Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to Wally World the other day and the kid working around the key maching couldn't find a key blank for my 2003 VTX 1800 Retro key..Do any of you know if there is one that works and which one it might be? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I couldn't find one either so I dropped by the dealer the other day and bought two blanks. They were a little high at six dollars each but in a pinch they'll be worth it.

·
Old Goat
26,182 Posts
Below is from a previous post, theres plenty of info on here about more key blanks but you would have to ugh do a search. :lol: there was a post about only one side of the key being cut if needed but I couldnt find it.

Ace Hardware about $2 blank ilcoX84 or Hillman 74 or Curtis HD74
or at
Wal-Mart - blank Acess 50 - (for a Mitsubishi or Volvo, can't remember) but works great for the X key - best of all - 99 cents each cut!

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I had luck at a locksmith shop after checking at many different other stores. I think he charged me $1.25 each. Not as "fancy" as the Honda blank but just as functional for a spare key.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I was looking through the keys at Home Depot and was trying my key to some others. I asked the kid doing the cutting to throw a cut on one of the old style Ford keys. Took it out to the bike and it worked. Might wanna try.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
You are correct TennX. As soon as I read your post I went to Walmart and got two spare keys made and they work fine. The blank # is Axxess 50. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Gary in Indiana said:
I went to Wally World the other day and the kid working around the key maching couldn't find a key blank for my 2003 VTX 1800 Retro key..Do any of you know if there is one that works and which one it might be? Thanks.
Gary.. those Axxess keys are not precise, just visit a local locksmith and spend 2-3 dollars

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TennX said:
Below is from a previous post, theres plenty of info on here about more key blanks but you would have to ugh do a search. :lol: there was a post about only one side of the key being cut if needed but I couldnt find it.

Ace Hardware about $2 blank ilcoX84 or Hillman 74 or Curtis HD74
or at
Wal-Mart - blank Acess 50 - (for a Mitsubishi or Volvo, can't remember) but works great for the X key - best of all - 99 cents each cut!
Well, I tried the Axxess 50 blank and it would not work on their machine. Two others (26 & 34, I believe) were also busts.

The problem is that now the Axxess machine uses cartridges for the cutting process and if the lengths don't match up the machine wimply won't cut the key. This new system is designed to be idiot proof for the Wal.Mart employees but also thwarts someone who could make a longer key work on the old style cutting machines.

Looks like a trip to the lock shop... :?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I knew my local m/c shop was smokin' some crack! Last time I was in I asked the price of a replacement key. They told me $15 and that I would still have to take it somewhere to get it cut. I guess I will take a trip to the local locksmith instead.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Hey Gary. I went to the key hut in front of Sears @ Glenbrook Mall. This short guy (Manager) cut 2 for me. The key is a "Cole" TO33R

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Just a F.Y.I.

Aftermaket keys are more brittle than Honda keys especially the cheaper ones. And with the with the larger head on the key and metal being more brittle they have been known to break off in the ignition switch. My other half had some made and she uses the aftermarket key only as a back up key not for daily use. The keys from a locksmith may be better than the Wally World ones but I don't know this for sure. That would be a good question to ask a locksmith.

Jim...

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Jim Travis said:
Just a F.Y.I.
The keys from a locksmith may be better than the Wally World ones but I don't know this for sure. That would be a good question to ask a locksmith.

Jim...
In my business (key knobs etc.) I have been usingvarious locksmiths.

They are very well tained individuals who know their business. They will not generally sell you a cheaper product.

The original VTX keys that were distributed in 2002 were Gold keys. They were "stronger looking" than the replacement keys purchased anywhere, but even Honda did not sell those when a replacement was needed, they sold the blanks you would get from a loclsmith.

The newer VTX's don't even get a gold shield key like I received, now all they get is the knock off with a plastic/rubber coated end on it and the material is the same stuff you will get from a locksmith.. (I recentlymade a key knob for my brother for his new 1300 R.

The keys I do not tust are the Lowes or Home depot keys becase even though the key pattern is the same, the keys generally are "Thicker" and that can mess up your ignition as you have to force the key in and then turn it.

A lock smith can also remove a broken key "if" that happems, but those are like the lotto... very rare because most people will not use a key they are seeing bending, they will replace it.

$3 is not going to break anyone.. save money and visit the pros and stay away from Lowes, Home Depot, and the dealers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts