Honda VTX Forum banner

Add Filter to What's New to filter out Hot Topic posts?

• Yes, I would like the filter option for those that choose to use it.

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • No, I want to see ALL new posts and force other to see them too.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't care what posts show in What's New and others that care should 'get over it'.

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this site would be greatly improved now by simply adding a filter option to filter out HOT TOPIC posts from displaying in the What's New list of posts.

VTXOA allows us all a place to express our controversial views (i.e. politics, religion, etc.) in the HOT BOX forums and wisely set it up so you need to join to access this forum. The downside to me is that checking the What's New filter also displays HOT TOPIC new posts that to me pollute the experience of this site when I don't care to see new posts from HOT TOPIC.

A new joining member has already expressed a complaint about too much politics being displayed on this web site and this is my point, even being a member who votes for political posts to be allowed in the HOT BOX. Seeing 10 new political posts a day listed in the What's New is spoiling my experience with this site and it could simply be fixed by adding a filter feature to the filters already there.

VOTE TO ADD A FILTER TO SCREEN OUT HOT TOPIC POSTS FROM WHAT'S NEW!

Reactions: VTXer_wannaB

·
Premium Member
2,632 Posts
HOP I think you can accomplish that now by selecting "Show ONLY > Followed Content" and don't follow the hotbox. I don't disagree with you though, that a more granular filter would be good for some.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Or quit the Hot Box and never see them again.
Sorry, this ain't a safe place Snowflake.

Sometimes life isn't all about us, it's also about what others may want. There isn't anything macho about tolerating something you don't like when you could change it instead.

My suggestion wouldn't infringe on anyone yet would allow new and existing members to have options not now available. Most of us like options, not just 'Snowflakes'.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
I, for one, enjoy reading the HB posts. I also believe there are more like me that simply read through it. Whether I agree or disagree with the the topic of the post, I find it informative. I admit I'm not at all a contributor, I appreciate those that are. The writing skills of some here are excellent, even if some choose to cut and paste, it saves me a great deal of time when they are the ones to bring it to our/my attention. I mostly use my phone and typing is not my thing. I do read a lot and the HB is my go to. Additionally, I think the vote choices are biased. A simple yes or no would probably yield a true outcome to your survey. Just don't let it get under your skin. After all, it is titled The Hot Box. Just my two cents. Take it or leave it.

·
Old Goat
25,131 Posts
This is first and foremost a MC/VTX forum....one of the best or at least was....the internet is vast and plenty of other places to spout what ever BS ....floats his/her boat.....on here its just clutter and white noise....at least .For me.....some of the things said on here would get your ass in a crack if said in pube-lick.....IM sure God loves his Keyboard commandos to... (y)

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I didn't even realize there was a 'What's New' button until someone mentioned it in a recent thread. I have tried it a few times over the last few days. I like it.

Humm, guess what I noticed? Most of the NEW POSTS are from the 'Hot Box.' I am not a member of the Hot Box, but it is obvious that a lot of this board's members are. So, why would anyone want to deny them of their opportunity to be heard? That sounds very unAmerican to me.

No, I don't want a filter. I think everyone on this board is over 18 and therefore able to chose for themselves what they want to read. Let everyone choose if they want to open a post from the Hot Box. It is clearly stated where the post is located.

If you essentially remove the Hot Box by filtering access to it, it will cause an increasing exodus from this site. The site is struggling enough, it seems.

Regards,
Joe T.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I agree...most of the new posts are from the HB...

Frankly, I could do without all the negativity...a filter would be appreciated...

For the "my body, my choice" crowd, why is it unAmerican to limit the speech we agree with, but not....aw, never mind

#wethepeople
#wereallamericansletsactlikeit

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Some need to grow a pair. Just like the TV, there are other buttons such as ignore, delete, OFF.

·
Old Goat
25,131 Posts
Some need to grow a pair. Just like the TV, there are other buttons such as ignore, delete, OFF.
I’m old ,still have a pair ...when I can find them...I’m all about freedom of speech no matter the crap...what continues to rankle me is when said crap is posted in a thread noT related to said crap....(y)

But your right I for 1.. absolutely know where the EXIT is....

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What some of the replies in this thread are revealing is that some misunderstand what is being suggested.
To be clear;
👉Only a filter is being suggested to allow users a choice to see or NOT see new Hot Box posts listed in What's New.​
👉No such filter presently exists.​
👉No suggestion is up to ban the Hot Box.​
👉No suggestion is up to take away anyone's choice to see Hot Box posts.​
Most reasonable people would be fine with letting others have choices, and even if they don't personally care one way or the other about the thing being chosen, would still allow those that do care to make changes that make them happy. This is all I'm suggesting; Add an option to the current list of options for viewing Whats New content that allows Hot Box posts to be sorted out of what displays.​
I'm a member of the Hot Box and have posted many times, and still choose to be a member, however I'd like the option for me and others who've expressed dislike of seeing Hot Box posts when they aren't looking for them in the What's New list of threads.​
Telling members who don't like something that may easily be fixed with no affect to them to 'grow a pair' is unnecessarily 🚫intolerant and counter-productive to making this forum a place where everyone can enjoy visiting.​

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
It's simple. If you don't like how something is presented, DON'T GO THERE!

·
Premium Member
6,777 Posts
As adults, we are certainly able to make choices, and exercise those choices. I don't click on everything in the what's new list, and I don't miss it. I completely understand, the choice to see, or not see the hotbox posts, but the choice already exists to ignore them or not. Personally I see no value in having the choice to hide it, but if it helps to make this a safe place for those sensitive to the header content, then whatever makes the majority happy. I think, personally, that it would detract from the board. JMHO.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It is well established on this web site that political content is not welcome anywhere but in the Hot Box. This isn't my personal preference, but rather that of the VTXOA website owners who understand political content forced on reader/members who don't welcome it, could result in them abandoning the site. It seems counter to that intent to then display Hot Box content (Thread headings) that are political in nature in the What's New list of posts.

Why some of you have a hard time allowing others to have a choice is beyond me.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
The second option in the poll says it all about the author. "No, I want to see ALL new posts and force other to see them too."
That's straight out of the Alinsky playbook Rules For Radicals. It was designed to make that option look distasteful by the way it was worded.
Nobody will be forced to do anything although the author wants you to think that.
Nice try author

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Thanks eperk. Thats how I see it, just couldn't articulate as well as you. I would say your point applies to option #3 as well.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I’ll offer my .02, take it for what it’s worth.

I was unaware of the Hotbox until the site changed format, I liked it the old way where I didn’t see it. Not because I’m offended by the headers or content, but it’s mostly US politics which I have zero interest in. To be honest I have little interest in Canadian politics. I have filtered it out for the most part, but the filter doesn’t work on my 3rd party app for viewing the site so it clutters up my new post feed. I’ve learned to deal with it, but would be happier if I had the option to turn it off.

Sitting on my VTX making vroom vroom sounds.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I took smurfy71's advice and set up the forums that I would like to follow. Included in that list is OTE. I placed one member on my "ignore" list and haven't seen anymore postings from the Hotbox when I hit the What's New icon. Problem solved...I think...I'll keep you posted. No offence intended towards anyone just saying what is working for me.

·
Old Goat
25,131 Posts
I took smurfy71's advice and set up the forums that I would like to follow. Included in that list is OTE. I placed one member on my "ignore" list and haven't seen anymore postings from the Hotbox when I hit the What's New icon. Problem solved...I think...I'll keep you posted. No offence intended towards anyone just saying what is working for me.
It’s a big Net...inter...should be room for everybody...(y)

1 - 20 of 87 Posts