Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you ride the 1,000Mi. in a loop so your 1,000Mi. is completed close to home, or do you have to ride 1,000Mi. in kinda of 1 direction, then another 1,000Mi. back?

I would maybe try it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
This is a link to the Iron Butt Association. It has all the information about the rides you need to know.

http://www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm

A friend and I did the 1500 mile ride over Memorial Day weekend. We were both surprised when we made it in time. After fighting the winds on I40 from Sante Fe, NM to Phoenix, AZ. There were times it felt like we were riding at a 45 degree angle.

·
Registered
154 Posts
You can do a loop but you have to keep very good records. Out 500 and back 500 was easier for me. Gardner, Ks. to Shreveport, La and back. With a little detour through Paris, Tx. to get my picture in front of the "Eiffel Tower".

The IBA site has a lot of very good info, follow it, I didn't and regretted it. Riding through Arkansas on a winding two lane highway at 1am is not fun. Four lane is the way to go especially at night.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
IMHO, Loops are more interesting, assuming you have them set and planned well, major cities with 4 lanes for night riding, two lane non crowded highways in the day are less stressful. Helps if you have some sort of connection with two places on the loop. For me, mentally I look forward to the next turn if I want to be in the city. The mental MPG gas calculations while on the bike are fun too. A headwind will kill your MPG, but a tail wind will increase it. BTW, just because there is a gas station listed on the GPS, doesn't mean its open past 7pm. Yes, I found that out one night at 9pm in the middle of nowhere.

But then just jumping on the superslab straight out and back will get you 1000 miles, it really isn't that interesting. More of an endurance than an experience. At least there are gas stations with reliable receipts.

Worse part is when you can't get a properly dated and timed receipt or official witness at a stop. Then you waste 45 minutes or over an hour finding one at odd hours of the night. I went through that once and it turned me off to documenting the ride to be offical. Now I just do long rides because I like to.

Personally I prefer to leave for long rides at 4am or 5am at the latest. You beat traffic and get to watch the sun rise while on a bike. If you really want to get into it, get a fuel cell. I have one installed on my 1800c and I have a portable one for my Kawi Concours I never bothered to mount up.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I agree loops make for a more interesting ride and I'm not a fan of the interstates either but they are your best bet for making good time.

Also I agree with leaving before rush hour. I decided to leave after rush hour and it wasn't a problem at all heading out. Coming back I was a few hours ahead of my 24hrs. and hit morning rush hour. Not a fun way to end a 21hr ride.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts