Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would happen if you ran your X without any oil for about a minute or so. This actually happened to me today as I emptied the oil a month ago only to realize that I was out of oil to replace it with. By the time I got the oil, I forgot to add any and like an idiot, I started it up and when I set it on the stand, it made a little bit of a screeching sound and I saw a little smoke coming from the right side of the rear cyclinder, I hit the kill switch immediately (after a minute of it running) . . . I added the oil (feeling like an absolute dork) and started it back up again. There was still a little smoke coming from the same spot but it didn't smell like anything in particular (burning oil, burning metal, etc.). I can't remember if I put any WD-40 or some other rust inhibitor in that area before storage but it's running much better with oil (go figure). Any possibility of permanent major damage?

Thanks -

(This is my third post referencing a stupid mistake I made . . . this is not a good day)

Andy

·
Registered
498 Posts
Andy,

Happens to the best of us... I too pulled this dumb mistake almost 4000 miles ago and so far have not seen any problems from it... I ran mine for a good 3-4 minutes trying to figure out "where that wierd noise" was coming from.

Mike

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
If the oil was drained a month ago you may have caused some damage.If the oil was just drained I'd say you didn't hurt it but after a month the oil would have drained away from the engine parts. I would fill it and and run it but after a few hundred miles I would send an oil sample to a lab like Blackstone to check for wear metals. It could save the cost of an engine.

·
Registered
360 Posts
The majority if the oil will "drain away", but that does not mean that all of the parts are bone dry. If you oil a ball bearing and set it on the shelf for a month, when you go back to pick it up you will have oil on your fingers. It will not be a significant amount, but it won't all drain away.

Ever use a funnel to add oil to your vehicles? I go back to that funnel about once every 6 months and guess what? It's still got oil on it. Your engine parts are NOT bone dry.

I have done something similar with my truck and it still runs great. It has been about 8 years since I did it. Not one engine problem. I would say you will be ok.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Doubtful if any damage was done... other than the rod (I believe to be an insert) it's an anti-friction bearing engine (balls,rollers, etc) and there's usually enough of a film to cover an "oops"...think most of us have done it to something or another... as far as the cylinders go, Honda is most likely using a high silicon aluminum alloy... they're incredibly tough and forgiving.... pistons, same thing... rings...most likely enough film to survive.... The rod bearing...fortunately oil, in some amount, is being spun out of the crank to the journal.. doubtful if it's damaged.... Ride it.....

·
Registered
109 Posts
It may not be directly applicable, but here's a story anyway:

A friend of mine had an older nissan pickup truck. It was a beater, so he kind of abused it and regular maintenance never really happened.

We had decided to take the MSF course and were driving to the second day of class. On the way was a big steap hill, and as we neared the top of it, the truck started getting slower and slower. Eventually he was standing on the gas pedal and we barely made it over the hill before the engine died. He put in the clutch and we coasted down and exit and into a Taco Bell parking lot.

Not knowing anything about cars, we weren't sure what we were going to do. Eventually we checked the dip stick. Dry. Not even greasy...bone dry.

We went across the street to the gas station, bought 4 quarts of oil and put them in. To our amazement the truck started and ran. We even made it to our MSF class on time.

The scary part is, the exact same thing happened to the truck again about a year later. While the engine wasn't in the greatest of shape (it burned a lot of oil after the second incident), it DID keep running for about 2 years and 15 or 20k miles after the first loss of oil.

I still don't know any thing about car or motorcycle mechanics. It may not have been good for your bike, but who knows? Maybe you'll luck out and not have any problems.

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
wccoman , Send a PM to the Tappet brothers Vtxrocketeer or Tapper , the click & clack of the vtxoa just to see what they say...

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good feedback guys, much appreciated - I discovered what the smoke was . . . I sprayed some WD-40 or some such in and around the exhaust port when I had the exhaust off to do the clutch spring mod a couple of months ago, it was burning off. The only thing I can't explain, only speculate, was the screechy noise I heard - maybe the oil pump? Damn I feel like an idiot - I tend not to make mistakes this stupid!

Another observation - after this happened, I immediately added oil to the bike and started it again. After running fine for a short minute or so, I decided to drain the oil from the bike and refill so that I knew exactly how much oil is in there and to look for any shrap or filings in the oil. The oil looked fine that came out of the main drain, but the front drain had a light brownish deposit of some type towards the top of the oil in the pan - almost like a little film or something- very strange.
I put exactly 3.5qts back in there (didn't replace the filter) and ran it again for a few minutes - sounded normal. . . . Still a little worried though but I'm not sure there's anything I can do at this point? Unless, like Silver said, send a sample in but some say that may not do much either . . .

Tapper? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
An oil sample sent to Blackstone would be compared to a base line of like engines for wear metals. It would definitely tell you if you hurt the engine and to some extent where that damage is.

V

·
0 Posts
Sounds OK for me – most V-2 engines fail first on the piston rings. The bearings on the piston rod/crank shaft are not infected by just one minute.
As you said you did not change the oil filter – so you had some oil left in the motor.

Just a word on the side – no oil (not even Slick50, hehe) replaces an oil filter! Like your kidneys if they are fail – no matter what blood you got without a fully function kidney you are in bad shape…makes sense?

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
I agree, it should be OK. A friend of mine rode his CRF450 10 miles on the trails with no oil. It finally locked up and he realized what he had done. The only damage was a cam bearing. Pretty minor considering how long it ran without oil. I don't think your 1 min. hurt anything.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts