Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the rear wheel bearings the only problem, or is it front and rear?

I'm just about ready for a new rear tire, would it be best to replace the bearings regardless of condition?

What is cost of bearings?
what is the best bearings to use as a replacement?
How hard is the install?

THANKS for any help with these questions...................

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
There's no defect issue with the wheel bearings. Like all bearings, they can go bad, but there has been no unusual number of them.

The bad bearing is the final driven flange bearing .

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Please forgive my ignorance, but as I look in my manual I don't see what is called a flange bearing.

I see the inner and outer race for the pinion gear, the ring gear bearing and the ring gear case bearing.

I'd like to replace whatever has the potential to go bad, It sounds like this would be a good thing to get in front of.

Do you have a recomended replacement?

THANK YOU for your help!

·
Super Moderator
63,769 Posts
glenn bruce said:
Please forgive my ignorance, but as I look in my manual I don't see what is called a flange bearing.

I see the inner and outer race for the pinion gear, the ring gear bearing and the ring gear case bearing.

I'd like to replace whatever has the potential to go bad, It sounds like this would be a good thing to get in front of.

Do you have a recomended replacement?

THANK YOU for your help!
It is inside part#6, there are 2 bearings installed bach-to-back. It is not an easy thing to do as Tapper and Pete have figured out. They had to machine a special press to get the bearings in without distorting them. 8)

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Spike, I found it in the rear wheel section of the manual. I was looking in the final drive section.

Are guys replacing the OEM bearing with something other than OEM stuff?
If so what?

Again, THANKS!!!

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Dont replace the flange bearings unless they are bad. I'm sure Tap will agree with this. If you are lucky enough to have a nicely machined drive flange and your bearings are smooth, leave them alone. I have seen lots of cases where you were worse off after putting in the new bearings. mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts