Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be mounting a GPS on the handlebar, near center, but I won't have on bike all the time. Therefore, I need to somehow "hide" the power connector whenever GPS is not on bike. Has anyone some ideas on where/how to secure end of power cord when not in use, so its not just dangling and flopping around, preferably in a hidden location? I estimate that the length of wire I'll need to stash is approximately 18 in.

thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
783 Posts
what I did

I installed a 12 volt socket/cig lighter on the neck of the frame, just forward of the clutch lever side of the tank. It cost like 10 bucks at autozone.It is a black waterproof one that is hardly noticeable. When the gps is off the bike, the power cord to the gps comes off w/it. I haven't run it powered yet, just from the internal battery, but when I do, I will just roll it up and rubber band the slack so it doesn't tangle or catch anything. I also used my battery tender cord to power the cig lighter by running the pigtail from the battery along the frame and zip tying the connection end to the frame just forward of the side cover. then with the spare cord that comes w/the battery tender plugs into the pigtail and is spliced into the cig lighter wires. So what happens is if I have to charge/tend the battery, I unplug power to the lighter and hook the charger to it. You have to reverse the polarity on the extension when splicing. Everything is black and zip tied w/black ties, so it is not even noticeable.I hope this makes sense to you. I can also charge my cel phone from the lighter. Jim

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
I went a different route and just take the whole wire with me.

I cut it and soldered a DC coax connector on the end. (same that is used on my heated gear)
I then mounted a jack near the front of the bike. I just slip the gps on and plug in. When it's off...the jack is about the size of a nickel.

http://www.radioshack.com/search/index. ... e%20n&sr=1

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
So what happens is if I have to charge/tend the battery, I unplug power to the lighter and hook the charger to it. You have to reverse the polarity on the extension when splicing. Everything is black and zip tied w/black ties, so it is not even noticeable.I hope this makes sense to you. I can also charge my cel phone from the lighter. Jim

One step better: Just put a male cig lighter plug on the battery tender and plug it into the female power port to charge the battery.

cary

·
Registered
783 Posts
that will also work

GTvtx said:
So what happens is if I have to charge/tend the battery, I unplug power to the lighter and hook the charger to it. You have to reverse the polarity on the extension when splicing. Everything is black and zip tied w/black ties, so it is not even noticeable.I hope this makes sense to you. I can also charge my cel phone from the lighter. Jim

One step better: Just put a male cig lighter plug on the battery tender and plug it into the female power port to charge the battery.

cary
that would work, but my way was cheaper :oops: , didn't require buying any other parts than the regular cig lighter outlet. the battery tender comes w/the necessary cord. Jim

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: that will also work

jimsol1 said:
GTvtx said:

cary
that would work, but my way was cheaper :oops: , didn't require buying any other parts than the regular cig lighter outlet. the battery tender comes w/the necessary cord. Jim
For whatever reasons, I've decided not to go the cigarette lighter route. If this doesn't work out I can always switch. Meanwhile, I have to figure out where/how to hide the wire when not in use. I suppose finding somewhat to stuff it in under the tank at the front will be what I do.

thanks for ideas!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.