Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice that my fan is not always running while I'm operating the bike and hardly ever comes on when I hit the garage after a good ride. I'm riding in extremely HOT Florida weather 100 degress +- during the day, rode Saturday night must have still been 80 at midnight. Should this fan be always on? FYI no hot lights lit. Plenty of ambient heat from engine. Just want to be careful. Thanks:dontknow:

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
I notice that my fan is not always running while I'm operating the bike and hardly ever comes on when I hit the garage after a good ride. I'm riding in extremely HOT Florida weather 100 degress +- during the day, rode Saturday night must have still been 80 at midnight. Should this fan be always on? FYI no hot lights lit. Plenty of ambient heat from engine. Just want to be careful. Thanks:dontknow:
There is a sensor that tells it to turn on. If you hear it on occasion that's fine. If you were not ever hearing it then in the past some X riders had to clean the ground wire off the fan because they were not getting a good ground because of the powder coat.

Donut/Doug

·
Registered
73 Posts
My fan rarely comes on! Last time i remember it was on I was sitting in traffic for a while on a hot day and it came on.

·
Registered
133 Posts
:mrgreen:that is why you buy a watercooled V-twin. so it doesn't overheat.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
The fan should turn on only when the coolant temperature exceeds the limit of the thermostat you have installed (usually around 190 degrees F.) It may not be very obvious the fan is turning on and off while riding because of engine and road noises. A better test is, on a warm day above 80 degrees, start your cycle and just let it run at idle speed without riding or moving the cycle. Within about 3 to 5 minutes the fan should kick on for just a minute or less and then kick back off for awhile before repeating this cycle. There is also a motorcycle radiator cap made you can buy that has a built in thermometer. That way you can see if the fan is kicking in at the proper time - that is, when the coolant temperature rises above 190 degrees F.

Of coarse, a fresh anti-freeze mix with distilled water in a clean running radiator, water pump and engine system will certainly reduce the time the fan is called on to run.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
The only time my fan comes on is in heavy stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Haven't noticed my fan on the X yet, but I used to always have the one on my Aero kick in sitting in traffic. Never really bothered me cuz of the water cooling going on, but now I'll have to check it out.

·
Registered
12,910 Posts
My fan runs only after I hit a few traffic lights on a very hot day. Goes off once we are in motion.

Per page 19-3 of the shop manual:
Fan switch turn on: 208-216 degrees F
Engine coolant switch turn on: 234-244 degrees F

You can ground one of the pins on the fan switch at the bottom of the radiator to verify if the fan motor is good (Ignition switch on). Only one contact will turn on the motor, the other pin is the ground wire. *****

Upper left fan mounting bracket has a clip and a wire connector, this is the fan ground connection. There should be NO paint on the bracket facing the engine.
I can see my paint free area without doing anything. I did a ground cleanup and verification a few years ago.

·
Registered
474 Posts
My fan runs on every ride. I only hear it when stopped, but I always hear it. Well...maybe not in cooler weather. But with these 95+ dgree days recently, it fans.

CW

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Anyone know how to check temp light on the dash? I wouldn't mind putting a loud beeper or buzzer on that light.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
If you aren't getting a water temp light, then you're fine. The only time I've had the fan come on is when sitting at a light, or in traffic on a hot day (90*). I can usually tell, because I get a sudden rush of hot air hitting my knees. If you feel that, then lean over, and see if the fan's spinning or not. I will tell you it's hard to see spinning, but if you don't see the "spokes", it's indeed turning. You can also test the fan motor by taking the black wire that's between the motor, and the temp switch, and touch the wire to ground. If that makes it come on, you're good (unless the switch is bad, which I doubt), if not, check that fan motor ground, as stated above.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Anyone know how to check temp light on the dash? I wouldn't mind putting a loud beeper or buzzer on that light.
There's a Gray wire that is a direct shot between the ECT (this is not the same switch as the fan motor switch) and the Instrument Panel, which, from the way I read it, is hot all of the time, looking for a ground from the ECT. To check the light, just jumper that wire to ground. I'm thinking if you wanted a buzzer, it would have to be wired in line, so that the potential is the same on both sides until the ECT provides the ground. Keep in mind you don't want to overload this circuit. I don't know how much this circuit was meant to handle. I do see that the foglight option pigtail is tapped onto it, so I'd imagine you'd be fine with a little buzzer.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks all who responded

Thank to everyone who sent along their knowledge an experience, gratefully accepted. I'll check some on the things suggested, be observent of others and ride easier knowing all is well. ROTHAR:grin:

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Got aftermarket pipes? Chances are you may not even be aware that it comes on when riding. I fretted about the fan on my ex-1800C because I never heard it. Duh... I had V&H with stock baffles; no wonder. And then I complicated matters by always turning off my bike with the igniton, not wanting to wear out the kill switch :) This meant that even if the fan wanted to run after I stopped, it couldn't.

Later on for my own peice of mind, I got a thermometer equipped oil stick for my 1800. It never heated past where it was suppsoed to be; in fact, it seemed to run cool.

Now, I turn off my bike with the kill switch to let the fan run if it needs to. Plus on my 1300S, I have V&H pipes but with Quiet Baffles that as long as I'm riding at in-town speeds, i can hear the fan for the few times it actually comes on.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
My fan comes on everytime i ride. Most of the time after bike has been ridden for some time and I hit a stop light. Almost everytiime I pull into my garage after a ride on a hot day.

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
I heard my fan more this past weekend at the East coast gathering than I have in the past five years.

It was really hot down there. :banghead:

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Hey, Piacovo. Just wondering how old your coolant is?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Coolant is going on 2 or 3 years old I think. I know I changed it a few years ago anyway. But this is the way my bike has run since day one. the fan doesn't go on in the cold winter months unless I really run it hard on the highway and then only when I stop and let it idle for a while. Fan only comes on for about 15 seconds then shuts off.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I'm not sure what normal is when it comes to the fan turning on and off. But as long as the overheating light doesn't come on I would have to believe that its within the safe temp range. I think i am going to clean bug build up out of my radiator since it never has been done in 7 years and see if that helps.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts