Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Man, I miss the HD dealers I grew up with. Small showroom (two, three bikes tops). Little accessory counter where you could buy a pin or a patch or a decal. Maybe there'd be a shiny set of fresh heads on the top shelf. HD Jerseys (remember them) were the only apparel aside from leather jackets. 'T' shirts weren't a thing yet. Forget jewelry or anything geared at women. Parts dept counter was always off to the side in the service bay. Cranky old guys that expected YOU to know what the hell you wanted. You felt comfortable there, like an old hardware store.

·
Super Moderator
63,876 Posts
You could have asked the same thing over 10 years ago when Honda dumped most of their cruiser line-up, including the VTX.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A new CEO has come in and has made moves to streamline Harley Davidson. Covid-19 derailed Harley's plans to release new models and delayed the entire 2021 lineup. I knew something was up because for the last few years the new models would start arriving at dealers after Sturgis bike week.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
I don't know about HD Corp. but, it was a lousy year for bikes and bike sales here in the NYC area. Nothing was moving. No one coming in for tires, service, or repairs. Let alone mods or upgrades like hop up gear or performance work. Even simple cosmetic changes like bars or rails or seats. Nothing. By time the rules were relaxed, the end of the season was already in sight. It's really only Memorial day to Halloween here. And, just 100 miles North, the season ends shortly after Labor day. 30,000 $ motorbikes are going to be a continually tough sell. Like someone said, the old heads have got theirs and the kids are not interested. Look for great deals on barely used (typical) late model HDs. And yes, I know some guys ride the piss out of them but, and I've been around this a long time, most are man cave status symbols.

·
Premium Member
7,352 Posts
Generally the release was the end of August. HDs plan was to diversify and expand into new markets. Problem is that requires capital investment. Capital investment with a reduction in sales can very quickly make investors nervous as the bottom line shrinks. It's very easy, in that case, to be caught between keeping all potential customers happy, or keeping investors happy. Without investors, it doesn't matter how happy customers are. Without happy customers, investors definitely won't be happy. The challenge is to find the best compromise.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know about HD Corp. but, it was a lousy year for bikes and bike sales here in the NYC area. Nothing was moving. By time the rules were relaxed, the end of the season was already in sight. It's really only Memorial day to Halloween here. And, just 100 miles North, the season ends shortly after Labor day. 30,000 $ motorbikes are going to be a continually tough sell.
One thing I notice with Harley even with slow sales and bad times, they are still holding on to the new bikes at list prices, no discounts, no rebates or cash back. The only things Harley might offer is financing gimmicks, gift card or some free service on a new bike.

·
Registered
331 Posts
It maybe a good time for mom and pop repair shops. I went to a Honda dealer to buy some brake pads. Got the pads to install (dyi) , out of curiosity went to the service dept. On the wall, I noticed the hourly labor rate of $135.00 (what,how much). I ask the counter what would be parts/labor for front/rear cost.....$400.00 I realize the dealers have got to survive, with sells down. With online buying surging, the brick and mortar dealers have two big strikes against them.

·
Super Moderator
63,876 Posts
Find the right dealer and they will haggle.My dealer told me they are no different from car dealers. Once they buy a bike from mother HD it's theirs to do with what they want. He said he could sell me my Ultra for $5......told he's not gonna sell it to me for $5...but he could. I went to 3 different dealers with a bike and a list of mods and the dealer mentioned above beat the other 2 by over $5,000 OTD and this included cash off the sticker and this was 10 years ago. Like my dad taught me years ago, never go to just 1 car dealer, go to many and let them haggle it out to get your business

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
I'm wanting a new Harley. Something in a Dyna, maybe. The problem is that the recent crop of Harleys are butt ugly.

Shiny, metallic paint - chrome laced wheels - chrome engine covers -n- stuff is what I'm looking for. I like the new mono-shock frames and those four-valve heads but I suspect that I'll be waiting another year until they change up on their styling.

·
Premium Member
7,352 Posts
I'm wanting a new Harley. Something in a Dyna, maybe. The problem is that the recent crop of Harleys are butt ugly.

Shiny, metallic paint - chrome laced wheels - chrome engine covers -n- stuff is what I'm looking for. I like the new mono-shock frames and those four-valve heads but I suspect that I'll be waiting another year until they change up on their styling.
Matte paint and blacked out are the trend right now. Options for us lovers of chrome are limited. The good news is that paint is easy and any color you want. Chrome is readily available from the aftermarket. If you have the inclination, start with a base model that hasn't been blacked out, and make it yours. If you're persistent, buying the base, non-blacked out model, no one else wants, could save you enough money to get a really good start in something you really like.

Chrome and metal flake paint will make a comeback, it always does.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts