Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I've been reading a number of posts about people getting new risers to resolve back problems. I put on an Ultimate seat last year, which moved me back an inch or two. I countered with some 2" up/2" back Rivco risers, but that has not been enough. I did a 700 mile ride a couple of weeks ago and had lower back pain and pain between my shoulder blades for a week after I got back.

After reading some posts I took the plunge and ordered some Phatriser 3X's. They're supposed to bring the handlebars back about 5" which I'm sure will be enough. I understand I will need to run some extended length cables, unless I'm willing to reroute my existing cables behind the triple trees and release some of the cable ties. I don't like the idea of doing that if I don't have to, so instead of replacing the cables with the stock black color I thought this might be a good time to get some cables which complemented my bike,

I've found a place on the net which sells colored throttle cables (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...-Motocross-Cables-Sunline-Throttle-Cable.aspx) and three places that sell colored spark plug cables (which I wasn't really planning on replacing):

A couple of questions:
  1. Where can I get colored brake and clutch cables of extended lengths?
  2. Will I have to extend anything other than the front brake, the clutch, and the throttle cable? For instance the turn signal, horn, or headlight wires?
  3. Are all cables compatible with our VTXs or are their metric vs imperial sizes I need to consider?
  4. Are there quality issues I should be aware of, such as there are with bolts?

I did a couple of searches on this forum and others, but have not found answers to these questions.

Thanks,

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have the same risers, I moved my throttle cables behind the trees, plenty of clearance, no issues. All the wiring had plenty to pull out of the headlamp housing. Stock clutch hose fit fine with a small bend under the gas tank in the metal line. The only thing I replaced was the front brake hose. The hose stock did work, but was out of the handlebar clamps, and was pulled too tight for my liking. I had it made at a custom hose shop in Douglasville, Georgia not too far from Atlanta. Hose was $60.00 and looked exactly like stock. They made it for me while I waited, too. I did mine in black to match the factory hoses, but they also make all kinds of colors. Small mom and pop shop. They had all the banjo fittings, blocks and hose and adapters in stock, too. http://www.wizardauto.com/hoses.htm
There are several companies advertised on this site that make complete cables and hoses, too. I just went the "cheap and worked fine" route!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.