Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,182 Posts
What he meant Rocket is that the stock gaskets can be very hard to see, and more than a few people have proceeded without replacing them because they couldn't see them. You might need a pick to get them out as they tend to set very deeply, making them all but invisible.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
What he meant Rocket is that the stock gaskets can be very hard to see, and more than a few people have proceeded without replacing them because they couldn't see them. You might need a pick to get them out as they tend to set very deeply, making them all but invisible.

Thanks for the heads up on the gasakets

·
Old Goat
24,184 Posts
Yeah,yeah thats what I meant...:grin2: ...

·
Super Moderator
6,182 Posts
You bet. Pipes can be a bear to install, some especially so on the VTX. And extra set of hands can be a must depending on the exhaust brand and type. I've had my wife help me on occasion because it's really not hard to catch a flange stud and break it off. With pipes that are not slip ons, and the headers are attached to each other it can be quite difficult in wrapping them around the front jug and then fitting the rear pipe to the rear jug. Take your time, it's all been done successfully before so they will fit (so long as your pipes were meant for your bike). Once you have them bolted on torque them down (I think 10-12ft lbs?), ride the bike and then re-torque them while they're still hot.

Yeah,yeah thats what I meant...:grin2: ...
We knew what you meant Phil, but the first time I swapped out my pipes I would have sworn there were no gaskets in there. Thankfully posts like this told me that I needed to look real, real close.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
You bet. Pipes can be a bear to install, some especially so on the VTX. And extra set of hands can be a must depending on the exhaust brand and type. I've had my wife help me on occasion because it's really not hard to catch a flange stud and break it off. With pipes that are not slip ons, and the headers are attached to each other it can be quite difficult in wrapping them around the front jug and then fitting the rear pipe to the rear jug. Take your time, it's all been done successfully before so they will fit (so long as your pipes were meant for your bike). Once you have them bolted on torque them down (I think 10-12ft lbs?), ride the bike and then re-torque them while they're still hot.

We knew what you meant Phil, but the first time I swapped out my pipes I would have sworn there were no gaskets in there. Thankfully posts like this told me that I needed to look real, real close.
Just a point of clarification: torque value is 17 lbs./ ft.

·
Old Goat
24,184 Posts
Wobble joint came in handy on mine...:thumbup:

·
Super Moderator
6,182 Posts
Just a point of clarification: torque value is 17 lbs./ ft.
Thanks, it's been a long time. Earlier today, after my post I was thinking it might be 17 but couldn't remember for sure. Used to be I could remember things. Now, once in awhile something pops into my head, not like a memory, more like a snapshot. I should learn to trust those things.

I just doubled mine up with no leaks or ill affects.
Some people have doubled them up, but it can mess with the torque spec. And if a piece of the original breaks off during disassembly a partial orginal can result in a leak. Best practice is to remove the old completely before reassembling.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Gaskets

Thanks, it's been a long time. Earlier today, after my post I was thinking it might be 17 but couldn't remember for sure. Used to be I could remember things. Now, once in awhile something pops into my head, not like a memory, more like a snapshot. I should learn to trust those things.

Some people have doubled them up, but it can mess with the torque spec. And if a piece of the original breaks off during disassembly a partial orginal can result in a leak. Best practice is to remove the old completely before reassembling.
Agreed:thumbup:

21 - 29 of 29 Posts