Honda VTX Forum banner

41 - 60 of 1148 Posts

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
The Hoppe fairings are a class above the rest. They fit up easily and are very good quality. I wish you luck and would like to hear how you fair with this.

nojoke

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I want to first apologize to Glenn for any damage I have caused to his reputation. That was not my intent. Glenn is an honest and trustworthy businessman and I want everyone to know that I have the deepest of respect for Glenn and his craft.
I was just trying to bring to the conversation that “caveat emptor”, that is all nothing more.
Glenn, please forgive my lapse in judgment.

Sincerely
Gregg Kastner
Absolutely no apology needed, but I appreciate your mindset behind it. You did nothing wrong. A website is a terrible place to keep secrets so rest assured I thought long and hard about anything I wrote on mine. I've gotten quite a few emails from friends and customers about this thread and why I've been uncharacteristically silent. My book smarts usually run about 200% over my street smarts, so I'm going to sit on my hands for a little bit before I dare to put any of my private thoughts out on the net. Words cannot be unspoken, especially when typed.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Fairing

From the photos, looks like a legitimate operation. I'd order one for my bike if I wasnt near broke. You can count on E-bay or PayPal to help get your money back if you have been ripped off. On two ocasions I was refunded my money after filing a grievance about the product. They removed the money from thier account and redeposited it in my bank account. Try that with one you order from somewhere else.8)

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I've gotten quite a few emails from friends and customers about this thread and why I've been uncharacteristically silent. My book smarts usually run about 200% over my street smarts, so I'm going to sit on my hands for a little bit before I dare to put any of my private thoughts out on the net. Words cannot be unspoken, especially when typed.

That snake has bitten me too over the years.:D Very hard to "un-ring a bell" after everybody has heard it.

Hoppe and you will only come off as trying to justify your HUGE profits if you say anything negitive. Being a businessman myself, I understand what it is like to put hours into thought, R&D, mockups, prototypes----- experiment with fit, alter this and change that. Then you finally get the perfect product and somebody orders one and copies your design and sell them for a fraction of your cost. (I am a contractor and my client has stolen 5 of my employees over a 3 year period. They can't find qualified people, so I hire them, train them and they pay them 20% more to move over. Then the employees taunt me because I wasn't treating them right:roll:--Believe me-- I understand)

Then --in your case--people come here and slam you for your "overpriced product":banghead: gotta-love-that!

Things I look for. Not an email address but how about a phone number or phyical address so you can comunicate with a human being in case you have stress fractures breaking out under your $1000 custom paint job after some riding. I know enough about fiberglass to know how important quality is in the construction process--high spots, low spots, etc... I also understand the difference between trying to establish a business and making a quick buck on the weekends with Ebay.

JUST SAYING--- Buy what you want, but don't criticize the established storefront company because they want to charge more. It is your right to buy where and from whom you choose and their right to charge what they feel if fair.

:congrats: on your purchase. Show us pictures soon.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
BTW---- is the guy selling the fairings a member of the board here?

Seems he would own a bike of some kind.:dontknow:

May even show up and answer a few questions on design and aerodynamics.

You know-- offer some knowledge on fairings and what is right for you.nojoke

You can never learn too much.nojoke

·
Registered
88 Posts
This is posted at the bottom of their Ebay page... so I'll wait on a report of quality,at this price many more will be purchasing if it's good.:popcorn:

Please make sure you read everything above & Happy bidding! PROUDLY MADE IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!!! Please don't be fooled with cheap bad quality products being imported from China & Hong Kong!!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
That snake has bitten me too over the years.:D Very hard to "un-ring a bell" after everybody has heard it.

Hoppe and you will only come off as trying to justify your HUGE profits if you say anything negitive. Being a businessman myself, I understand what it is like to put hours into thought, R&D, mockups, prototypes----- experiment with fit, alter this and change that. Then you finally get the perfect product and somebody orders one and copies your design and sell them for a fraction of your cost. (I am a contractor and my client has stolen 5 of my employees over a 3 year period. They can't find qualified people, so I hire them, train them and they pay them 20% more to move over. Then the employees taunt me because I wasn't treating them right:roll:--Believe me-- I understand)

Then --in your case--people come here and slam you for your "overpriced product":banghead: gotta-love-that!

Things I look for. Not an email address but how about a phone number or phyical address so you can comunicate with a human being in case you have stress fractures breaking out under your $1000 custom paint job after some riding. I know enough about fiberglass to know how important quality is in the construction process--high spots, low spots, etc... I also understand the difference between trying to establish a business and making a quick buck on the weekends with Ebay.

JUST SAYING--- Buy what you want, but don't criticize the established storefront company because they want to charge more. It is your right to buy where and from whom you choose and their right to charge what they feel if fair.

:congrats: on your purchase. Show us pictures soon.:thumbup:
I did bring up the over priced point but I only did so after this comment was made with no proof to back it up:

These are definitely not our fairings. A handful or our dealers sell Hoppe Industries fairings and accessories on eBay, but they sell the real thing.

The VTX fairings in question here are basically a poor quality knockoff of our product, plain and simple.
I also have no idea what the quality of this product is going to be but I am definitely going to reserve my judgment until AFTER I receive and inspect the product.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I have been looking into Fairings.

Certainly, it is appealing for the tunes, etc. I already have tunes, but nonetheless, the look of a fairing is mildly appealing.

Note, Mildly.

Im not positive I'll like it, as I've never had one on a bike before..

How "Mildly"?

$250-$350? I'd give it a go..
$350-$500? Nah..
$1,000+? Are you out of your GD mind? Ill live with my Windshield and Tool bag with speakers inside.

Much in the same way I can't justify $600 for a set of leather saddlebags when you can get a set for $279 (Just a coincidence they're the same price) that you have to mount yourself.

I got more time than money. If I wanted $1,000 accessories, I would have bought a HD, thanks.

-Gonz

·
Retired Seabee, CM1
1,209 Posts
on a side note, I looked at Reckless's feedback on ebay, all 38 pages. A good part of negs/neutral's are Road King fairings. If I saw that a year ago when I did mine, I'd would have stayed away.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I just reviewed all the feedback for reckless motorcycles. His overall feedback rating is 98.5%. As I read through the feedback, I could only find two that were directly related to fairings as once you get past the first few pages, there is no product description available. Out of all the negative feedback, only one was a concern to me, that was were the seller was accused of providing a fake tracking number. I feel that if 98.5% of his buyers were satisfied, with a 14 day return policy, and paypal assurance, I will have to give them a try. Most of the feedback on the Harley fairings were positive, I emailed a couple of buyers for the Harley fairings to see if they are still satisfied with the product after a little time has passed, that will also help my decision. Guess we will all have to wait and see how this plays out and regardless of what you choose to put on your ride, you ride, is all that matters. Some of us will spend 1600.00 for a fairing and say it is above the rest in quality, and some of us will spend 250-300 for a fairing and be as happy as pigs in a blanket:mrgreen:, regardless, everyone take care, ride safe, and for those of us interested in watching how these fairings play out, let's hope for the best:popcorn:

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Many of you already know me from over the last few years some from rides in and around the Midwest, most from this and other boards. Others may just be thinking, “Who’s he to talk? His stuff looks similar, too.” My ‘newest bike” is a high-mileage first year Valkyrie, and a lot of you from way back in the early Valk days know me as ¿spoom. I came to this board as Glenn W instead of ¿spoom because I was a designer for the newly-formed Hoppe Industries, and didn’t want any blurred lines between business or private IDs. I made a bunch of new friends when I asked for any folks in SE Wisconsin with one of those “new” VTXs if they’d like to hook up for a beer somewhere or stop by the shop so I could get some measurements for a radiator shroud. Eventually this grew into a friendship with old guard folks like Riley and Anvil, Smokn’ Joe, Skinny & Kerry, etc. and development of a fairing for the X- now known as the Hoppe Quadzilla.
I’m on my own now and just finished my first full year in business. My fairings will not fit into Hoppe molds, not even close. My RK fairings require the spotlamps to be moved to the forward holes while the Hoppe ones don’t, mine can use larger speakers than the Hoppe and also are made to accept Freedom Wings. In short, they were made from scratch.
There’s 2 basic ways to make a fiberglass fairing product.
It takes a lot of time to make it from scratch. You need to procure bikes for design and testing and spend hundreds hours fashioning from foam Bondo, scraps of metal & plastic to get a basic pattern, then fiberglass itself is used. You have to fashion mounting brackets and test the bike at speed, play with mounting and windshield angles, until you are satisfied it will be safe and functional. At this point you haven’t even started to make the final pieces which you will make the molds off of. There’s hours of tedium using Bondo and icing to smooth and shape, shooting with sandable primer and finally wet sanding from #36 all the way down to #2000 grit paper so you can polish it to a mirror. Any imperfection in the pattern will end up in the mold and every subsequent part made from it will have the same flaw. Time and money goes to drawing up plans for the water-jetter to cut brackets, tweaking is finalized.
During this whole process you have nothing to sell, nothing coming in but bills. When you finally get to make molds from the patterns and then finished parts, you get to spend more money on marketing, liability insurance; the list goes on and on. You’re living off of your savings, paying as you go. Over a year into the process and I only have 3 products to show for it.
There is an easier way; you can simply steal everything I’ve just mentioned. Wax up a competitor’s product and lay up a mold off of it, make a few parts. Hand the brackets to a fab shop and say, “Here, make me some of these.” No need to even know what size holes to drill and how it fits to the bike, you can just copy and paste instructions from their websites and printed matter. You don’t even need the bike itself-someone else did all the hard work for you so you know it’ll fit.
Just help yourself to months of somebody’s life and steal them. Lend me a Dragonfly fairing on Monday and I can be selling them by Friday night. Guaranteed.
I don’t know, care, or expect the general public to be familiar with what goes into designing these items, but a fiberglass guy knows. He knows exactly what he’s doing when/if he takes the low road. It’s always been that way, a few months to make the first part and a few days for a thief to steal it and make a second one. A fiberglass guy knows what he’s doing to another man’s life when he takes his work for free. Outsiders look at the material cost in a product and start thinking it’s a rip-off, not knowing the thousands of dollars needed to be recouped just to break even on a new project. There isn’t a buck’s worth of material in an asphalt house shingle, or 20¢ in a pickle jar, but how long would it take to make your own? Ask anyone who’s adapted a H-D fairing to their bike for maybe $200-$300 how much it would have come to if they had paid themselves even $5 an hour for their time.
I know why the VTX model Quadzilla doesn’t have metal brackets because I designed every inch of it. I wonder if Reckless knows why it’s “their” only product that mounts without brackets? Consider how amazingly prolific they are assuming they aren’t stealing other’s work, why then wouldn’t they make a second X model for the 1300s instead of just using the spacer pieces?

Does anything I just wrote mean squat to folks? With posted statements like, “Well if it turns out to be a high quality knock off I'll be happier than a pig in chit.” probably not. I watched folks stand eagerly in line for cheap Chinese copies, I’m sure they’ll chew through the butthole of the guy in front of them for a gen-u- wine ‘merican copy. Who cares if it’s a stolen watch if it keeps good time, times are hard, right?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Know what I would like to see in a VTX fairing?

One that doesn't have two/four huge holes for speakers and one rectangular one for a radio! Give me two side storage compartments and a flat center 'dashboard' panel where I can mount the things I want mounted and not what some company thinks I should mount there. It just seem like they (manufacturers) think the only purpose for a fairing is for a sound system!

That's what I want in a fairing!

Oh yeah, it has to be made of FIBERGLASS - hand laid - not sprayed in - both inner and outer shells because I am a fiberglass person!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Definately understand where you are coming from Glenn.

My biggest question is.................Is this a knock-off??? Or is it actually a fairing he made. Maybe I'm missing something, but alot of the fairings I've seen look alike. If it's a direct knock-off of yours I for one would not buy it. If it is just one of the several batwing fairings that look alike, who knows this guy did not do the work designing and testing it also?
I'm just curious here. As I said if I know for sure it is a knock-off, he would never see a dime from me. I have been looking for a fairing for quite awhile and have it down to a Woody's or a Memphis batwing. Deciding if I want a stereo will be the deciding factor on my choice.

Actually the choice above would be nice also. Glenn???

·
Retired Seabee, CM1
1,209 Posts
what glenn said
Ask anyone who’s adapted a H-D fairing to their bike for maybe $200-$300 how much it would have come to if they had paid themselves even $5 an hour for their time
I have a few days in moding a HD. I picked HD due to it's HD products that go with it. Yes, I have time/mat'l in what a woody's, JP cycles, WOC would cost. I like to tinker so I chose HD. Soon, I'll get another outer shell, make it diff than anybody else's.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Know what I would like to see in a VTX fairing?

One that doesn't have two/four huge holes for speakers and one rectangular one for a radio! Give me two side storage compartments and a flat center 'dashboard' panel where I can mount the things I want mounted and not what some company thinks I should mount there. It just seem like they (manufacturers) think the only purpose for a fairing is for a sound system!

That's what I want in a fairing!

Oh yeah, it has to be made of FIBERGLASS - hand laid - not sprayed in - both inner and outer shells because I am a fiberglass person!
No argument from me, but most of what you're asking for is just outside the mainstream enough for the potential market to be a tiny fraction of that for fairings with radios and speakers. Due to the huge cost of doing a fairing from scratch (cough cough) I'd be nuts to do a second version like you describe for the VTX before doing an audio version for the Nomads, Road Stars, etc. Most folks who don't want audio will just go with a Kenny Day or MShades "front only" version and a large tool pouch-type bag and be quite happy. The market just wouldn't support me in doing one like you described unless somebody else made one first and I made a mold from it. Then I'd be ready to sell them in a week and have less than $2000 invested, including labor and the cost of other guy's fairing.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Definately understand where you are coming from Glenn.

My biggest question is.................Is this a knock-off??? Or is it actually a fairing he made. Maybe I'm missing something, but alot of the fairings I've seen look alike. If it's a direct knock-off of yours I for one would not buy it. If it is just one of the several batwing fairings that look alike, who knows this guy did not do the work designing and testing it also?
I'm just curious here. As I said if I know for sure it is a knock-off, he would never see a dime from me. I have been looking for a fairing for quite awhile and have it down to a Woody's or a Memphis batwing. Deciding if I want a stereo will be the deciding factor on my choice.

Actually the choice above would be nice also. Glenn???
They didn't used to look alike, I designed the first (and at the time, only) 4 speaker fairing because round speakers reproduce the best sound and most stereos have 4 channels. Dollar for dollar 4 round speakers will blow away 2 larger ovals, though if you throw enough money at it a twin oval jobbie can be awesome. Then they started popping up all over. I do this for a living and I can spot things on a fairing that others may not, just as somebody in a different line of work would with their expertise. I do know it's physically impossible to quickly have an expansive line of fiberglass products without stealing, and they do seem to have quite a large group of products for a varied line of bikes if you look at everything they list on ebay. I also know what health insurance, sales tax, liability insurance, PayPal & eBay fees, etc. come to, and their prices can't support thousands of unpaid hours modeling their product lines from scratch. There are things I'd love to point out about what looks like what and what doesn't, but I suspect I may end up called into court some day so it seems best to let folks use their own eyes and decide for themselves. One the other thread where the gentleman posted pics of the counterfeit fairing with the real Hoppe door, I knew instantly it wasn't a Hoppe. It wasn't one of my babies. Spend a few thousand hours a year doing this and you'll recognize your own work. I don't think they've even ripped me off, just Hoppe and others BTW, but it hurts everyone. Makes me think twice about bothering to do anything really new and cool, if it'll come out the week later for $100 less. Like others, I'd welcome a rebuttal if there's something I'm missing here.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Pretty well answered my questions about it Glenn. Thanks for the response. Now I just have to decide.........stereo or not.
Anyone with V&H bigshots (stock baffle) with a stereo?? Can you hear it on the highway over the pipes?

·
Retired Seabee, CM1
1,209 Posts
well this seller admits shipped from china http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harley-Davidson-Detachable-Fairing-for-Road-King-5-inch_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4a9d9a0993QQitemZ320471697811QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories Now www.invictamotorsports.com is the parent company. When I first saw invicta, I thought they look like a legitament american made. I know awhile back, some riders here couldn't get them on the phone. Me, before I made expensive changes to my bike, I spent alot of time researching and listening. Just.... buyer beware, do your homework.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
No argument from me, but most of what you're asking for is just outside the mainstream enough for the potential market to be a tiny fraction of that for fairings with radios and speakers. Due to the huge cost of doing a fairing from scratch (cough cough) I'd be nuts to do a second version like you describe for the VTX before doing an audio version for the Nomads, Road Stars, etc. Most folks who don't want audio will just go with a Kenny Day or MShades "front only" version and a large tool pouch-type bag and be quite happy. The market just wouldn't support me in doing one like you described unless somebody else made one first and I made a mold from it. Then I'd be ready to sell them in a week and have less than $2000 invested, including labor and the cost of other guy's fairing.
Glenn -

Wouldn't it be a matter of just creating a new inner fairing? Or was the outer fairing created with audio in mind??

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
well this seller admits shipped from china http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harley-Davidson-Detachable-Fairing-for-Road-King-5-inch_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4a9d9a0993QQitemZ320471697811QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories Now www.invictamotorsports.com is the parent company. When I first saw invicta, I thought they look like a legitament american made. I know awhile back, some riders here couldn't get them on the phone. Me, before I made expensive changes to my bike, I spent alot of time researching and listening. Just.... buyer beware, do your homework.
Is that seller also selling a fairing for the VTX ?

41 - 60 of 1148 Posts