Honda VTX Forum banner

501 - 520 of 1148 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Do you have a web site or a contact for Kevnly and the fairing for $280? I have been keeping an eye on this thread for a while now.

Dan
Currently he has no fairings listed for the vtx, however give it a couple weeks or so and I am sure he will have more. Normally he will list a bunch of them and then disappear for a couple weeks until he has more to post for auction. Just for your information if you do purchase one from Kevnly, he list them as 299 or make offer. I submitted an offer of 200.00 and he accepted it. Also plan on purchasing upgraded hardware, I spent about 17 bucks to purchase new hardware as well as new rubber seal. The one that came with it was crappy but again, for the cost still came out a lot cheaper and I believe it turned out rather nice.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Check on ebay, Alex of Reckless Motorcycles may have some of his available. That is what I ordered. He is actually painting mine too. Well, his painter is. He sent it to paint today. By the time I invested money into even the rattle cans from color rite and in building a temp paint booth, I was only $75 or so short of what Alex charged me for my paint. Being that I am not a painter and pretty much screw up everything the first time around on this bike, I figured this was the best option for me.

·
Registered
125 Posts
This thread seems to have fallen asleep.... anyone else receive their fairings from Reckless yet? Mine went to his painter on Tuesday, so hopefully if I am lucky, I will have it next week.

I do have some questions about the radio installation on the Reckless fairing. Do you need some type of adapter to keep the radio in place if you are getting a 1 DIN radio? Does the weather door thing (technical term) have something that helps with that? I saw a post that said the opening on the Reckless fairing was 3.25" x 8.25", but the stereo I am looking at is 2" x 7" x 7". Can anyone confirm that opening size and tell me if the weather door thing has a ledge big enough to support the radio or if some sort of adapter might be needed? I would love to order the stereo and speakers before the fairing is shipped to me so they are here and ready when it arrives.

I also read where some work might be needed to get 5.25" speakers in the fairing. Alex at Reckless told me the ProSpec SEA5582's will fit in perfectly, but they are 5" not 5.25". Some have stated that mounting 5.25" speakers from behind the fairing works. Can this be definitely confirmed on the Reckless fairing? If so, can someone state what they had to do to make that happen? Drilling for screws or anything like that?

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate everyones help.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you kwahaes - waiting for my fairing to arrive and starting to assemble accessories.

I ordered the Jensen cover mentioned above. My stereo is a single DIN Fusion.

I'm hoping to buy Polk db521 5.25" speakers but am concerned whether they'll fit or not - don't really want to start moding my new fairing to make them fit.

While I'm waiting I'm going to go ahead and install a fuse block and 30 amp relay.

·
Registered
490 Posts
If you read the ebay add or his site, It clearly states that 5.25" will not work and that you will need 5" marine speakers for proper fit. That being said, I'm sure it's not very difficult to make the 5.25" speakers work.

BTW, on Tuesday I posted an offer of $250 and it was accepted. So with shipping mine is $300. Look forward to getting it.

I will also be going with one of the following stereos. Because I don't want a cd player and neither one of these have one.

http://www.rocktheboataudio.com/html/54104.html

http://www.rocktheboataudio.com/html/54120.html

speaker options

http://www.rocktheboataudio.com/html/32001.html

http://www.rocktheboataudio.com/html/36934.html

http://www.rocktheboataudio.com/html/27905.html

These last ones are a bit more expensive but are made with Poly Planar which will last longer.
http://www.rocktheboataudio.com/html/38318.html

·
Registered
125 Posts
I read his site and even spoke to him about the speakers and stereo. If you read my previous posts, you might know that. :smile:

My post is to find out how those who already have theirs from Reckless did their stereo installations. Most posts are about the kevnly fairing installations from what I can tell.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you kwahaes - waiting for my fairing to arrive and starting to assemble accessories.

I ordered the Jensen cover mentioned above. My stereo is a single DIN Fusion.

I'm hoping to buy Polk db521 5.25" speakers but am concerned whether they'll fit or not - don't really want to start moding my new fairing to make them fit.

While I'm waiting I'm going to go ahead and install a fuse block and 30 amp relay.

I was considering a Dual HD Marine radio I saw. I just hate ordering stuff from the net and not knowing whether it will work or not because returning it can be troublesome at times. The speakers for me are still up in the air. I have seen some Boss speakers that look kind of nice. Wish I could find some chrome covered grills though.

I would be interested in seeing how you do the fuse block and amp relay. I might need to do something like that too.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Charlie D has the fairing from reckless, he installed 5.25 diamond speakers in his so it is possible. You would be much happier installing some decent 5.25 speakers with decent specs. My fairing from Kevnly and the one from reckless are nearly identical in design and I was able to fit the 5.25 speakers in mine with a little work. If you look back a little you will see some post from charlie and you can contact him directly to get more info on the way he installed them, however it sounds like he had the same issues as me and it is not difficult. As long as the speakers have rubber surrounds and are not paper cones you do not have to worry about buying marine grade speakers which will open up a variety of speakers, manufacturers and prices. I would definitely go with 5.25" speakers and check the specs. Just some advice, I would look for speakers with a frequency range of 40-30,000 (my clarions) to 60-22,000 hz (the polk db521). I wouldn't use anything with specs higher than the polks. If you see something like 100-20,000 hz you will not be happy with the sound. The lower the first number and higher the second number equals better range. Just wanted to put that out there for those not too familiar with the specs. Also, look for > 90 db sensitivity. My clarions have 91 and the polks are 93 I believe. You can find them at great prices. The specs on my clarions are 40-30,000 hz and 91 db and sound awesome, not a thin sound at all and I got them for 36.99 pair at buy.com. I will stop rambling :mrgreen:

·
Registered
156 Posts
This thread seems to have fallen asleep.... anyone else receive their fairings from Reckless yet? Mine went to his painter on Tuesday, so hopefully if I am lucky, I will have it next week.

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate everyones help.
I wish you luck with getting it next week. I ordered mine on the13th of February and still haven't received it. Initially, the painter had some issues with matching the black cherry color. Spoke to Alex on Monday and it was suppose to ship on Wednesday. I send an email to him today, hoping it will ship tomorrow since I am on vacation next week.

Its been almost a month!

Eric

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I was considering a Dual HD Marine radio I saw. I just hate ordering stuff from the net and not knowing whether it will work or not because returning it can be troublesome at times. The speakers for me are still up in the air. I have seen some Boss speakers that look kind of nice. Wish I could find some chrome covered grills though.

I would be interested in seeing how you do the fuse block and amp relay. I might need to do something like that too.
You may want to keep in mind that if the sun is behind you and you have chrome grills the reflection could be a pain in the eyes... That is why most inner fairings are painted semi gloss or flat in a matching color.

Good luck,
Gary

·
Registered
490 Posts
I read his site and even spoke to him about the speakers and stereo. If you read my previous posts, you might know that. :smile:

My post is to find out how those who already have theirs from Reckless did their stereo installations. Most posts are about the kevnly fairing installations from what I can tell.
Wasn't being a smarta$$ with my response. I saw a question and tried to help. And being that this thread was up to 17 pages, I didn't read every single response. But thanks for clearing up your question, because I misunderstood what you were asking for.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I wish you luck with getting it next week. I ordered mine on the13th of February and still haven't received it. Initially, the painter had some issues with matching the black cherry color. Spoke to Alex on Monday and it was suppose to ship on Wednesday. I send an email to him today, hoping it will ship tomorrow since I am on vacation next week.

Its been almost a month!

Eric
I purchased mine on 2-19. It is also supposed to ship this week. I do have to say Alex has communicated with me through out this whole time.

The wait is killing me too!!!!!!!! nojoke

·
Registered
258 Posts
I ordered mine on the 3rd and it was shipped today. I have not gotten a delivery date other than Alex saying it should only take about three days. I also ask him about the splash guard size and he said that the opening was 8 1/2 x 31/2 . So the splash guard listed on another post may not fit without some modifications to the fairing.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I purchased mine on 2-19. It is also supposed to ship this week. I do have to say Alex has communicated with me through out this whole time.

The wait is killing me too!!!!!!!! nojoke
Alex does a great job with communication:thumbup: I just wish the painter could get it together. I am getting frustrated from the wait:banghead:

Eric

·
Registered
73 Posts
has anyone mounted a reckless fairing on a 1300? his website says you need to relocate the turn signals. is this true? where did you put them?

·
Registered
409 Posts
For those wanting to know about stereo install in the reckless, (I did something different) but get a single DIN marine stereo and then a cover. If you get the following, it actually fits the opening perfectly and has a tray that supports the single din radio:
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_45001_250002003_250000000_250002000?cmCat=CROSSSELL_THUMBNAIL

I bought the Pyle 5.25" speakers. The grills are slightly larger that the flat portion of the rounds, but reasonable. I did have to enlarge the holes slightly for these to fit. I used a dremel tool and drum sanding bit. You don't have to take much off, and it goes very fast with the dremel. Note how the speaker grills line up and make your enlarged hole to get the best fit for your grills.

I'll post some pics as I start putting mine back together this weekend to finish the mockup before painting.

I hope this helps.

Mark

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
has anyone mounted a reckless fairing on a 1300? his website says you need to relocate the turn signals. is this true? where did you put them?
Mine will be mounted on my lightbar. KWAHAES looks like we have the same lightbar we should be just fine.(I hope lol)

·
Registered
305 Posts
For those wanting to know about stereo install in the reckless, (I did something different) but get a single DIN marine stereo and then a cover. If you get the following, it actually fits the opening perfectly and has a tray that supports the single din radio:
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_45001_250002003_250000000_250002000?cmCat=CROSSSELL_THUMBNAIL
The model number for the Audiovox cover in your link (MRH211B ) is exactly the same as the Jensen cover mentioned previous. I suspect these are the same covers just re-branded.

501 - 520 of 1148 Posts