Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11,350 Posts
Farthest I've gone is 124 miles on 2.8 gallons of gas. No way to gauge fuel level is frustrating so I try to fuel up at 100 miles.
124 / 2.8g = 44.28 MPG

44.28 MPG x 3.7 gals = 163 miles

When riding 50 - 60 MPH roads I may go on Reserve at 150 - 170 miles. So the reserve is 1 gallon so you should have another 44 miles to go. Round it down to 40 MPG on MAIN and when on Reserve I remember the mileage I switch and figure 10 miles per quart. Practice switching the Petcock from Main to Reserve. I can catch
mine before it flames out. The exhaust sounds different as it leans out before the pop. I just finished a ride to VA and anything over 3.7 gallons is on reserve. Depending on the lean angle or going uphill or downhill the main may run out one or two tenths earlier. I have not pushed a MC since the 1980's but I did forget to change the fuel selector twice on this ride over the weekend. I thought about in time to avert embaressment.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,350 Posts
I did a search and saw where a few guys several years ago used some Lucas injector cleaner in a tank or two and saw an increase in mileage. I tried it on last tank and did see good improvement. This bike most likely sat a lot since it is a 2007 and had only 15k when I got it a few weeks ago.
I frequently put 6oz Diesel fuel in a tankful.
It gives me better mileage than when I do not. Several times on Interstate when my mileage drops into the 30's I have added a quart of Diesel and it went back into the 40's. The Diesel was added to the refill to keep the figures correct.

Adding a small amount of Diesel to my automobiles since 1970's.
As the tank was refilled and the Diesel was diluted more, the mileage decreased back to its normal figures.

·
Registered
449 Posts
124 / 2.8g = 44.28 MPG

44.28 MPG x 3.7 gals = 163 miles

When riding 50 - 60 MPH roads I may go on Reserve at 150 - 170 miles. So the reserve is 1 gallon so you should have another 44 miles to go. Round it down to 40 MPG on MAIN and when on Reserve I remember the mileage I switch and figure 10 miles per quart. Practice switching the Petcock from Main to Reserve. I can catch
mine before it flames out. The exhaust sounds different as it leans out before the pop. I just finished a ride to VA and anything over 3.7 gallons is on reserve. Depending on the lean angle or going uphill or downhill the main may run out one or two tenths earlier. I have not pushed a MC since the 1980's but I did forget to change the fuel selector twice on this ride over the weekend. I thought about in time to avert embaressment.
I have pushed motorcycles in the past, granted in been a few years but it really sucked. I don't do a lot of long haul riding so I'm always trying to be safe rather than sorry. In a pinch I would do it. Plus bike is 12 or so years old, no idea what is in the bottom of that tank and prefer not to find out.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Well I have now hit 160 without having to switch to reserve but I was probably right about there. Still had a little over a gallon in the tank!

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
I dont understand Miles per tank?
Seems pretty darn foolish to me.
I run to 120 or so miles on trip meter and fill up then reset trip meter.
I figure my MPG often, it is 40 to 44 depending on how I ride.
In my cars with a fuel gauge I fill by 1/4 - 1/2 tank.
Why would I run to reserve ??.
although I have a couple of times on the bike, when not paying attention.
But that was accidental....
I am NOT pushing this bike if there is anyway to avoid it!!!!

·
Registered
449 Posts
I think it just a figure you can keep in your mind - at least it is for me. Like a mental gas gauge. Why there is no gas gauge on these bikes is beyond me.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
On the 1300 i hit 178 and it was not by choice buddy on his sportster only had a few oz left when we found a open station.
I still hadn't switched to reserve.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
2007 VTX1800 F (4.8 gal flangeless tank)
My typical is start looking for fuel stop at about 155-160 miles (low fuel light comes on anytime between 150 and 165), highest mileage I ever had at fuel up was 183 miles during a group highway ride.
As frnkcat does, I always calc my mileage. It gives me a constant way to keep tabs on how my bike is running, watching for unexpected changes. My normal is 39 mpg for city/commute riding, 37 for interstate riding (I'm a bit "speedy"), and usually 42+ for highway riding.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 1300 R will almost without exception go over 200 mi before hitting reserve. I ride pretty easy most of the time and the bike is totally stock in terms of intake, exhaust, and carb adjustment. Overall average is around 53 mpg, has yet to get below 50, and best to date is 56. I've done almost 240 miles between fill-ups and assuming the tank truly holds 4.8 gal max Range would be 268 miles- enough to get me from home in southern Maine to New York City on a tank of gas.

·
Registered
391 Posts
203 miles. The next ride I was letting the bike warm up, putting on the helmet, gloves, jacket, etc. then the bike ran out of gas. In me defense the best place to run out of gas is in the drive way.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
203 miles. The next ride I was letting the bike warm up, putting on the helmet, gloves, jacket, etc. then the bike ran out of gas. In me defense the best place to run out of gas is in the drive way.
LOL! I'd argue that running out of gas at the pump would be better, but the stress and anxiety SUCKED!
I was on a ride with a couple buddies (one on a Road King, one on a Goldwing - both far greater range than my 1800F) when we finally approached a gas station. NO JOKE nojoke - my bike stalls out as I'm going into the turn lane to head into the gas station - a split second white knuckle coast across the oncoming lane of traffic (it was clear enough, but made the oncoming guy brake - NOT ideal :yikes:). I had to get my feet down and shove it once or twice to reach a pump... Yeah, that was not a fun one.

I had to sit there and take the crap the other two guys were giving me. I would'a left 'em in the dust to show what I get for performance along with the gas mileage, but like I said - Dale was on a Goldwing and he would have QUICKLY put me in my place.

The mileage? I don't remember exactly, but before we approached that little town I remember looking down and thinking "183 miles, damn, we better see a station coming up"

21 - 33 of 33 Posts