Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Wednesday, I walked into my boss's office to tell her I had completed a major project I had been working on. When I walked in her door, I had what you could call a huge brain fart. All of a sudden, I could not talk and I felt like I had withdrawn into a barrel, the voice of my boss seemed very distant. For about 30 minutes I could not communicate and did not know what was going on. I never lost conciousness. The boss called an ambulance and I was taken away to the hospital. By the time I got to the hospital, I was fine and I was talking. I asked the emt in the ambulance why I was going to the hospital and he said that when he first took my blood pressure it was 220 over 120 and I had all the symtoms of a stroke.
A cat scan showed that I had a small stroke. Fortunately, I have no bad side effects except for the momentary loss of memory.
Now, I'm on blood thinner and will be indefinitely. The doctor says that with the blood thinner there is about a 2% chance that I could have another stroke.
My question and concern is whether I should keep riding a bike. My thoughts are that the weather sucks and I will not be riding for the next couple of months anyway. If all goes well during that time, then I should continue riding my bike. I feel that with the blood thinner I'm actually less likely to have a stroke than I would have been if none of the above would have happened. The doctor has not restricted me. I have thought alot about what would have happened if I had been in a cage or on a bike when I had the stroke. I think if I had been in heavy traffic on an interstate I would have probably wrecked. However, if it had been low traffic and low speeds, I think I could have stopped but I don't think I could have got the vehicle off the road.
I'm for keeping on riding. My blood pressure is normal, the high numbers above were caused by the stroke. If I have any more problems, I would certainly re-evaluate my decision.
What would you do?

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
thats pretty scary.I hope you are OK.I have had a few times that happened to me.Like lights on nobody home for a minute.I,m going to get checked out soon.Could be bad while riding and all of a sudden you get a major brain fart.:yikes:

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Dog

First let me say sorry to hear about your stroke and I would do whatever I could to prevent one from happening again if that is possible. As crazy as this sounds I would rather have a heart attack then a stroke as strokes can leave a person in rough shape.

As far as riding... I would ride till I was unable to handle a bike... hopefully when I'm in my late 80's or 90's;) Then it's a trike:doorag:

My thoughts are, could you even imagine how many folks are out on the roads 'impaired' in some way or another, either drugs, booze, health problems, falling asleep & the list goes on...

When the Good Lord pulls your ticket... he knows if your spose to take others with you or not... Lifes too short not to enjoy it! IMHO

·
Registered
181 Posts
Did you have any sort of feeling before it happened that would give you a clue that it was about to happen? I mean something like people that have dabilitating migrane headaches say they can tell when one is about to start. If it came on all of a sudden without any warning, I would have to say go with your Doctors advice. Im sure he can give you some sort of percentage chance that it could happen again. Heck, half the guys I see on motorcycles are a heart attack waiting to happen. If the percentage of it happening again are low, I personally would probably not do any long distance trips for a year or so, then go back to normal. Mostly, the only person you are a real danger to on a motorcycle is yourself, so way the odds and Good luck.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
First, I'm glad to hear it was a mild stroke with no lasting effects.
If it were me with your numbers, I'd keep riding.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
I live to ride, period. Were it me, I'd keep on keepin on.... tough call.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Sorry to hear this. First off, I'm glad to hear that you are ok, I just recently had a friend who had a severe stroke, and at this time he is walking a little, can basically only say a few words and his right side is weak, and can only eat soft food like pudding as he has trouble swallowing. He also rides and it is hard for me to see and think of him in his current condition. The guy is always full of life and ready to go... and he also rides. I would say if the doctor is fine with it, I say ride. Simply put, everyone here loves to ride, and will keep on riding as long as ii is in their power to do so. I would hate for you to decide to give it up always wondering if something would happen. A 2% chance is very small, and as I said, if the doc says it is ok, then ride. I realize that things like this can make you think maybe I shouldn't do this or shouldn't do that, but you also can't roll over and stop life. My friend may not be able to ride in the future, you my friend can...

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
It all really depends on how YOU feel. Sorry to hear about what happened. Many of us take our health for granted. Good luck and I hope you live long and lucky.

·
Registered
209 Posts
2% chance is like no chance at all, Hell we all have a better chance than that of getting run over. If it were me I would keep riding. Like someone else said, we don't know when or how our ticket will be punched.
I for one would rather go out doing something I loved.:pepper1:

·
Registered
515 Posts
Man that had to be scary, I feel for you Brother. Just let that be your warning shot. Do all you can to make sure that you are as healthy as you can get. Research on your own to find out what you can do to lesson the chances of that happening again. God bless you my friend and I hope you get a good diagnosis.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Keep on blasting! It's to late in the game to sit on the sidelines.

