Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm appreciating VTXOA more than ever these days as I recently purchased a Yamaha Raider and am learning that bike's forums are pretty dead. On this forum I'm confident that most issues I may have with my bike has already been discussed and resolved, and those that haven't will get a supportive answer quickly. On the Raider forums I'm seeing people who asked questions months ago getting no reply, and a few questions I've asked get only one or two responses that still left me scratching my head. I've joined 3 Yamaha forums now and none of seem to have much to offer in regard to bike specific technical answers for the Raider.

To it's credit VTXOA has spoiled me with a reliable place to go for technical support. In all honesty, I might not have bought the Raider had I known there would be no place to go for technical support from a wealth of 'hands on' DIY riders.

Sometimes you don't appreciate something until it's gone, so I'm appreciating this one more than ever.

PS: I've owned two Yamaha's now and when people ask me which bike I'd sell I always tell them I'll always keep my VTX.

(y)

·
Registered
5,866 Posts
The Cafe and OA have both been really good forums over the years. Both are comparatively dead quiet vs just a year or two ago. Lots of long time and active posters "retired"

·
Registered
447 Posts
Best group of people you will ever know this forum has so many people with knowledge ready to help you with anything you need

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
HOP, I'm curious. Do you think the 'Raider' audience is notably younger than here. I think a lot of core VTX guys were/are hot rodders/gear heads. Many professional mechanics and serious amateurs. And, it really was a niche market. That lends itself to successful repairs, modifications, and spreading the word. From what I see working in my nephews cycle shop, we are a dying archetype. It's a lot of gear and tools to own ($) if you are not using them for anything else. For us that were building working bikes out of little more than used parts and determination when we were kids, it can be hard to imagine but, the younger guys (not all) don't want to bother. They just drop them off with their list, and pick 'em up with their credit card. Very nice bike by the way. Have a ball with it. Jimbo.

·
Premium Member
6,777 Posts
HOP, I'm curious. Do you think the 'Raider' audience is notably younger than here. I think a lot of core VTX guys were/are hot rodders/gear heads. Many professional mechanics and serious amateurs. And, it really was a niche market. That lends itself to successful repairs, modifications, and spreading the word. From what I see working in my nephews cycle shop, we are a dying archetype. It's a lot of gear and tools to own ($) if you are not using them for anything else. For us that were building working bikes out of little more than used parts and determination when we were kids, it can be hard to imagine but, the younger guys (not all) don't want to bother. They just drop them off with their list, and pick 'em up with their credit card. Very nice bike by the way. Have a ball with it. Jimbo.
Further to that, few even have space to store them, never mind work on them.

Reactions: Blast

·
Registered
157 Posts
yep.. Mom's home. little bedroom at the end of the hall :)

Mechanic... a life form going extinct,, I have been saying this for years.

today's mechanics.. use a computer to troubleshoot a problem.. and computer reports what part or parts to replace..

my opinion.

not just forums.. hobbies are dying.
model building
Radio Controlled anything
Amateur Radio.
wood working for fun

aka Time, money, Effort, interest, storage space, Time, many hobbies require learning, work, sweat

like here, the number of repair questions are the most common.. and requires the minimum of brain power.
or how to use the < Search > function

·
Premium Member
6,777 Posts
That's exactly right Chuck. As in life, in the mechanics trade, critical thought is all too rare. Like I actually had a mechanic tell me my diesel was running lean ... like that's even possible. Or that you can't reuse spark plugs on my VTX. No critical thought, just blindly following a vague recollection.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I hope you fellas are sticking around for a bit longer, I just got here a few years ago. I didn't know, the kids were young, I got distracted, a bit of all that.

·
Registered
329 Posts
yep.. Mom's home. little bedroom at the end of the hall :)

Mechanic... a life form going extinct,, I have been saying this for years.

today's mechanics.. use a computer to troubleshoot a problem.. and computer reports what part or parts to replace..

my opinion.

not just forums.. hobbies are dying.
model building
Radio Controlled anything
Amateur Radio.
wood working for fun

aka Time, money, Effort, interest, storage space, Time, many hobbies require learning, work, sweat

like here, the number of repair questions are the most common.. and requires the minimum of brain power.
or how to use the < Search > function
I have to say I disagree with the mechanic work with your hands deal. I have allot of young men and women on my team that make between $75,000 and $100,000 as mechanics and most of the work we do is changing brakes, wear iron and hoses. I think in the future that people that can work with there hands competently are going to make a very good living. I am also on several advisory boards for community colleges and high schools and auto and mechanic classes are coming back to schools because the pay is better than a communication degree that cost you $80,000. watch the video in link from Mike Rowe
I think that mechanics and dirty jobs so to speak will be filled in the future as far as motorcycles that I'm not so sure....

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
The Cafe and OA have both been really good forums over the years. Both are comparatively dead quiet vs just a year or two ago. Lots of long time and active posters "retired"
Many are doing that FB thang.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
H.O.P., Here is your answer........

"YOU MEET THE NICEST PEOPLE ON A HONDA" 👍 😎

Yup, things are changing. I agree with what others have said here.
This board has changed over the years. It used to be a lot of technical posts on mods and performance. Different generation than when the VTX came out and this VTXOA board. I still enjoy it and try to help when I can. Made some good friends over the years too.

Reactions: rangers4u and Blast

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
My definition of a 'mechanic'. 50 years in the trade. Construction equipment, class 8 trucks, marine gas/diesel, motorcycles, cars. A mechanic can not only successfully change parts/components on a given machine, he can; Weld/cut, both gas and electric, run a simple lathe to manufacture spacers, shims, basic parts. He can, given the data, reproduce even primary assemblies when replacement is not an option. Be able to use precision measuring tools to establish proper running clearance, and determine degree of wear to expendable components like brake rotors/drums. He must have a sense of metallurgy, understanding the different relation to heat between alloys and steel. He/she must know the fundamentals of the start/charge system and be able to diagnose with confidence. A good mechanic understands, above all, that machines are predictable, understandable, and just a very satisfying thing to TRY to master.

·
Registered
621 Posts
The decline of motorcycles as a sport is also affecting the bike forums. Covid-19 really hit motorcycling hard. I see very few bikes on the road now days. Makes you wonder where have all the bikes gone. The friends I have with bikes, can't get them to ride anymore. The decline is happening everywhere.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
HOP, I'm curious. Do you think the 'Raider' audience is notably younger than here. I
[/QUOTE
I can only speculate on why the Raider forums has so little activity, but I'd guess the sales were no where near those of the VTX. Honda just sells more than Yamaha, but also some of the Raiders models were purposely released in limited number (e.g. 500 made of a custom line) making them rare, but also limited the total numbers of owners. I'm also learning there is no comparison of the Raider to the VTX in regard to volume/selection of aftermarket part for customizing (e.g., dress chrome parts).

I like having a bike that is fairly rare, (I don't think I've ever seen a Yamaha Raider in my area) but it does have it drawbacks.
My Raider:

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The decline of motorcycles as a sport is also affecting the bike forums. Covid-19 really hit motorcycling hard. I see very few bikes on the road now days. Makes you wonder where have all the bikes gone. The friends I have with bikes, can't get them to ride anymore. The decline is happening everywhere.
Just like all other traffic has been reduced due to Covid-19, motorcycles are also ridden less due to having nowhere to go on them (no gatherings). I'm still riding daily to/from work but I have a riding buddy who isn't riding at all due to fears of a potential crash where he's brought to a hospital and exposed to Covid-19. Studies have sown the demographic for big, cruiser bikes is dying off, but demand for motorcycle in general will be around for generations to come. They are just too much fun for humans not to want one!

Electric motorcycles are the wave of the future so us old guys lumbering up on thumping V-Twins is akin to dinosaurs who used to visit the watering hole. Enjoy it while you can!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Excavator going through the Cat factory in Texas last May on a tour. 2nd is picture of piston and rod out of 3512 engine we are rebuilding in the shop. We do every thing from 390 excavator, D10's and 980's We also have a lot of trucks from transfers and supers to redi-mix. Best thing about my job is seeing young men and women make a good family wage. We have the first full time women welder in our company and have a full time women mechanic just out of community college getting her work credits for her degree if she likes it she will have a full time job ( she has a six month old) Believe it or not there are a lot of young people that dont mind working and I am proud to be able to teach them a career that will last a life time. I think that 50% of our shop crew is less than 40 years old, 10 years go 80% was over 50 we have doubled number of mechanics in 10 years. I will say that the younger bunch dont have motorcycles I dont know of any one on the crew less than 50 that has one. I also think dads are required to do way more at home with there families than back in my day which puts motorcycles way down the list. :)

IMG_0668.JPG
IMG_0968.JPG

·
Premium Member
6,777 Posts
Just like all other traffic has been reduced due to Covid-19, motorcycles are also ridden less due to having nowhere to go on them (no gatherings). I'm still riding daily to/from work but I have a riding buddy who isn't riding at all due to fears of a potential crash where he's brought to a hospital and exposed to Covid-19. Studies have sown the demographic for big, cruiser bikes is dying off, but demand for motorcycle in general will be around for generations to come. They are just too much fun for humans not to want one!

Electric motorcycles are the wave of the future so us old guys lumbering up on thumping V-Twins is akin to dinosaurs who used to visit the watering hole. Enjoy it while you can!
LOL ... yeah, I gotta agree.
If, or when, they solve the range issue with electric bikes, I might even be in for one.
Until then, I'll ride what I have, and have way too much fun.

Reactions: rangers4u

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I think it has something to do with the number of bikes (VTX and Raider) was sold...

Reactions: Harkon

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've enjoyed my time here on OA. But as mentioned, the V-twin thumper is a fading breed giving way to electrical bike. Not that there's anything wrong with electric bikes, it's just a changing of the times. The reduced gathering spots due to the pandemic may also have an impact on the reduced interests.

I don't know, I enjoy my Marilyn and hopefully for a good long time yet. I enjoy this forum and don't really care for the FB thing. There's too many detractors from the actual topic. But each to their own.

Ride safe and stay safe and healthy.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Try getting an answer on a gsxr forum. No answer or a pimply faced eighteen year olds crappy opinion. No old guys or intelligent conversation to be had. Am I the only 64 year old still into speed and fast corners? My Wednesday riding group are all over 65 and have 150 -200 hp bikes and ride fast but it must be rare.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts