Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far I changed oil and filter 3 times on my X. When I change I rock bike side to side to get out all I can. Is this why I may drain more out then others, and then 4 quarts actually doesn't fill it to upper line? I just never get a satysfied reading. Once I added a little extra, I think it was 4 to 6 ounces to get it right where they want it. I know the proper procedure for checking, and even follow it with a timer. I am on a level floor, and I find the balancing point and check it after running it, then letting it sit for a few minutes. I follow checking procedure perfectly according to directions. I do it all right by the book. So, do others rock bike side to side, or do you just drain it, what comes out from the side stand without rocking the bike? I feel if I did it that way, 3.9 quarts probably would bring it to proper level. I never have tried that yet. I don't get excited after putting in a full 4 quarts and it barely registers on the stick after 5 tries because I did put 4 quarts in, I realize it isn't more then 4 to 6 ozs low , so no big deal. I do things exactly by the book, other then I rock bike side to side to get more out. What do you guys think on here?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Are you using a larger than stock oil filter? I drain mine sitting level and hot, I have yet to put in over 3.9 qts to the fill mark after a change of the oil and stock oem filter. Allways have that little bit left in the 4th quart bottle.

Be Safe

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
You might want to check out Bare's article on changing oil...

www.bareasschoppers.com

He discusses checking oil. Here is an excerpt:

There is some debate/discrepancy between folks about the proper method to refill the bike, this has led to some folks putting 5 and 6 quarts of oil into a bike that only requires the 3.9. What I've learned from working on these bikes is that the sticks in these bikes can vary slightly from bike to bike, how they read, how you lean when you check the stick, how much oil has drained down, etc - no matter how much you try to replicate the same conditions (run time, cool down time, etc) there are always discrepancies. So I add my 4 "fast-poured" quarts to the engine and then I pour the leftover old oil back into the 4, now empty, quart bottles. This makes it easy for me to deliver the oil for recycling AND it lets me know how much I drained. This way I can always make sure I'm replacing as much as I'm removing AND it lets me see if the motor is burning a little oil. After a few changes you know what to expect and if anything is off you'll recognize it. I never look at a dipstick unless the oil drained/replaced are dramatically different.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
scottsscooter said:
So far I changed oil and filter 3 times on my X. When I do it all right by the book. So, do others rock bike side to side, or do you just drain it, what comes out from the side stand without rocking the bike? I feel if I did it that way, 3.9 quarts probably would bring it to proper level. I
Uhh...no sir...I never rock my bike when it's up on blocks. By that I mean, I've got mine up on blocks, with a thicker block under the sidestand to get it more upright, when I change my oil. BTW, you did drain from both the front and rear plugs right? :oops:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Bare's by the book is how I do it. If you run stop and wait on level ground holding the bike level you can get a good reading. I use about 4 qts no more :wink:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
read this, still my question here.

yes I use stock filter, yes I take out both plugs. I follow the book perfectly, and understand it totaly. I get some replies from you that some may rock the bike some, but not all say if they try get out more then just what drains naturaly. Thats why I am wondering if I am getting more out and why 4 doesn't get it to proper level according to dipstick. So do tell your technic on if you just put it on blocks and drain it with a higher on the kickstand, or if you rock it and find same thing I do , not reading quite on stick. I know all the procedures, I just think I may try get all I can out, thus finding that 4 is not quite enough. I do belive if I just blocked it, that it probably would take jst 3.9 like book says. anyway, read this and reply, I would like to get a technic down. I feel probably just let comes ut what wants, with no rocking. I rock it with me on the bike so its stable. I find a low kitty little box works great for draining into because of low height.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts