Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it's time to buy some new cables for my 05 1300C, clutch and throttle. I don't mind the look of the stock black cables but also like the braided ones. Which brand should I buy? I have heard of some brands being prone to braking and would want to stay away from them. If I was going to just replace with stock where can I buy them. DLP sell some Motion Pro or Pro Motion ones that I guess are the stock replacements. Any info on them?

Does DLP sell stock replacements???

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
206 Posts
DLP does sell stock replacements. They are locate don their OEM part of the their site.

For braid ones, I am looking very hard at the Magnum Sterling Chromite braided cables. The braided part looks a lot more like chrome that the Barnett or Motion Pro. The problem with breaking may be associated with inadequate cable lube.

Hope this helps.
John

·
Registered
371 Posts
my stock clutch cable snapped after only 4,000 miles...

eh, oh well. got a honda oem replacement from the stealer for only 14 dollars. even if that is a couple bucks more than you could have found online it's hard to beat a break it and have it fixed the same day repair. (although i was a sight to see riding in downtown houston RUSH OUR traffic...speed shifting when i could but its stop and go.. i had my tool kit pliers holding the broken end of the cable and my foot operating it. hard to explain...)

the look of the braided cables and lines does make you drool, but it's a whole new can of worms:D

good luck mike

·
Registered
824 Posts
I just put the Motion Pro braided cables on my clutch and throttle cables. Mostly because my I added 2" bar risers and needed 2" longer cables. The motion Pros are OK so far. The braiding looks the same on all three cables (I've heard members complain about color and weave inconsistencies). They do look better than stock, but I was a little disappointed about the cable ends. Where the throttle cable mount to the throttle, the silver tubes are not chrome. They are kinda dingy aluminum color. The OEM cables were chrome. Oh well... I'll live with it.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I just ordered the cables for DLP. The Stealer wanted 50 bucks for all three cables. I got them here for about 30 bucks shipped.

·
Registered
495 Posts
You can no longer get extended lengths for metrics from Magnum Sterling. I ended up getting MotionPro clutch and throttle cables when I put on my Scootworks Phat II risers. Some cables do not come pre-lubed (including the MotionPros). You will have to lube them yourself! Poison (I think it was him) recommends relubing as part of your annual maintenance. And Spike recommends changing your clutch cable every couple years as maintenance. By the way, lubing the damned cables was the hardest part of the installation for all cables.

Dave

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
What am I missing? I can't find a clutch cable or throttle cable on the fiche..:confused:

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
I have what I beleive was a Barnett clutch cable snap on me nearly stranding me across town until my son brought me the stock one...

just bought a new Magnum Sterling model SS clutch cable from the DLP for the R/S model to give me a couple extra inches of room....will let you know:popcorn:

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Found it, thanks..

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Keep in mind that you C owners that have risers or aftermarket bars like my CP Punisher's need to order the Retro cables in place of the C cables for a much better fit as they are longer...............................:grin: Rod

·
Registered
8 Posts
ROD X...

Thanks for the heads up regarding using the stock R cables for a C model with risers. I recently installed the Scootworks SWR-9 risers on my 2007 VTX 1300C and despite the manufacturer's comments to the contrary, I found the stock C cables to be alarmingly "tight" with the risers. Hopefully the R cables will give me the 2 inches or so of additional length that I need...

Thanks again...:thumbup:

Viper Lead

·
Registered
824 Posts
My 1300C came used with 2" risers and the stock cables. Both the throttle and clutch cables had kinks in them from being too tight at full lock. I replaced them with 2" longer MotionPros and all is good. I agree regarding lubing the new cables. What a pain even with the little clamp on lube tool. It took a long time and I wasted a lot of lube. Anyway all is good now... as long as my MotionPros don't snap!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts