Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm buying a leather vest with my gift certificate I got for Christmas. What should I be looking for in a vest. Is there somethings that you would recommend?

·
Registered
466 Posts
I like the 10 pocket vest. Good quality and convenience.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
If you are only going to wear it for summer riding then make sure of the following: Snaps instead of a zipper so vest extenders can be added for more ventilation, a nice inner pocket for your cell phone or MP3 is nice and check the pocket out for strong material. Mine tore soon after I bought it so anything on the left pocket falls down inside the vest. I also like for the outer pockets to be straight and not slanted unless the slanted ones have a zipper closure. This keeps stuff from falling out on the road.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Look for the words "Made in America" -

It would be a shame to spend the money from your gift certificate in such a way that it would help our country's enemies.

The market is flooded with leather goods made in Afghanistan and Pakistan - and they are inexpensive compared to what is made in the good old U.S.A.

Find a local person that works with leather goods and see if they can make you a custom vest - sort of an economic recovery program right in your own community.

Ron

·
Registered
199 Posts
depends on how heavy a vest you want also, farfrum.com has may vests. are you putting patches on it or just wearing it for looks? anyhow good luck.:D
nuttin in memphis

·
Registered
199 Posts
wrong name

as usual i had a brain f--t, the company i meant to tell you about is jayfrum.com, not farfrum.com.:shock: nuttin in memphis

·
Registered
94 Posts
Here is a few local places for you to check out.
Boot Coral on 615 in Mentor
ShadeTree out in Middlefield
City Leather in the Great Lakes Mall (Talk to Pandora)

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here is a few local places for you to check out.
Boot Coral on 615 in Mentor
ShadeTree out in Middlefield
City Leather in the Great Lakes Mall (Talk to Pandora)
thanks TG, Boot Coral is were my gift certificates are from.

·
Registered
12,797 Posts
Vests, being leather, are of different types. Some leather is soft, which will wear quickly. Some folks like that look. Mine is of a harder leather which will look newer longer. Depends on the look you want. Most I have seen have lots of pockets for stuff. There's tons of 'em on Ebay at way better prices than any of the more famous websites. Good luck with this most difficult decision. ;)

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Look for the words "Made in America" -

It would be a shame to spend the money from your gift certificate in such a way that it would help our country's enemies.

The market is flooded with leather goods made in Afghanistan and Pakistan - and they are inexpensive compared to what is made in the good old U.S.A.

Find a local person that works with leather goods and see if they can make you a custom vest - sort of an economic recovery program right in your own community.

Ron
Excellent advice.............:congrats:

·
Registered
490 Posts
its getting tougher to find items made in the USA, i looked for a jacket a few yrs ago at Americade, nothing there was made in USA, i settled for an import, but dont like it. would love to find one made here, that isnt too expensive, dont mind paying for quality. the import one i have is ok for now, but low quality in my opinion.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
its getting tougher to find items made in the USA, i looked for a jacket a few yrs ago at Americade, nothing there was made in USA, i settled for an import, but dont like it. would love to find one made here, that isnt too expensive, dont mind paying for quality. the import one i have is ok for now, but low quality in my opinion.
Some of these are on sale http://www.foxcreekleather.com/mensvests.phtml made in the USA and the quality is top notch along with it's customer service.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts