Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am needing tires now and now that the tax man cometh I can finally get them...

On HDL which ones is everyone getting for the retro... I am going with stock ones here... No, I don't want to go any wider nor to a different brand here, but I want to give Hal the sale...

There are two different Dunlops on there... "New Design Elite," or just the regular ones.. By the pics I cannot truly see a difference, but just wondering which ones everyone is buying now...

Thanks in advance

ps.... started the work on blacking out my engine this week...started to polish the fins!

·
Registered
209 Posts
The most popular seem to be the Venoms or the Metzlers. I just got out on the road this week on my new Metzler 880's and really like them compared to the stock Dunlops.

Do a search, there's lots of opinions on this topic. :wink:

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
The stock Dunlops wore out too quick and "cupped" causing uneven wear and rough riding them. The Metzlers last much longer and didn't get the cupping. I know you want to stay with the Dunnies but you probably will find more went to another brand.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I have the Avon Venom R's on my Retro. The improvement over the stock Dunnies is immeasurable.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have almost 17000 on the stock Dunlops. Someone told me they were "cupping".....but, if so, it is nothing that bothers me, or that I notice. Wear bars are getting close, so it is about time for new ones. I may go with Mets or Avons........if they wear out slower than the Dunnies, I should get 20000 out of them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Quote: 17k on the stock Dunlops????????? BULLSH&T-don in st louis

Well, Don....seems like you've just called me a liar. Just went out to the garage and checked. Odo says 16,702 miles. No way I can prove it, and it really doesn't matter to me, so have a nice day.....out.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
SuperDan said:
I am needing tires now and now that the tax man cometh I can finally get them...

On HDL which ones is everyone getting for the retro... I am going with stock ones here... No, I don't want to go any wider nor to a different brand here, but I want to give Hal the sale...

There are two different Dunlops on there... "New Design Elite," or just the regular ones.. By the pics I cannot truly see a difference, but just wondering which ones everyone is buying now...

Thanks in advance

ps.... started the work on blacking out my engine this week...started to polish the fins!
Not to be getting off topic here but I just stopped by the Indian Motorcycle shop in Weston. I live in Wauseon/Pettisville area. I was looking for a NxT half helmet but I will end up most likely going with a Vega. Also looked long and hard at one of their Titan bikes. Man, the one looked awesome. I had to get out of there before I signed my life away for 9 years. I would honestly say go with either an Avon Venom or a Bridgestone Battle Axe. I'm going with the Bridgestone if I can find the right size.
Later
Nate

·
Registered
209 Posts
KeithS said:
I have almost 17000 on the stock Dunlops. Someone told me they were "cupping".....but, if so, it is nothing that bothers me, or that I notice. Wear bars are getting close, so it is about time for new ones. I may go with Mets or Avons........if they wear out slower than the Dunnies, I should get 20000 out of them.
I put 9,700 on the stock Dunlops and didn't realize how badly worn they really were until I put them up next to the new tires.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Don,

I've got 15,984 on my stock Dunnies - I run them at 40#. I would guess they have about 2-3K left. KeithS is spot on. Sorry.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Avon Venoms

I got 5K and then 7K on stock Dunlops and now have Avon Venoms with 12K on and still look great, Avon for me. The guy with 17K on stock Dunnies must not go over 15MPH to have those kind of miles on them.

VTXED Steve

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I got 7500 out of my stock Dunlops, they were cupping so bad that the bike had shack in it at 40mph. switched to Metz. I changed the rear one at another 8000 due to my heavy wrist and a planned long trip.. but the front has 11000 miles on it and will go another 4-5 thousand.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
tires

I have 8k on my stock Dunlops, and probably have another 2-4k in them. I had a couple of bucks in my pocket, so I ordered new WWW Dunnies from HDL for $187. The guys that have 'em seem to really like them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Reply to Don's question.
No need to type. Highlight, copy and paste. No offense taken....more amusement, really. Bike is a '02R, 3 years old next week. Less than 100 miles two up, and I'm under 200 lbs. Might make a difference. Pressure between 35-38.

And vtxed...freeway cruise speed, if traffic will allow, 70-80. And, I have been known to bring milk home at over 100. Highest speed, indicated 127, one night to catch a pickup that almost ran over me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts