Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tachometers, cobra discontinued the tachometer for the vtx 1800 C .... which options I have ?

·
Old Goat
25,806 Posts
Wrong forum....should be in 1800 tech...good luck

·
Registered
9,144 Posts
Tachometers, cobra discontinued the tachometer for the vtx 1800 C .... which options I have ?
These bikes are 13 to 19 years old now, so many of the manufacturers either no longer make stuff for them or have gone out of business. Tachs are available from outlets like Summit Racing, but then you have to fabb your own mounting brackets if lucky. FWIW, I have a Rivco tach setup that is no longer made, that uses a VDO tach insert. The VDO is similar to stuff Summit sells. I can tell you I bought it used, and it turned out to be for a 1300. So I had to track down a little black box adapter to make it work for my 1800. But since hooking it up, it has been absolutely rock steady with no needle dance or anything negative. I LOVE it! -PS I think Baron's may be one of the few left available.

·
Registered
2003 1800 S and 2005v1300R
74 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
After doing some research, when I'm ready for a tach I'm going to either get a VDO or more likely an Autometer. Both have been good in tech support through email. There is no nice mount like with the cycle craft / drag specialties or the cobra/VDO but I believe that the tachs are better quality and will work better. The auto meter is already designed to work with the single fire 1800. The tach in the cobra was VDO, and I would buy one of those if I came across one, but I don't think I would buy the cycle craft / drag specialties. I read too many problems with drag specialties tachs.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I did install a tach on my 03 1800 c a few years ago and there is a discussion on here somewhere , but I will look up my notes tonight and post the info tomorrow for you.
I used the cam position sensor for a signal and I used a full size tach, its a marine version which is important so the face is 100% waterproof.
I do have info at home on the smaller diameter one as well which I installed on my 1949 ford 8n tractor this winter.
1617646559272.png

·
Registered
9,144 Posts
I did install a tach on my 03 1800 c a few years ago and there is a discussion on here somewhere , but I will look up my notes tonight and post the info tomorrow for you.
I used the cam position sensor for a signal and I used a full size tach, its a marine version which is important so the face is 100% waterproof.
I do have info at home on the smaller diameter one as well which I installed on my 1949 ford 8n tractor this winter.
View attachment 187916 View attachment 187916
Is that a 'Clocks For Bikes' unit on the right? They too are out of business.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Is that a 'Clocks For Bikes' unit on the right? They too are out of business.
No it's not, it was a cheap Azz piece of junk off Amazon and it died within one year o_O
It's no longer on the bike I sure miss not having a time piece on there.....

Reactions: rangers4u

·
Registered
12,491 Posts
Mark4of5 May 2019 post 26 (posted) and 27

Reactions: mark4of5

·
Registered
9,144 Posts
No it's not, it was a cheap Azz piece of junk off Amazon and it died within one year o_O
It's no longer on the bike I sure miss not having a time piece on there.....
I have the Rivco / VDO tach mount made years ago. I wanted a center-mounted fixture for my satellite XM radio dock, so after half a dozen attempts to get it where I wanted, I ended up with a metal squarish piece that fits around the Rivco and does what I want, and has a little extra space above the dock. One of those cheap rectangular digital auto clocks fits right in there, and I also have one of those cheap little compass/ thermometers too.

Reactions: mark4of5

·
Registered
66 Posts
Mark4of5 May 2019 post 26 (posted) and 27
Way to go Hans!
Glad to see your doing OK 👌
Great picture and congratulations on your vtx miles, no trip last year for me ( due to the pandemic) but this year yup,yes and absolutely!
Going south from Minnesota following Mississippi.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Okay so here we go, Hans found the thread and the barron tach never got it to work properly on my 1800c, it was not accurate and way bad twitchy.
So I went to the marine side of things and was able to do a very simple hookup to the cam position sensor at the plug underneath the seat, I carefully separated the plug and removed the cam position sensor terminal then soldered a dinky gauge wire to the factory crimp and was able to reinsert it into the plug.
But you must use a tiny wire to do this, the tach is a vee three tach made by them (heavy-duty series) and sold by west marine under their brand "Sierra " . You can contact veethree tech support for more information as they are very helpful! Now I'll see if I can get some links in.....
Word of caution- the gauge face is waterproof the back is not and must be in a gauge cup mount, I've had mine out in some horrendous downpours with no problems. I did tape up the slot some on the bottom of the cup but left a small opening for the gauge to breathe, the tach is very adjustable and right on the nut .
Veethree Group - Manufacturer of CAN Displays, Gauges, Sensors & Clusters
https://www.amazon.com/Veethree-37255-Tachometer-52mm-Electronic/dp/B00RY2WELA

·
Registered
9,144 Posts
Okay so here we go, Hans found the thread and the barron tach never got it to work properly on my 1800c, it was not accurate and way bad twitchy.
So I went to the marine side of things and was able to do a very simple hookup to the cam position sensor at the plug underneath the seat, I carefully separated the plug and removed the cam position sensor terminal then soldered a dinky gauge wire to the factory crimp and was able to reinsert it into the plug.
But you must use a tiny wire to do this, the tach is a vee three tach made by them (heavy-duty series) and sold by west marine under their brand "Sierra " . You can contact veethree tech support for more information as they are very helpful! Now I'll see if I can get some links in.....
Word of caution- the gauge face is waterproof the back is not and must be in a gauge cup mount, I've had mine out in some horrendous downpours with no problems. I did tape up the slot some on the bottom of the cup but left a small opening for the gauge to breathe, the tach is very adjustable and right on the nut .
Veethree Group - Manufacturer of CAN Displays, Gauges, Sensors & Clusters
Amazon.com: Veethree Tachometer 52mm Electronic 0 – 8000 RPM (Chrome/White): Automotive
View attachment 187975
The one pic'd. only goes to 4K ? Hope yours goes higher than that.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The one pic'd. only goes to 4K ? Hope yours goes higher than that.
Yup sure does, that one in the picture is on my tractor , I used that picture just to show that Veethree makes various sizes and rpm ranges .:)
I should also clarify that the barron tach will probably work on other makes of bike's and I tried hard to get it to work properly on my 1800c using the coil hookup method and various resistors.
It may work that way but it turned into a real hair puller o_O
It was just to unstable....
Veethree makes gauges for many manufacturers and at one time provided all gauges for HD.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts