Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greeting everyone,
I know this is a subject that has been posted before but with all the new tech-knowledge being developed and compounds being used today, I was wondering which tires do you currently use in 2020 and why.

A lot of factors go into why I (and yourself) buy and ride on certain tires, not the least of which is; what kind of riding do you do? I have tried many tires over the years but currently I am using the Metzler 888. This is from their web page;

"Metzeler ME 888 MARATHON™ ULTRA is the best partner for long and safe travelling on cruiser, tourers and their custom versions.
To achieve this targets, Metzeler designers finely combined the specifications which determine the characteristics of tires: profile, structure, tread pattern and compound.
The structure shape features a flat and wide geometry that conveys and dissipates toward the sidewall the stress generated under the footprint, reducing the fatigue and the wear process.
To increase wear regularity, the transversal grooves of the tread pattern are discontinued by ‘compound bridges’, resulting in a more solid and stiffer tread design that reduces the stress transmitted to the belts and carcass plies.
Also the edges of grooves are critical areas for wear regularity. ME 888 groove walls have different inclination to ensure the best operating angle in every position.
The polymers of the compound are abrasion resistant, providing higher resistance to wear and hence high mileage."

Now i'm not being paid to sell their tires, but the do explain how this tire is constructed and what you should expect from them... we'll see. I have just recently purchased these and only have about 1K+ miles on these tires so I will not give a full report/opinion on these until later on when I finish some longer rides, I have scheduled. So far, I do like the way they feel and handle.
What about you? What tires are you running and if you could, tell us why.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Dunlop Elite 3 rear, Elite 4 Front.

good in the Wet... very good cornering grip
I average 17,000 miles per tire... over 80,000 miles

Reactions: SUMDATX

·
Registered
839 Posts
I'm running Michelin commander on back Metz 880 on front. I used metzeler 888 rear before the Michelin and it worked well and had about 17k on it with good tread left. I rolled it out after sitting all winter and the tread had separated from the tire . That's why I went to the rear Michelin .That Metz 888 high mileage tire was so stiff after 3 years I had to cut it off with a sawzall.

·
Registered
30,590 Posts
Greeting everyone,
I know this is a subject that has been posted before but with all the new tech-knowledge being developed and compounds being used today, I was wondering which tires do you currently use in 2020 and why.

A lot of factors go into why I (and yourself) buy and ride on certain tires, not the least of which is; what kind of riding do you do? I have tried many tires over the years but currently I am using the Metzler 888. This is from their web page;

"Metzeler ME 888 MARATHON™ ULTRA is the best partner for long and safe travelling on cruiser, tourers and their custom versions.
To achieve this targets, Metzeler designers finely combined the specifications which determine the characteristics of tires: profile, structure, tread pattern and compound.
The structure shape features a flat and wide geometry that conveys and dissipates toward the sidewall the stress generated under the footprint, reducing the fatigue and the wear process.
To increase wear regularity, the transversal grooves of the tread pattern are discontinued by ‘compound bridges’, resulting in a more solid and stiffer tread design that reduces the stress transmitted to the belts and carcass plies.
Also the edges of grooves are critical areas for wear regularity. ME 888 groove walls have different inclination to ensure the best operating angle in every position.
The polymers of the compound are abrasion resistant, providing higher resistance to wear and hence high mileage."

Now i'm not being paid to sell their tires, but the do explain how this tire is constructed and what you should expect from them... we'll see. I have just recently purchased these and only have about 1K+ miles on these tires so I will not give a full report/opinion on these until later on when I finish some longer rides, I have scheduled. So far, I do like the way they feel and handle.
What about you? What tires are you running and if you could, tell us why.
I've run Metz on my bikes since '05.
'05 Aero
'07 VTX 1300
'05 VTX 1300
'14 Yamaha 1300 Tourer.

Good longevity, great cornering, better than average on wet roads.
I've gotten 1 bad (Front) tire from them, out of prolly 8 or 9 sets.

I hear good things about Avon's, bad things about Shinko's
I was tempted to try Avon's, but then I figured I've been happy with the Metz, why change.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Currently running a Michelin on the front, replaced a Dunflop 404. And a Metezler on the rear. I like the Metezler, but when the time comes I’ll put a Michelin on it.

My previous bike had a set of Dunflops when I got it. Like most, I had very little faith in the rear tire, it had no grip and slipped at times I didn’t think it should. Dry pavement, little to no throttle on a clean corner. It was whitewall tires and the only other option to keep the ww was Shinko 777’s. I really liked them. They had lots of grip and felt great under the bike. I sold the bike the next season, so I’m not sure about the longevity of the Shinko.

Sitting on my VTX making vroom vroom sounds.

·
Registered
959 Posts
1800 Alternate between Metzler Marathon 888 front & rear and Dunlope Elite (front) & Hankook (rear)
1300-Metzler Marathon 888 on the rear. Shinko in the front that came with the bike.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Michelin Commander II front and rear.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I am running Shinko 777's on my bike now. At the moment I have almost 11,000 miles on the set, with maybe 30% of the tread left. So at around 15,000 miles I will take a look a replacing them. I am not sure how that compares with other brands, but they have been a good tire.

I have been looking around a bit, and I might consider the Dunlop Elite 4's for the next set. Just because.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I run a Metz 888 front and a Hankook Kinergy ST rear (205/65-15). Used a Michelin Defender rear but didn't care for how it reacted over 85 mph. This Hankook is smooth up to 90, constructed like performance tire, has 51 psi max -- so far an
excellent CT rear.
tom

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the in-put folks. It sure does seem that out of all the parts & pieces you pick up for your bike, tires are the one thing that seems to really make you scratch your head over the decision - which one?
Especially now-a-days with all the new compounds and materials these tries are made of. Some of you older riders might remember that 40-50 years ago, we didn't have near the choices as we have today. and that's a good thing. So many great tires specifically designed for whatever riding style you have.

Chime in and let us know which tire you are currently riding on and perhaps a reason why you chose them.

·
Registered
66 Posts
OEM Dunlops
OEM can't be that bad, if it was spec and those were still made in USA at the time (3 years). Have put almost 7k on them and will look at upgrading to the Elites when I change out

·
Registered
290 Posts
OEM Dunlops
OEM can't be that bad, if it was spec and those were still made in USA at the time (3 years). Have put almost 7k on them and will look at upgrading to the Elites when I change out
I like the Elite 4 tires, the only problem that I have experienced is that the tires are 4 years old when I get them. I have purchased 3 Elite 4 rear tires in the last three years, the last was 3 months ago, the date code on it was `1716(17th week of 2016). I ordered it online, so I am at their mercy as to what they send me, the 2 front tires were 2016 tires also. something to look into before you buy.

·
Registered
12,081 Posts
OEM Dunlops
It's not that they're bad...there are just other options out there that are better. Shoot, any brand new tire is going to feel better out of the gate compared to the worn out one you just replaced it with, so you can't really compare tires like that unless you've gone through several sets to know the difference.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's not that they're bad...there are just other options out there that are better. Shoot, any brand new tire is going to feel better out of the gate compared to the worn out one you just replaced it with, so you can't really compare tires like that unless you've gone through several sets to know the difference.
I absolutely agree.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I run the Rt66 Pirelli front and rear Great in dry wet and loose conditions. I have not wore out a set, have put them on all three honda's I have owned 04 750 3500 miles sold, 03 1100 4000 sold, and current 06 1300 2000 miles and lots to go........

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
best mileage with Commander II and E3 I'm trying the E4s on my RSV.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yes, I agree and thank you, I think you understood what I meant completely. Being newly back to riding, I didn’t have perspective and was new to how the bike itself handles. I wouldn’t appreciate the differences in tires. Riding only a couple thousand miles each year this set will get old before worn out.
I appreciate threads like this to help me with my next choice. Thanks for the perspectives.

Reactions: SUMDATX and MR VTX
1 - 20 of 35 Posts