Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new owner of a 1800c. Little back story might help. Bought the bike 2006 1800C with 9100 miles about a month ago. I am a new bike rider, learned to ride on my old Shadow 750 last August. So I don't know the in's and out's of bikes yet. Wanted to upgrade to an 1800 and love it. Anyways, I bought the bike. Had the oil changed last week (not knowing when it was last changed, bought from an individual), had new Bridgestone tires put on it. Have rode it three times since changing the oil and new tires. The bike randomly makes a quick knock sound and vibrates the bike a little (can feel the vibration in my foot) doesn't shake the bike lol . Not a loud bang, but a knock. It randomly happens about once or twice a mile, then it won't happen for ten or more miles then another knock. I have never heard the knock while the bike was idling in my garage just while riding. I was afraid it may be something serious. Please help!!!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Could a lot of things or nothing at all.Did you check the wheel bearings and lube splines and check the flange bearing when changing the tires?Any brake noise or vibration in lever or pedal.When does it happen most under acceleration,going straight or in curves?
Is your kick stand spring good and tight. Best thing to do is get it on a jack and check all your nuts make sure your axels are not backing out maybe go through and re check pinch bolts and re torque axel nuts.Hope this helps I am not a mechanic by any means but have had many knocks and rattles and none have ever been anything serious but you gotta check.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought it could be bearings, but wouldn't that make a constant knock? Not just randomly every once in a while? I don't know just asking. I need to get on the bike today and determine if its during acceleration, deceleration, etc. I just know that I have never heard it while the bike was in idle, so I thought to rule out engine, but I may be wrong. Like I said, I know very little about bikes. Its loud enough for me to hear it while riding and I am almost sure, but need to make sure, but I think that I can only feel the vibration in my left food. So I thought it could be something slipping in the gear case. thank you for the help

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Na, someone posted that it could be wheel bearings. Since I just got my tires changed bout two weeks ago. I just thought that it wouldn't be random if it was wheel bearings. I will clean my terminals this afternoon and see if that helps. I may have loosened one, I have had my seat off here a lot lately putting a trickle charger on it. Just hoping that its something simple like that and not something expensive like drive shaft or engine problems. thanks again

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sounds like you're dropping a cylinder;

1. Tighten your battery cables
2. Do the ground fix, paying attention only to the "Common Electronics Ground" section as seen on the "How To;Step-by-Step" board here
http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205905

These are the Top 2 reasons for your symptoms
Ditto. I was having a similar issue. I bought plugs to do general service. When I went to take off the front right plug cable it just came off with the cover. All plugs looked good but I replaced them anyway. When everything was back together things got way more smooth.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Was the knock there before you changed tires? I would certainly check the front fork axle pinch bolts for tightness. It wouldn't surprise me if the left side was never tightened after the tire change.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Congratulations on the upgrade 750 to 1800 more thrust aye. All the post have good advice. You don’t say who did the oil change & tire install? If your not satisfied or think the “knock” started after their work why not take it back to them tell your story & have them take a look? Even a good garage makes a mistake once in a while. Or are you ready to become one with your machine and DIY? The tool buying begins now!! Good luck. Happy trails.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Knock

From day 1 I had a light knock - felt only with left foot on the floor board. Twice the Dealer couldn't find. Finally found that it was ? normal ? vibration cause by road bumps and the drive shaft and wheel movement as the bike went over the bumps. 160K Km (100K mile) later still does it never got worse.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'll through in my two cents worth as it is tough trying to describe knock and clunk sounds on a web forum.

1. Loose head stem - can cause a knock felt in the foot pegs. But careful here because over tightening will lead to high speed head shake.

....and take a look at the pic below of my shadow 750, bullet proof bikes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts