Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 1148 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
These could also fall into the category of KNOCK OFF.

Take a look at the “About Us” section at http://www.woodysfairings.com/

It is not far from reality. People have been doing this with designer clothes for years, if not decades.
I read what Woody's had to say - I see where he took a shot at some " assclown " who sells on Ebay, but didn't name them. Would be nice to know who Woody's was talking about! :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I read what Woody's had to say - I see where he took a shot at some " assclown " who sells on Ebay, but didn't name them. Would be nice to know who Woody's was talking about! :thumbup:
Somebody shot me an email on this. I can only say I was not aware of these guys when I wrote that on my web site, so I wasn't referring to them. As to whether or not it applies, I dunno so I can't say anything. Folks will have to draw their own conclusions.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
A few months ago, one of our VTXer's had an issue. I just looked at a hoppe and they look identical. Anyway, this vtxer had an isssue on fit and finish. Hoppe owner actually chimmed in on this board to see if it was his product. Here's the link on what the knockoff caused (issues) http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223635
Do you know if the fairing in that thread came from the fairing manufacturer in the Ebay listing above? If not then we might be trashing a fairing we know nothing about. ;) Aside from that it looks like the OP has one of these on the way, I think he'll let us know!

·
Retired Seabee, CM1
1,209 Posts
The fairing in discussion in my post was he bought it from another vtxer. Hoppe chimmed in and stated that it was apossible knock off. To pay $279 for a fairing when the industry starts at $499-699 is a sign. Read the post, you'll get a better feel of the issue. Some discussions and pictures were private between all 3, hoppe, buyer, seller. Now granted, the buyer thought he had a Hoppe, seller thought so to.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Do you know if the fairing in that thread came from the fairing manufacturer in the Ebay listing above? If not then we might be trashing a fairing we know nothing about. ;) Aside from that it looks like the OP has one of these on the way, I think he'll let us know!
I do indeed have one on the way, it really os a win, win situation. The guy has a 14 day return policy from the time I receive the item, if it's a POS it goes back plain and simple if not bonus for me.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Somebody shot me an email on this. I can only say I was not aware of these guys when I wrote that on my web site, so I wasn't referring to them. As to whether or not it applies, I dunno so I can't say anything. Folks will have to draw their own conclusions.

I want to first apologize to Glenn for any damage I have caused to his reputation. That was not my intent. Glenn is an honest and trustworthy businessman and I want everyone to know that I have the deepest of respect for Glenn and his craft.
I was just trying to bring to the conversation that “caveat emptor”, that is all nothing more.
Glenn, please forgive my lapse in judgment.

Sincerely
Gregg Kastner

·
Registered
229 Posts
How do you know theyt are a poor quality ETC. knockoff?

Have you any info on these or the sellers themselves?

Have you experience with this particular product?

Would this be a general assumption because of other knock offs?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I do indeed have one on the way, it really os a win, win situation. The guy has a 14 day return policy from the time I receive the item, if it's a POS it goes back plain and simple if not bonus for me.
Keeps us informed. Heck posts pics of every stage of the process. Show the box as received, open it up and photo how it looks packed inside. Unpack it and photo the fairing. What finish is on it to you? Paint primed? Gel Coat? Raw fiberglass? I think you get the idea.

I put in an email to them inquiring about their construction process.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
I'd be curious to know if these fairings are hand laid or chopped.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
These are definitely not our fairings. A handful or our dealers sell Hoppe Industries fairings and accessories on eBay, but they sell the real thing.

The VTX fairings in question here are basically a poor quality knockoff of our product, plain and simple.
Nice...assume the worst, makes me want to run out and buy one of your overpriced units.....oh wai no it doesn't. If you have proof to your statement please back it up if not well???

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
These are definitely not our fairings. A handful or our dealers sell Hoppe Industries fairings and accessories on eBay, but they sell the real thing.

The VTX fairings in question here are basically a poor quality knockoff of our product, plain and simple.
Thats a hasty generalization but I get that your upset cause your being copied.

·
Retired Seabee, CM1
1,209 Posts
From what I see, ebay seller is not advertising a "hoppe" But, if this manufacturer does produce a fairing so similiar, hard to tell apart, copyright laws can get in place and that company can be shut down. Anyone can copy something, but you have to make enough of a change to be diff. When I used to make my handlebar radio's, I was told to copyright it. I said no. Small changes defeats the copyrights. If you read the link I posted earlier, you'd see the fitment isssues this VTX rider had. good luck on the $239 fairing.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I have bought "Name brand" fairings and I have bought "cheap" knockoffs.

The best fairing I have ever owned is the one Honda put on my 1800GW.

Everything else has been a compromise. As far as fairings go nothing beats oem fit and quality that I have seen.

I think I want a fairing on my Neo. I have been leaning toward the MS mostly because I dont want sound and I like the option of quickly switching from the fairing to the windshield.

I had a switchblade 2up on my Rune, I liked the quick release and function, that has been the best aftermarket windshield I have owned.

I am curious as to how this fairing pans out. For the price I can afford to modify the inner for GPS and more storage.

21 - 40 of 1148 Posts