Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Harley Davidson Ultra Classic Electra Glide

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which bike in your opinion would be the better bike for two up riding around? I can't decide. They both have their good points and bad points.

Please give reasons for your vote.

Thx,
Mac

·
Registered
238 Posts
Ricstir said:
goldwing for reliability...and comfort...2 up is only way to go?
I agree, We went to look at a new one sat.My wife sat on that back seat and did not want to get off.

·
Registered
66 Posts
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
ya want to be a "bad boy' OR A VACATIONING MOTORCYCLE RIDER !!!!!!

:roll: :lol:

·
Registered
949 Posts
I vote for this...more comfy than a Wing for all drivers 6' and over...and more room than an Ultra for passengers...and way less expensive than both the aforementioned. :wink:

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
For me the Goldwing doesn't fit me right.. my knees are against the fairing and I don't like the sit up right always postion. I need to move around... kick feet up/out etc. The GW doesn't allow me to do that.
The HD would allow me to do that... but the new Victory Vision Tourer is where my money would go... I for one like the look, fits me nice, has a big V-twin and all the bells & whistles as either the honda or hd and its differant than the norm.
jmo
good luck either way you go

·
Registered
275 Posts
From the question in the poll I wasn't going to pick, not enough data I thought. But then I read your post and it said which for two-up riding and the decision was simple.

More likely than not, (in my case I know its true), the passenger isn't impressed by the mystic of the hardware. So just looking at creature comforts from the passenger point of view:

Smooth? Goldwing wins
Quiet? Goldwing again
Storage for all that extra stuff. Definately Goldwing
Coms system? She can tell you when to stop without shouting., Goldwing
Nav system? No need to nag about getting directions. Goldwing

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
I just went through the same thing. I couldn't make up my mind. I am short-5'7". So I test rode both bikes including the Yamaha tourer. I wasn't comfortable with my feet on the tip toes. I did take the test rides with my wife on the back. I wanted the goldwing, I am a honda fan but I have always enjoyed my Harleys to. I just didn't like the yamaha So I ended up with the same pick my wife did. Yes I still have the X. Remember You are paying for the ride get what you and the wife want not what others think you should get.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
debelt said:
I vote for this...more comfy than a Wing for all drivers 6' and over...and more room than an Ultra for passengers...and way less expensive than both the aforementioned. :wink:

Nice choice debelt!

e

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BadMoon said:
I am wondering if this is really a serious question.
Moon[/quote

Yes, this is a serious question. I want honest opinions from people who have or have tested both bikes. They both appeal to me. I have ridden a GW but not an Ultra.

ya want to be a "bad boy' OR A VACATIONING MOTORCYCLE RIDER !!!!!!
I want to be a happy comfortable rider with my lady on back being happy and comfortable. (p.s. welcome back, and get well!)

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Well I'm 5'9" with short legs and I can flat-foot my Gold Wing with my riding boots on..... so if you are a 6"3" dude then the Wing is going to cramp your style. Of course there are there are aftermarket items that will help you out there.

Let's see.....where to begin. Here are some random thoughts.

Wing weighs 40 pounds more than an Ultra and is much "wider".

The Wing handles well at low speeds but the Ultra is better.
The Wing is better in the twisties.

Both are good for interstate riding but the Wing is better.

Ultra is a bit more top heavy.

Wing has a fair amount more power.

New Ultras put off a lot of heat.

Harley = two year warranty, Honda = 3. You can purchase an additional four year genuine Honda warranty off the web for less than $400.

The new Wings have two radiators hidden in the opposite fairings (with individual fans. This is a big plus in stop-and-go traffic, especially on hot days.

Harley = belt drive. This is as smooth as it gets.
Honda shaft drives are nice and virtually no maintenance, but they're clunky.

A Honda sounds like, well, like a Honda. If you like the louder pipes then the Harley has it here, hands down.

The insurance was more on the Wing (for me). Don't ask me why that is.

Oh yes - the Ultra rides smoother than the Wing until you get into REALLY bad roads, then the Wing is a bit smoother. A subjective opinion, I know.

Minor thing - Honda holds four quarts of oil and the plug and filter are located in easy access lower front. HD has three places to change oil. Not that this is a bad thing.

If you buy a Wing than a lot of people will stop waving at you. This is a good thing. :wink:

Yes, we were also comparing the Ultra-Classic and the Gold Wing.
The reason that we have a Wing is that my wife thought is was so much more comfortable. We had previously rented both machines - not that we actually ever owned an Ultra but did have a Road King Classic.

Random thoughts by Kevin. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
FJR?
FJR?

Does it look like this? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I found this one in my back yard. My wife let me keep it. It doesn't eat much. :wink:

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
kballowe said:
FJR?
FJR?

Does it look like this? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I found this one in my back yard. My wife let me keep it. It doesn't eat much. :wink:

Yea, yea.. that's it!! it's even the best color!! They don't seem to eat much. Quite possibly the perfect street going motorcycle made today.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Another option for long distance two up touring:

·
Registered
700 Posts
Get the goldwing!!

·
Banned
24,429 Posts
I have a goldwing and rented a Ultra in Florida while on vacation and my wife would only ride with me for about 3 miles and wouldn't get back on.
There is no comparison in any area plus the heat comming of the engine of the HD was incredible.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts