Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is Dunlop and Shinko the only companies that make white walls for a 1300r? Currently have Dunlop and the front is wearing unevenly which I believe is causing my shimmy when I let go of the bars. Could be the neck bearings too but I figure ill go with the tire first since it needs it anyway. Back tire looks fine so I think I will just do the front for now. I run 40/40 psi. As always....Thank you!

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Also, what exactly does it mean when a tire is "cupped?"

It means the surface is wavy. Almost always more pronounced on the edge of the tread area. Generally caused by being out of balance, low on air, or bad neck bearings. The worse it is the more you will feel it.

·
Registered
7,022 Posts
If you change the tire w/o changing those junk neck bearings, you'll have the same problem again, only quicker as the bearing wobble gets worse. It's your $30 for an "All Balls" kit, or your $150 for new rubber. FWIW, I run 'Ride On' internal sealer/ balancer in my tires. VERY Smooth!

Reactions: frnkcat

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have dyna beads but can ride on also be used in tubes?
Ride-On = Yes...

A fresh new balanced tire will only mask the "wobble" temporarily. Things like windshields and fairings exascerbate the problem.
Most people see the stem bearing problem around 12K miles. Some report it even earlier. If your bike is over that... you are only delaying an increasingly dangerous problem. While it not an easy thing to change, there are many people that have changed their own without issues. There are plenty of descriptions, tips, and You-Tube videos addressing how it's done. You could always plan a trip to a nearby tech-session, and have experienced people help you change yours.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts