• Do not beleive in changing oil

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to decide wether to use a STEALER or just change the oil myself. Looks like via HDL I can get enough Synthetic and filters for 3 oil changes for $ 91.92...... Also, do you guys change the oil plug washer everytime..?

·
Registered
649 Posts
I'm no mechanic

X oil change is a snap. I was told to inspect the o-ring and as long as it is in tact you can re-use. If you want you can buy a bag from HDL to keep around .50 ea. I think shouldn't be much.

·
Registered
651 Posts
If this is the first oil change or you've always had it done by the stealer, you'll either need a wrench or you'll have to drive a screwdriver through the fliter to help loosen it...they act like an oil filter needs 100 ft-lbs of torque. Other wise, you may be able to loosen it by hand. When I first changed my oil, I went to O'Reillys and bought the smallest pliers-type filter wrench they had. I use that to take the old filter off and then install the new filter by hand.

The crush washers can be reused if they're in good shape. If you go to get new ones, make sure they're for the VTX. The first replacements I got were the 14mm ones (stealer's mistake, not mine), which aren't for the VTX. You'll need the 12mm ones.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all

It is the second oil change, the stealer did the first. Can't find a dealer who just wants to change the oil, they all want to include a safety inspection for $140.00. First change was 600 miles, now I am at 2200..

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
I have my dealer do it because it is free, one of the fine services my dealers offers.

The deal is you get a oil change every 3,000 miles and the offer three more a year as you want them. No charge!

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Those rubber strap wrenches work great for oil filters.They come in diffrent sizes and you can find em at most WalMarts and auto parts places.
Grabs better than most oil filter wrenches and a lot less messy than driving a screwdriver through em.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I do it myself...cldn't get a oil filter wrench small enough...but for like $10 from HDL you can get the Big Bike Parts oil filter wrench...best thing for changing your oil since they invented the oil pan. :lol:

·
Registered
831 Posts
I do it my self. Even though the 1st time it was a mess, couldnt get the filter off, but now its a piece of cake to do.
Kirk

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts