Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yes, I agree and thank you, I think you understood what I meant completely. Being newly back to riding, I didn’t have perspective and was new to how the bike itself handles. I wouldn’t appreciate the differences in tires. Riding only a couple thousand miles each year this set will get old before worn out.
I appreciate threads like this to help me with my next choice. Thanks for the perspectives.

Perspective only comes with riding experience. Certainly, research and doing your homework about tires in general will help. But when it comes to "which tire", that has everything to do with your riding style, that will be the best tire for you.

When I first bought my VTX in 04, I did a lot of long-distance touring, so a harder - high mileage tire was the one. Now-a-days I do more just around N.E. Ohio (where I live) riding and we have some pretty lousy weather up here. So, the Metzler 888 are a really good choice for me, and if I want to visit some friends in South Carolina... not a problem.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Greeting everyone,
I know this is a subject that has been posted before but with all the new tech-knowledge being developed and compounds being used today, I was wondering which tires do you currently use in 2020 and why.

A lot of factors go into why I (and yourself) buy and ride on certain tires, not the least of which is; what kind of riding do you do? I have tried many tires over the years but currently I am using the Metzler 888. This is from their web page;

"Metzeler ME 888 MARATHON™ ULTRA is the best partner for long and safe travelling on cruiser, tourers and their custom versions.
To achieve this targets, Metzeler designers finely combined the specifications which determine the characteristics of tires: profile, structure, tread pattern and compound.
The structure shape features a flat and wide geometry that conveys and dissipates toward the sidewall the stress generated under the footprint, reducing the fatigue and the wear process.
To increase wear regularity, the transversal grooves of the tread pattern are discontinued by ‘compound bridges’, resulting in a more solid and stiffer tread design that reduces the stress transmitted to the belts and carcass plies.
Also the edges of grooves are critical areas for wear regularity. ME 888 groove walls have different inclination to ensure the best operating angle in every position.
The polymers of the compound are abrasion resistant, providing higher resistance to wear and hence high mileage."

Now i'm not being paid to sell their tires, but the do explain how this tire is constructed and what you should expect from them... we'll see. I have just recently purchased these and only have about 1K+ miles on these tires so I will not give a full report/opinion on these until later on when I finish some longer rides, I have scheduled. So far, I do like the way they feel and handle.
What about you? What tires are you running and if you could, tell us why.
Greeting everyone,
I know this is a subject that has been posted before but with all the new tech-knowledge being developed and compounds being used today, I was wondering which tires do you currently use in 2020 and why.

A lot of factors go into why I (and yourself) buy and ride on certain tires, not the least of which is; what kind of riding do you do? I have tried many tires over the years but currently I am using the Metzler 888. This is from their web page;

"Metzeler ME 888 MARATHON™ ULTRA is the best partner for long and safe travelling on cruiser, tourers and their custom versions.
To achieve this targets, Metzeler designers finely combined the specifications which determine the characteristics of tires: profile, structure, tread pattern and compound.
The structure shape features a flat and wide geometry that conveys and dissipates toward the sidewall the stress generated under the footprint, reducing the fatigue and the wear process.
To increase wear regularity, the transversal grooves of the tread pattern are discontinued by ‘compound bridges’, resulting in a more solid and stiffer tread design that reduces the stress transmitted to the belts and carcass plies.
Also the edges of grooves are critical areas for wear regularity. ME 888 groove walls have different inclination to ensure the best operating angle in every position.
The polymers of the compound are abrasion resistant, providing higher resistance to wear and hence high mileage."

Now i'm not being paid to sell their tires, but the do explain how this tire is constructed and what you should expect from them... we'll see. I have just recently purchased these and only have about 1K+ miles on these tires so I will not give a full report/opinion on these until later on when I finish some longer rides, I have scheduled. So far, I do like the way they feel and handle.
What about you? What tires are you running and if you could, tell us why.
I run a Commander 2 on the front,and a 195/70/15 car tire on the rear. I have run car tires on the rear of my bikes for over 15 years,and would not go back to a bike tire on the rear.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I run a Hankook Kinergy 205/65-15. I run a speedo chip and it is still good to go from the last CT. I feel like the shorter sidewall gives better sidewall strength. Here in VA, I run the Blue Ridge Parkway an awful lot -- love those curves. This tire has a really round edge and is made like a performance tire so it handles perfectly. Steady up to 90 (as far as I go).
This is the 3rd CT I've run and is by far the best.
(y)

Reactions: MR VTX

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Perspective only comes with riding experience. Certainly, research and doing your homework about tires in general will help. But when it comes to "which tire", that has everything to do with your riding style, that will be the best tire for you.

When I first bought my VTX in 04, I did a lot of long-distance touring, so a harder - high mileage tire was the one. Now-a-days I do more just around N.E. Ohio (where I live) riding and we have some pretty lousy weather up here. So, the Metzler 888 are a really good choice for me, and if I want to visit some friends in South Carolina... not a problem.
On the VTX,
Pirelli Mt66 on the rear and a Metz on the front. The pirelli seems to last forever. Longer than other rears from Metz, Avon, Michelin I have run.
I didn't care for the matching MT66 front. This is my setup of choice.

On the valkyrie, getting ready to mount some Michelin pilot road 5's. That bike eats tires quicker an my 1800x did.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
New to the Forum, but not to biking. First bike was a Yamaha Trail-master 80 back in 1967. Any way Right now Michelin has rebates on Tires. (ends August 17) So I ordered a set of the new Commander 3's for my 1300 and am getting a $60 visa card. reward is based on the price you spend. I have never tried the Michelins so will see how I like them. Picked up my 2007 VTX a couple of months ago. I used to have a 2009 Yamaha Raider. It came with Metzlers, they were POS on that bike. Most everybody on the Raider Forum ran Avon's much better tires for that bike. But then again it was 1900CC so it ate back tires if you had a heavy hand on the throttle.

·
Registered
12,081 Posts
New to the Forum, but not to biking. First bike was a Yamaha Trail-master 80 back in 1967. Any way Right now Michelin has rebates on Tires. (ends August 17) So I ordered a set of the new Commander 3's for my 1300 and am getting a $60 visa card. reward is based on the price you spend. I have never tried the Michelins so will see how I like them. Picked up my 2007 VTX a couple of months ago. I used to have a 2009 Yamaha Raider. It came with Metzlers, they were POS on that bike. Most everybody on the Raider Forum ran Avon's much better tires for that bike. But then again it was 1900CC so it ate back tires if you had a heavy hand on the throttle.
Welcome to the VTX world. That's a BIG change in power, but the 1300 holds its own in its class. (y)

·
Registered
99 Posts
My '02 1800C came from the factory with Elites and I have run it with Elites ever since, just recently putting a set of 4's on. I have run in all sorts of weather (1,500 km in pouring rain once) and have never had a problem with slippage. There are no sissy stripes on them as I do lean the bike over and have been known to drag a foot peg every so often.
I do keep them inflated well above that listed on the driveshaft sticker (33/36) and that has given decent mileage (25k-30k km) before they are shot. The tech who installed the new Elite 4's inflated them to 36/42 psi.
While having only run one type of tire probably makes me the worst guy to comment on tire comparison I do subscribe to the saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it.". There is a number of very good tires on the market and everybody will have different experiences based on their riding style and maintenance routine.

·
Registered
352 Posts
(y) Amen brother

Reactions: TinBC

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Welcome to the VTX world. That's a BIG change in power, but the 1300 holds its own in its class. (y)
Thanks, yes the Raider was a torque monster. I bought it new and had 93,000 miles on it. But I had issues with it over the years. I was fed up with Computer controlled fuel injected bikes. Was so glad to find out the VTX 1300 had only ONE Carburetor, old school this I can work on and at 70 years old it's fast enough for me:p

·
Registered
12,081 Posts
Thanks, yes the Raider was a torque monster. I bought it new and had 93,000 miles on it. But I had issues with it over the years. I was fed up with Computer controlled fuel injected bikes. Was so glad to find out the VTX 1300 had only ONE Carburetor, old school this I can work on and at 70 years old it's fast enough for me:p
Bingo...it's very easy to work on and no syncing required.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anybody running the Metzeler 888 white walls? I'm looking at replacing my tires with whitewalls since my rear is bald and from what I've seen whitewalls look great on the 1300R, and since mine is black it will have great contrast. My only issue is that the front stock size is 110/90-19, Metzeler has the stiock size in black, but whitewall they only have a 100/90-19. Any better whitewall pairs anybody recommends or a mix and match set, or do you think I'd be fine with 100s instead of 110s on the front?

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Anybody running the Metzeler 888 white walls? I'm looking at replacing my tires with whitewalls since my rear is bald and from what I've seen whitewalls look great on the 1300R, and since mine is black it will have great contrast. My only issue is that the front stock size is 110/90-19, Metzeler has the stiock size in black, but whitewall they only have a 100/90-19. Any better whitewall pairs anybody recommends or a mix and match set, or do you think I'd be fine with 100s instead of 110s on the front?
110/90-19 is the C tire size. Did somebody change the rim?
Front should be a 140/80-17 on a factory R front rim IIRC

·
Registered
12,081 Posts
If you do have the C model front rim on your R, running the 100/90-19 is fine...it's just a little shorter and narrower, but works fine otherwise.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts