Honda VTX Forum banner

Add Filter to What's New to filter out Hot Topic posts?

• Yes, I would like the filter option for those that choose to use it.

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • No, I want to see ALL new posts and force other to see them too.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't care what posts show in What's New and others that care should 'get over it'.

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters
61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
6,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
I suggest we keep personal feelings and quarrels out of this generic discussion.
We should be discussing the benefit of the suggestion instead.
Regardless of who worded what how, the request is valid and could stand some looking into.
Admins, is that even a possibility with this SW we're running now?
For the sake of the topic and staying on it I deleted my post that strayed into personal feelings. Thanks for agreeing this is a valid request.(y)

Reactions: DrDolittle

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts
FTR, I see nothing wrong with better filter options. I didn't vote because of the wording. The wording seems to say that if you vote for the 1st option you made a great choice. But If you vote option 2 or 3 you're an a-hole.

·
Premium Member
12,023 Posts
FTR, I see nothing wrong with better filter options. I didn't vote because of the wording. The wording seems to say that if you vote for the 1st option you made a great choice. But If you vote option 2 or 3 you're an a-hole.
Meh, that's just sister's basement of pancakes way of nuthugging his own personal opinion in the poll.
Is normal.
I don't have any problem with whatever filter, though.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
For the sake of the topic and staying on it I deleted my post that strayed into personal feelings. Thanks for agreeing this is a valid request.(y)
No need to thank me. I did not agree with you for any personal reasons. I just happen to have the same opinion. Coincidence.
I normally try to stay unbiased and logical to solve a problem but sometimes the damn human side shows and slips in. Some are better at suppressing feelings and emotions than others.
I still say non-MC subforums should be optional but I am not an admin and have no pull at all. I am just a measly user. I wonder if the admins already gave up on this discussion and moved on. :)

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
For the benefit of the thread topic I just deleted my former comment. How about you do the same?
What ??? Delete this former comment?
"Well darn. I believe you just bothered to answer me.
Thank you I am having a great day.
"Here's your sign" as they say."

Pretty innocuous if you ask me.
No thanks.

·
Registered
6,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Apparently some people have taken exception to the word choice of the second option in the poll;

Quote: "No, I want to see ALL new posts and force other to see them too."

There are all manner of poll options that could have been injected, but I had to narrow it down to a few. I suppose I could have given an option where people voted against having a filter and not mentioned that that option forces others to see the posts, but that would be leaving out important information about the effect of a NO vote.

In all honesty when I wrote this I was simply trying to imagine the mindset of someone who wouldn't choose option one, that is to allow users a choice. Why anyone wouldn't want to allow others a choice was/is beyond me so I simply wrote what happens when you vote not to allow others a choice, namely that you are forcing others to see the posts. Like it or not, if someone votes against allowing others a choice they are expressing acceptance of the status quo, that is that that those using the What's New filter are forced to see Hot Box listings. If people say wanting this is being a jerk, I agree.

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts
The wording reminds me of something "Wheres Joe" Biden recently said to a black audience, "if you don't support me you're not black"

·
Premium Member
6,781 Posts
Apparently some people have taken exception to the word choice of the second option in the poll;

Quote: "No, I want to see ALL new posts and force other to see them too."

There are all manner of poll options that could have been injected, but I had to narrow it down to a few. I suppose I could have given an option where people voted against having a filter and not mentioned that that option forces others to see the posts, but that would be leaving out important information about the effect of a NO vote.

