Honda VTX Forum banner

81 - 86 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Long rides.... In 1977, I rode about 1238 miles from Altus OK, a small town in the southwest corner of OK to West Hollywood CA in two days and then repeated that distance on the return trip two days later. Memory is a little fuzzy but I think my first stop was in Holbrook AZ on day one which clocks in at a distance of ~667 miles according to the great & powerful Google. It is my longest ride to date and I'm certain that I would never do it again today! But then, I was in my early '20's, in my first enlistment, riding a new bone stock Honda 750 and, of course, there was a girl waiting for me in CA.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Made it back from my grandfathers place in Blue River (Muscoda sp.), Wisconsin (MN border) in one shot. Don't know exactly how far that is from Hackensack but it's over a 1000 miles. It was a pretty good beating. '49 Panhead with a 6" over springer frontend and rigid rear. Was working for my uncle and Grandpa and then my dad got sick. Mom needed me home. I was pretty crazy then, and in a bit of trouble, they sent me out to Wisconsin to be with my Grandpa who I always loved. He didn't ask me to talk or explain myself. We just worked side by side. That was April of 1976. Dad died May 24th that year. I could not forget that ride back to Hackensack if I tried.

Reactions: pushrod

·
Registered
146 Posts
the longest i've ridden a bike in a single day is 14 hours, 867 miles. it wasn't highway miles so i didn't got it 1000+ but it was a good amount of saddle time. the only reason i stopped was to call the little ones before they went to bed. hit the highway in south dakota/montana with the right bike and you could load up on miles.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Back in the day on the 1100 shadow I crossed the plains a couple of times and did Anniston AL from Lake Chuck, LA. 600 to 800 mile days. A couple more loop trips in the same vicinity. One trip headed to CO was close to 900. Recently have done lot of 5 to 600 mile days going nowhere, just riding and ending up back home.

A buddy showed me Iron butt a couple of years ago. Covid and some other issues stopped us last year. But we are planning on doing it this year... hopefully soon. 1000 mile day

81 - 86 of 86 Posts