·
Troll Patrol
4,743 Posts
If you don't already get and stay active in some sort of exercise routine,
get rid of fatty & prefabbed foods, if you drink soft drink (especially "diet") eliminate them.
Stress is number one in undermining our health & wellness.
Riding is therapy for me and helps to balance out the stress level immensely. :mcrider:
It's never to late to do the body right. ~M

·
Registered
821 Posts
I would keep riding, 2% is a very low chance and riding is a great stress release. Glad you had no lasting damage and everything is ok now.

·
Registered
621 Posts
get rid of fatty & prefabbed foods, if you drink soft drink (especially "diet") eliminate them.
Riding is therapy for me and helps to balance out the stress level immensely. :mcrider:
She's absolutely right. Change your eating habbits and exercize a bit. I had a heart attack then quad bi-pass 12 years ago, also listen to your doctor's advice, but you don't have to give up rideing.
Ed

·
Registered
193 Posts
Sorry about your episode. Stroke is what I have the pleasure to be alert to with my family history. You seem to have written your own answer in your comments. First off, the condition is now identified and you and your doctor are taking corrective and preventative measures. The percentages are now in your favor and you have had the "opportunity" to feel what the onset is like. You have time for the next several months to see if anything more happens before riding season. You can't really consider that you will be able to control your bike if another happens while you're riding though...remember that loss of motor control is highly likely, so clutch, brake, manuver to the roadside may be beyond your physical capability....
BUT, Life is to live, If it was my decision, I'd ride without fear until factors prove otherwise. Our tickets can be pulled at anytime by any cause no matter what we do to avoid the inevitable. Take care Brother.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Last Wednesday, I walked into my boss's office to tell her I had completed a major project I had been working on. When I walked in her door, I had what you could call a huge brain fart. All of a sudden, I could not talk and I felt like I had withdrawn into a barrel, the voice of my boss seemed very distant. For about 30 minutes I could not communicate and did not know what was going on. I never lost conciousness. The boss called an ambulance and I was taken away to the hospital. By the time I got to the hospital, I was fine and I was talking. I asked the emt in the ambulance why I was going to the hospital and he said that when he first took my blood pressure it was 220 over 120 and I had all the symtoms of a stroke.
A cat scan showed that I had a small stroke. Fortunately, I have no bad side effects except for the momentary loss of memory.
Now, I'm on blood thinner and will be indefinitely. The doctor says that with the blood thinner there is about a 2% chance that I could have another stroke.
My question and concern is whether I should keep riding a bike. My thoughts are that the weather sucks and I will not be riding for the next couple of months anyway. If all goes well during that time, then I should continue riding my bike. I feel that with the blood thinner I'm actually less likely to have a stroke than I would have been if none of the above would have happened. The doctor has not restricted me. I have thought alot about what would have happened if I had been in a cage or on a bike when I had the stroke. I think if I had been in heavy traffic on an interstate I would have probably wrecked. However, if it had been low traffic and low speeds, I think I could have stopped but I don't think I could have got the vehicle off the road.
I'm for keeping on riding. My blood pressure is normal, the high numbers above were caused by the stroke. If I have any more problems, I would certainly re-evaluate my decision.
What would you do?
Hey, if everybody who had a stroke and recovered were to quit driving, well, there'd be fewer cars on the road :)

Any one of us while riding could have a heart attack, stroke, rock hit us in the eye, someone shoot at us, car swerve into our lane, etc, etc.

No lasting damage, so while wait for the next one that will likely never come? I'd think there are more dangerous things that you face everyday on the road while riding than a low percentage change of a recurring stroke.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I would keep riding until the doctors and DMV revoke your license. That happened recently to a friend of mine with diabetes when his vision declined.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
I had something very similar happen to me 6 years ago. I was at work also and it was like I zoned out. I did drive myself to my doctors office, and he called an ambulance after running an EKG. I spent 7 days in the hospital having all kinds of tests run. I have been on Plavix (blood thinner) since, along with an 81 mg aspirin and assorted other pills. I have been riding for the past 5 years with no problems. I do go see my doctor every 3 months for checkups, blood work and other things. I also had a total knee replacement 3 years ago that was a success. I was off the bike for 7 weeks.

You will need to take it easy until your body gets adjusted to the blood thinners, but there should be no after effects once you adjust; except for bruising easily.

I have had no more "issues" since that time 7 years ago, but then as Crew says opinions vary.

Good luck with your health

Dan

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
+1
What she said!
Just don't take the school coach approach to exercise, 110% is stupid, never fight through the pain, and 70% is fine, and never push through pain.
We are @65% water, Water is Good!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts