Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best summer weight mesh protective jacket? Why do you like it. etc. Ive looked at Joe Rocket, First Gear, Teknic, and Olympia AirGlide. So far I like the Olympia the best. Just too hot for year round leather. Also anyone wear Hood Jeans?
Tell me all about them. Please. Thanks :?:

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have the Joe Rocket Phoenix, and like it a lot. Great air flow, nicely adjustable, and lots of armor. You'll look like you are wearing football pads, but its comfortable in the heat. One guy said I look like a Ninja Turtle in it, but I don't think it looks that bad.

·
Registered
35 Posts
ALL AROUND JACKET

I bought my VTX in early march and it was still cold when I picked it up. I saw several jackets in the shop and this one caught my eye. The Powershift Jacket from Power Trip is a great all around jacket.

Features

Combined cowhide and heavy duty 500d Hitena® nylon outer

Meta Sport System™ features removable panels that reveal Heavy duty Polymide mesh shell, Patent Pending

Perforated high-density armor in shoulders, elbows/forearms and back

Zipper-controlled vents

Metal main zipper

Removable 100% waterproof inner liner

Sleeves are pre-curved and angled forward

Adjustable waistband

Reflective stripe

It is three jackets in one. It is a bit pricy ($299.99 to $319.99) but I have found that on cold mornings I want nothing else and as the day warms up I can remove the shell and I have a nice mesh jacket.

·
Registered
443 Posts
my neighbor has a Motoboss......much less bulky than the rocket and has zip in/out lining.....Its padded but you dont look like the Hulk riding dwon the hiway....Thats what I would recommend over any that Ive seen so far..........

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
I like the Joe Rocket, even in the Houston heat, it has air flow and a lining that zips in and out. I took out the spine pad because of the back rest on the ultimate seat.

·
Registered
159 Posts
If you are looking for a nice mesh jacket for the really hot weather, the Power Trip San Jose is a great jacket. Extremely lightweight with a sleeveless zip out liner. Lots of airflow on those hot hot days. And it looks great !
For the average days I have a FirstGear mesh jacket with a full zip out liner. Great jacket too.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have a Bellstaff mesh jacket that I bought last year. Very similar to the Joe Rocket Jackets, also with padding on the elbows and shoulders, and lots of pockets and vents, but not as "turtle looking".

For me this is good into the upper 80s

·
Registered
517 Posts
I have a Joe Rocket Alter Ego. Basically, it is a "regular" jacket, and it part of the arms and body zip out so that it turns into a mesh jacket. There is also a liner, so it is a 3 in 1 sort of deal.
At 250.00, it is pricey, but well worth it, as you are getting 2 jackets for one price. I'm very happy with mine. I can go out on the morning, ride and remove the liner and the the sleeves/body as it gets warms. My riding buddies have to carry extra layers with them. :lol:

TB

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have the Firstgear Mesh Tech II. It's a great jacket. It's definitely NOT the turtle look. And before you say anything...it does get hot in MN. We have extremes. It raerly gets over 100 but it can reliably be in the 90s with 65-70 degree dew points. Not as hot as some but hot none the less.

Re: Hood Jeans -> I just re-ordered a pair for the wife and I. The first set was too big but they were comfortable. I'll let you know when I get them in and have ridden around in them. I like the fact that they are mostly lined jeans with Kevlar (Aramid).

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
I won a Joe Rocket phoenix jacket a couple of years ago (best $5 I ever spent) and its been great. You can also buy a waterproof liner for it for about $29 which will keep you fairly warm in in the fall. I've also known and heard of guys going down in the jacket and everyone that I've read about going down in one sang its praises. Its a one fall jacket but it'll do what its suppose to do during that one fall.
$4$ Igive it a 9. Only reason it didn't get a 10 was because it didn't intitally come with the back protector, I'm not sure if the new ones do or not. But its a great summer jacket.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have the Joe Rocket Phoenix 3.0 jacket and love it. It has a zip in/out liner. It kept me nice and warm on those 30 degree mornings during the winter and keeps me nice a cool during the hot summers here in Tucson, AZ.

Fits good and has armor located in the back, shoulders, elbows. It is also very light.

Most of the ladies here at work think I look like a super hero with the jacket on. :D

G

·
I've worn a Teknic Supervent for the past three seasons and it has provided very good ventilation as well as piece of mind with the back, shoulder and arm pads. I find it perfect for temps in the 70~100º+ range. There are two on EBay right now - search for Supervent.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I bought my Joe Rocket Phoenix from newenough.com.
It's been great in this south-Texas heat, and the liner
works great in the rain or cold. As for the 'turtle look'
well, it helps hide my belly, so I find that an asset rather
than a liability!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have the First Gear Air Kilimanjaro. With the liner, it's waterproof and warm enough for cool fall/spring mornings. With the liner out, it's like wearing nothing - the air goes right through it. Extremely well made and lots of pocket space.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts