Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to replace my water pump on a 2002 1800 VTXR and I am going to try and do it myself. Could someone help me with what I will need in advance to do this. Another question is this hard to do with not much experience fixing bikes. Any help here would be nice.

Thanks

Rob

·
Registered
10,672 Posts
You'll need Honda P/N 19200-MCH-000 WATER PUMP ASSY.
Coolant, I believe you'll need 2-2.5 quarts but its been a while so I may be off there.
Do an oil change while your at it being some will seep out when changing the pump so I just drain the oil before removing the pump.

You may also need the 2 coolant line gaskets that do not come with the water pump assy. If they look good and are not cracked they can be reused. I put a little bit of DC3 or super o-lube on them and keep going.

As for doing your own maintenance only you can decide that. Its easy for some and impossible for others. If you can read and follow the manual its not that bad IMO.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I changed my water pump about a year ago. Drain and change the oil while you are at it. Three quarts of coolant. It wasn't hard, just take your time. Replace both o-rings, as you will fight small leaks if you don't. Also, I agree, put some lubricant on the o-rings. They will slip in easier.

Took me maybe an hour to change mine. Get a Clymer Manual and it will lead you through it step by step. It is easier to do if it is jacked up, but can be done on the ground. Be careful with the bottom radiator hose so you don't cause a leak in your radiator.

I got my pump from DLP.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I had problems with the O-rings and it leaked.
I fought with it for a while then took it to a one man shop.
He had the same problem and then used thicker o-rings to fix it.
After that I found posts by other guys who had the same problem.

Hopefully it will go smoothly for you but if not take the o-ring to NAPA and ask them for something thicker.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Coolant, I believe you'll need 2-2.5 quarts but its been a while so I may be off there.
Do an oil change while your at it being some will seep out when changing the pump so I just drain the oil before removing the pump.

You may also need the 2 coolant line gaskets that do not come with the water pump assy. If they look good and are not cracked they can be reused. I put a little bit of DC3 or super o-lube on them and keep going.

As for doing your own maintenance only you can decide that. Its easy for some and impossible for others. If you can read and follow the manual its not that bad IMO.
thanks for the reply. Will do it myself and I hope it goes smooth...

Thanks again.....
Rob

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I changed my water pump about a year ago. Drain and change the oil while you are at it. Three quarts of coolant. It wasn't hard, just take your time. Replace both o-rings, as you will fight small leaks if you don't. Also, I agree, put some lubricant on the o-rings. They will slip in easier.

Took me maybe an hour to change mine. Get a Clymer Manual and it will lead you through it step by step. It is easier to do if it is jacked up, but can be done on the ground. Be careful with the bottom radiator hose so you don't cause a leak in your radiator.

I got my pump from DLP.
I will be careful with the bottom radiator hose.

Thanks...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had problems with the O-rings and it leaked.
I fought with it for a while then took it to a one man shop.
He had the same problem and then used thicker o-rings to fix it.
After that I found posts by other guys who had the same problem.

Hopefully it will go smoothly for you but if not take the o-ring to NAPA and ask them for something thicker.
I might just get thicker ones before I begin....

Thanks..

·
Registered
10,672 Posts
If I remember correctly they are a quad o-ring not a normal o-ring.

·
Registered
177 Posts
water pump

I got my water pump from e-bay, a new Honda pump, still in the box. Use the Honda part # on Yahoo or Google, and you should have a selection. Ditto on the oil, where the pump goes n the engine, oil will leak out. So drain it , or carefully lean it a lot to the right. And new O-rings is a must.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Totally curious but why are you changing it? Is it leaking?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was leaking, and I tried to tighten it down but it broke off. Fluid squirted everywhere and now I have to replace I figure. Don't know if it was leaking from the weep hole or from somewhere else?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I got my pump from DLP.
Okay, Called Partzilla and they have it for $154.03 plus 13.95 shipping. Free shipping if you spend 250 or more.

Here are the part number:

Pump: 192000-mch-000

They said it comes with an O-ring and bolts and stuff.

coolant line gaskets: 91315-mb0-013

and this one: 91315-mch-003

I this all I need? Also I broke off the drain bolt when I tried to tighten my old one. Will this new one be all I need or do I need to get a bolt out somehow. I'm not sure if it was the drain or weep bolt.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Okay, Called Partzilla and they have it for $154.03 plus 13.95 shipping. Free shipping if you spend 250 or more.

I this all I need? Also I broke off the drain bolt when I tried to tighten my old one. Will this new one be all I need or do I need to get a bolt out somehow. I'm not sure if it was the drain or weep bolt.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for the reply. Will do it myself and I hope it goes smooth...

Thanks again.....
Rob

1 - 14 of 14 Posts