Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can not find what miles per hour are you suppose to shift gears. The miles you need to shift each gear. I shift when it sounds right. But it is just bugging me I can not find it anywhere on line.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
172 Posts
shift points

30,60,80,110 winding it out.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Yeah, about what Paul said if you're hammering it. The owners manual says something ridiculous that would have you in 5th at around 35. Maybe if you're going downhill with the wind at your back that might work, but I wouldn't advise it. Normal put-putting around, I usually go somewhere close to 15-30-40-50, and it seems perfectly content. ;)

·
Registered
238 Posts
I find that if i am shifting into 5th at any speed under 55 the bike seems to dog a little bit.

·
Registered
214 Posts
gears ?

How about the RPMs the engine red lines at on a 1300c ? I hear alot of bikers take off like the engine wont fly apart while changeing gears putting the RPMs up there and Im watching for the engine to expload, that cant be good for the engine.:shock:

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
My 1800 shifts smoothest at 20, 35, 45 and 60 mph.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Shifting

Listen to the engine. When it sounds and fells like it is working, Shift. I have found 5th is best used above 50mph. Below that you will get a shutter until the engine gets up to speed.

·
Registered
400 Posts
At 2AM 35mph in 5th works for my sideburner in my neighborhood. Sounds like a big kettle drum. Of course thats just loafing on level ground. Still waiting for the flashing red lights for that noise maker :)

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
I never put it in 5th unless I'm over 70mph. I do have the 1300 gear set, but, even with the 1800 final 50mph is very low for 5th gear. It is far better for the engine to spin, developing a good dynamic oil film between all the rolling and sliding parts, then to lug it, and have metal to metal contact.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts