Old Goat
26,226 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
good question

just finnished stem bearings -pull back riser's -more chrome to count,
only when left turn hard leanning i have small wabble ,I opened up left seal had small amount of water and little grease , i know that sealed bearings, should last almost like for ever .
I have 26,000 on my 13-c just want to be ready to ride at 70 +
you guy's know your stuf thats why im talking to you and not the stealer
thanks for all your help,new tires front &back avon viper less than 25-miles
.:banghead:

·
Registered
615 Posts
just finnished stem bearings -pull back riser's -more chrome to count,
only when left turn hard leanning i have small wabble ,I opened up left seal had small amount of water and little grease , i know that sealed bearings, should last almost like for ever .
you guy's know your stuf thats why im talking to you and not the stealer
thanks for all your help,new tires front &back avon viper less than 25-miles
The front ones shouldn't be difficult to put in, just a simple press fit. Throw them in the freezer and then press them in with a long threaded rod with large washers at each end. The rear ones are little more difficult

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Why would you change them what happened?
Lots of reasons.................If you decide to chrome them they MUST come out! Also like all bearings,they should be checked out at every tire change & some WILL get the occasional BAD bearing that just wears out quick.Like all things some get the good & some get the bad.........The service manual goes into how to remove & replace with the proper tools which consists of driver & pilot tools,as stated you can improvise with homemade tools,just be sure the are seated properly & use new dust seals or you will be doing it again............:smile: Rod

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
just finished stem bearings -pull back riser's -more chrome to count,
only when left turn hard leaning i have small wobble ,I opened up left seal had small amount of water and little grease , i know that sealed bearings, should last almost like for ever .
you guy's know your stuff thats why I'm talking to you and not the stealer
thanks for all your help,new tires front &back Avon viper less than 25-miles
J Pate -

You've replaced the steering neck bearings and installed new tires. Did you by any chance change either your fork oil or front fork springs??

At 26k miles, that would be a necessity on any VTX1300 (you didn't furnish the year of your X). Another item to check would be the rear shock bushings. If they are worn on one side more that the other, that can effect your handling also.

However, from your description of wobbling only in a left-hand turn, I'd almost bet that your right fork doesn't have but ½ the recommended amount of oil in it from the factory.

Remove your forks, completely drain (pump the forks about a dozen times to get all old fork oil out) the original oil into separate ½ gallon milk jugs with the tops cut off and see if there's any noticeable difference in the amount of oil between the two forks.

Flush with either some clean fork oil (about 6 ounces) or brake cleaner to remove all residue. Refill the forks to the proper level (about 15.5 ounces average for each fork) and reinstall the fork springs.

Test ride and let us know.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes i replaced with progressive springs ,I have the 4+ 1nylon bushing will replace all as said 7^%&^ let all know and pic. still learning how to post
thanks everyone j pate.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
yes i replaced with progressive springs...
J Pate -

You didn't state whether you drained, flushed and refilled your forks while you were changing out your front springs. I believe that this step may be crucial to stopping your left turn wobble.

Also, I'd suggest rechecking the steering neck bearing adjustment. You'll find the procedures at http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207379 under the same title. It's the 2nd article down in that "How-To" post.

Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
j pate stem bearrings

my 1300c-04 black x is fine rechecked everything fork oil is flushed & clean ,rear shock bushings form mcarr co. adjusted stem bearings as needed ,like everyone has said like riding on rails ,thanks for everyones
help -you boys should open up shop,we would never give to steelers again. j pate.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
my 1300c-04 black x is fine rechecked everything fork oil is flushed & clean ,rear shock bushings form mcarr co. adjusted stem bearings as needed ,like everyone has said like riding on rails ,thanks for everyones
help -you boys should open up shop,we would never give to steelers again. j pate.
J Pate -

It appears that you did get everything straightened out by your comments
j pate said:
"like everyone has said like riding on rails"
When did you change the fork oil and shock bushings and readjust the steering neck bearings ?? Recently while going over everything the final time ??

Yep, most of the folks on here (both guys and gals) are pretty sharp characters. And, yes, some of do have our own shops already. Glad we could help.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
compleated

J Pate -

It appears that you did get everything straightened out by your comments
When did you change the fork oil and shock bushings and readjust the steering neck bearings ?? Recently while going over everything the final time ??

Yep, most of the folks on here (both guys and gals) are pretty sharp characters. And, yes, some of do have our own shops already. Glad we could help.
Did not work chrism new years completed mods .pull back risers neck chrom ,shaft cover ,steble horn i like it under bike out of the way, I,m
working on pic. now learning this photbucket system want to show you guys some eye candy , im slow comp. teck as you can tell. again thanks
for all and each one,s help.

·
Lady Rider
4,246 Posts
Problem solved. I did change out my front wheel bearings about 2 months back and it wasn't that big a job. Yes, even a girl can do it. I did notice a smoother entrance and exit into sharp curves. Bike just seemed to be more sure of itself.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bearings

Lots of reasons.................If you decide to chrome them they MUST come out! Also like all bearings,they should be checked out at every tire change & some WILL get the occasional BAD bearing that just wears out quick.Like all things some get the good & some get the bad.........The service manual goes into how to remove & replace with the proper tools which consists of driver & pilot tools,as stated you can improvise with homemade tools,just be sure the are seated properly & use new dust seals or you will be doing it again............:smile: Rod

wow I got them bearings chromed:lol: thanks for all the help Rod .. j pate

1 - 14 of 14 Posts