In all honesty when I wrote this I was simply trying to imagine the mindset of someone who wouldn't choose option one, that is to allow users a choice. Why anyone wouldn't want to allow others a choice was/is beyond me so I simply wrote what happens when you vote not to allow others a choice, namely that you are forcing others to see the posts. Like it or not, if someone votes against allowing others a choice they are expressing acceptance of the status quo, that is that that those using the What's New filter are forced to see Hot Box listings. If people say wanting this is being a jerk, I agree.
Being totally serious and honest, the options should be agree, disagree or don't care. Any conditions, or effects impose your opinion. A poll should reveal other's opinions, not your own. That's my opinion on the subject anyway. That would be like putting on a political ballot, "Donald Trump, Republican, for better America" Or "Anyone else, any other party, for a destroyed country, and a ruined economy, knowing you might get just anybody as President". Regardless of which you choose, if you don't believe Trump is the best choice, you don't have an option to vote for the person or result, you want to see. The choices only reflect the opinion of the poll maker. For instance, I frankly don't care, but I don't think that you, as someone like you, who thinks this would be beneficial should "get over it". I think if you think it's an issue, then my vote shouldn't swing it the other way. Conversely, if someone feels you're being far too sensitive and you're being a jerk for bringing it up, my vote should not count to swing it in that direction. My vote counts in that, it lends credibility to your request, but it doesn't swing the vote one way or the other. If more agree with your position, it is actually a vote in your favor, if the vote goes the other way, it's still half a vote in your favor, because it supports your point without indicating it is an issue for me personally. Different than the analogy I used, abstaining from a vote lends zero credibility vote to your point. I don't believe anyone should just "get over it", and I don't believe anyone who wants things to remain is being a jerk. One can have an opinion that doesn't align with yours without being a "jerk" to everyone else here. They certainly would not be a jerk to me, so your poll is for you, not for all members of the board. IOW, you missed the opportunity to garner support without really strong feelings one way or the other.

·
Premium Member
6,781 Posts
I forgot to add, HOP, there really is no need to respond to argue why you did the poll the way you did. Clearly you do not owe me, or anyone else an explanation, and if you still feel you approached this in the best way possible, then it's all good by me. I don't care to argue opinion. I have mine and you have yours. I only intended to share an opinion that would have, again in my opinion, served your purpose as I understand it better. Nothing more. It seriously was not intended with any malice, and certainly was not intended to berate you or anyone else. Only, to perhaps, point out a possible oversight. That's all.

Peace ☮🙏

Reactions: lofty and vtox

·
Registered
10,557 Posts
My own interpretation was that you worded your poll like a dickhead for one of two reasons; you were ignorant of the fact that the list can easily be filtered (as explained by TinBC on pg 1), or because you are a dickhead. But maybe a combination of these options is plausible too.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Being totally serious and honest, the options should be agree, disagree or don't care. Any conditions, or effects impose your opinion. A poll should reveal other's opinions, not your own. That's my opinion on the subject anyway. That would be like putting on a political ballot, "Donald Trump, Republican, for better America" Or "Anyone else, any other party, for a destroyed country, and a ruined economy, knowing you might get just anybody as President". Regardless of which you choose, if you don't believe Trump is the best choice, you don't have an option to vote for the person or result, you want to see. The choices only reflect the opinion of the poll maker. For instance, I frankly don't care, but I don't think that you, as someone like you, who thinks this would be beneficial should "get over it". I think if you think it's an issue, then my vote shouldn't swing it the other way. Conversely, if someone feels you're being far too sensitive and you're being a jerk for bringing it up, my vote should not count to swing it in that direction. My vote counts in that, it lends credibility to your request, but it doesn't swing the vote one way or the other. If more agree with your position, it is actually a vote in your favor, if the vote goes the other way, it's still half a vote in your favor, because it supports your point without indicating it is an issue for me personally. Different than the analogy I used, abstaining from a vote lends zero credibility vote to your point. I don't believe anyone should just "get over it", and I don't believe anyone who wants things to remain is being a jerk. One can have an opinion that doesn't align with yours without being a "jerk" to everyone else here. They certainly would not be a jerk to me, so your poll is for you, not for all members of the board. IOW, you missed the opportunity to garner support without really strong feelings one way or the other.
So could we agree on this? :

O Yes, I would like the filter option
O No, I want to see all new posts
O I don't care what posts are shown in What"s New

Reactions: Harkon and pushrod

·
Registered
6,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
My own interpretation was that you worded your poll like a dickhead for one of two reasons; you were ignorant of the fact that the list can easily be filtered (as explained by TinBC on pg 1), or because you are a dickhead. But maybe a combination of these options is plausible too.

If you define being a "dickhead" as someone who states the facts, I'm a dickhead. The fact is, if you vote not to change anything you are effectively voting to force others to see Hot Topic posts in the What's New filtered posts. Arguing that there are work-a-rounds or alternatives to being forced to see still doesn't alter the standing fact of circumstance.

You and others can inject all manner of imagined evilness into the statement, but nobody is forcing anyone to embrace that choice. My wording it as I did ensures nobody votes 'NO' without realizing the consequences (forcing others).

As to your work-a-round, the post you refer too is quoted below (re-read) and it doesn't solve the problem to Ignore A member. One would have to ignore all members who might post in the Hot Box to make this 'fix' work. Also, you seem to miss the fact that some people might like to have access to the Hot Box (I'm one who does) without having to set up the forum to un-follow (if that is even an option).

So far no admin had posted a solution whereby members who don't want to see Hot Box posts listed in What's New can do so. If there is a solution that works, there is no need for a filter and this thread is entirely based on mostly my misinformation/ignorance how to do it.

I will admit that my 3 poll choice injected an attitude. The attitude was based on most of what I've seen on this site, that is if one doesn't like something that doesn't affect them, they should 'get over it'. Since close to half of the poll responses voted this way, it appears my injected attitude largely fits.

I took smurfy71's advice and set up the forums that I would like to follow. Included in that list is OTE. I placed one member on my "ignore" list and haven't seen anymore postings from the Hotbox when I hit the What's New icon. Problem solved...I think...I'll keep you posted. No offence intended towards anyone just saying what is working for me.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
He's someone' s passive aggressive ??? :)

Completely enamored by "dicks".(n):unsure:

Favors Cheap names, can't address an issue without them.:poop::poop::poop:

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
phsyco.JPG

·
Registered
311 Posts
When I joined the forum the hotbox was a user group named "Tuff skins". You had to join it to see it's content.
Everything went public with the last forum change.

This thread is going nowhere. If you are really interested in seeing a change, you might try this. It's all in tabs at the bottom of the screen. A Canadian based company.. Ha. That might be interesting.

Who can I contact with questions or complaints?

You can contact our Moderators and Administrators by starting a conversation. You are required to be logged in to do so. Optionally, you can contact a VerticalScope administrator on our Contact Us page, or by phone or email at:

VerticalScope Inc.
111 Peter Street, Suite 901
Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada
Phone: 416-341-8950

[email protected]

Reactions: House O' Pain

·
Registered
6,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
So could we agree on this? :

O Yes, I would like the filter option
O No, I want to see all new posts
O I don't care what posts are shown in What"s New
In retrospect, these choices are probably what I should have gone with except the second option doesn't let the voter know that a NO vote forces others to also keep seeing what some don't want to see (Hot Box posts in What's New). I suppose I could have gone with the above and then explained the details/effects of a yes or no vote in my OP's first paragraph, but it's all a moot point now isn't it?

·
Registered
6,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
You can contact our Moderators and Administrators by starting a conversation. You are required to be logged in to do so. Optionally, you can contact a VerticalScope administrator on our Contact Us page, or by phone or email at:
Thanks for the information. I just used the suggested address to see if I could direct the 'powers that be' towards this post topic to at least provide an official reply.

I'm encouraged that zero members so far what option# 2 of the poll choices, which means nobody wants what is in place, that is forcing members to see Hot Box posts shown the What's New simply because they want to see them.

Reactions: StarrRider

·
Old Goat
25,137 Posts
U know if I can filter my email...u would think u could here....having said that...I didnt vote ...since I dont care about the Hot Box...and ignore does everything I want it too...I can appreciate those that would like to see a change...good luck

·
Premium Member
6,781 Posts
Reactions: RBS and DrDolittle
61 - 80 of 92 Posts