Honda VTX Forum banner

981 - 1000 of 1148 Posts

·
Registered
9,553 Posts
i have a 1800R with 1800c risers and reckless fairing just finished and ready to put on. will it fit with the 1800c risers cause it looks like it will touch. does snyone on here have the 1800c risers and any problems, any advice appreciated.
Nope mine didn't with a Hoppe. Had to get some Valk risers.

Sometimes you can find them on E-bay for a lot less.

http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=265&str=2

·
Registered
9,553 Posts
Try the reckless with the "C" risers. It may be different than my Hoppe. :dontknow: The Hoppe was designed with the stock risers so that's why such a tight fit.

·
Registered
125 Posts
any other risers that may work with the reckless fairing and not hit or i may have to go back stock
I have the Aeromach 4" risers on my 1300 R and the Reckless fairing. It is close and I installed some foam padding to protect them from any vibration that would cause the fairing to hit them. If I raised the fairing a bit, it would leave a little more room, but I like where it is for now.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Okay, here is an update on my fairing build. BTW, I realized that its a total PITA to shop for electronics on eBay. I had to send three items back.

I have installed my Reckless fairing on my 1800c, with aftermarket 7" headlight bucket with adapter/riser, so my headlight actually rests about 2" higher and 1-2" forward than stock.

Here is my website URL, look in the VTX fairing install folder:

http://community.webshots.com/user/2001concours

I came up with a solution to allow the fairing to fit, I took some 2" black PVC pipe and end caps to make two closed tubes, sort of another set of forks to clamp onto. Then I used a 3" stainless (nice and shiney) pipe repair clamp to securely fasten the closed tubes to my forks. I used two out of the three hose clamps to fasten the fairing to the closed tubes.

I installed a power outlet in the left tube and a Scorpion voltmeter in the right, so they are also functional.

I have been messing around with a bracket I made to fasten a waterproof compartment in the space between the headlight and front of the forks, still messing with that space and the bracket. I may just wind up with a Pelican waterproof box to hold my iPod and USB drives. I have a ShowChrome volt/temp/clock meter that I will mount on a bracket.

I installed a Jensen VM9413 multimedia head unit with a 7" touch screen behind a Jensen marine spash cover. Looks good, but not perfect, as sometimes the screen hits the top of the cover and knocks the screen a bit, forcing me to realign the screen before it will fold back into the unit.

I chose the Jensen VM9413 due to it's cool touch screen and multiple inputs; DVD, iPod, USB, SD, 2 standard media, HD radio, Bluetooth and, with the Nav102 module, navigation.

Purchased 3 different amplifiers until I was able to find one that fit, a small Nitro 4 channel 300 watt. Quality is nowhere near as good as a Mosfet Jensen amp, but at least it fits.

The biggest challenge after finding a small amp is cramming all the cables for the navigation into the fairing. There is about 35 feet of cable to deal with.

Speakers are the Polk Db521s, four of them. I will paint them semi gloss black before mounting to the fairing once it gets back from the painter.

So today I am off to the stores to look for another waterproof box, then will ship the fairing to the painter tomorrow.

·
Registered
808 Posts
My Woody Fairing being shipped today - ahead of schedule.

I am a Happy camper......
:pepper1:

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
OK, this is the radio I went with http://www.pyleaudio.com/itemdetail.asp?model=PLDNV49

I have the Xtreme Revolutions fairing. It calls for 5 1/4" speakers. Based on the radio I got, what speakers and wattage would work the best?

Thanks,

Scott

I couldn't find any specs on this stereo as to load impedance, thd, frequency... etc.

The only thing I saw was wattage is listed at 80 x 4 so you would need to have a speaker that can handle that. Could not see what size fuse it takes to get a more realistic idea of the wattage. It is always a good idea to listen to a set of speakers once you find one that meets the specification of the head unit. We all like to hear music a little differently.

BTW, just a heads up. If it is accurate. Per a report on Amazon you are limited as to what you can listen to while navigating. Like no CD and MP3's. Here it is below....

Limited capabilities, May 12, 2010
By
Amazon Verified Purchase(
)
This review is from: PYLE PLDNV49 4.3-Inch TFT Touch Screen DVD/CD/MP3 Player/AM/FM/SD-USB Receiver with Built-IN GPS and USA Canada and Mexico Maps (Electronics)
I purchased this unit for the navigation and MP3 functionality. Unfortunately use can't use both at the same time. You can use the radio with the navigation, but then you are limited to the weak reception of the radio on non-urban areas or traveling across longer distances. You cannot use the CD player with the navigation system either. The MP3 player randomization function is predictable and constant. The play will always start with the first file on the SD card and the next song is picked randomly. However, each time you get into the car the same random songs are played in the same random order. This unit is a nice unit if you only want it to do one thing at a time, however, do not ask the unit to do more than one thing at a time. When I get a chance I will swap this unit out for a better one and sell it on e-bay.

Good luck,
Gary

·
Registered
610 Posts
This is the stereo I went with for my Woody's fairing and I'm completely satisfied with it. Decent radio reception but I use a 4GB SD card 99% of the time. Cheap and works just fine.

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
Nice looking bike there BULLDOG…and I’m glad to see you are one of the select few that can afford a “Woody’s” fairing. Maybe some day I will be able to own one but then again, the XR is pretty nice too especially the “Scratch and Dent” priced ones.

I wonder if Glen has such specially priced fairings that he could offer in order to get more of his product out there in the marketplace.

I'll bet you that Bully's faring cost him more $$ than youd ever think, and it took 5 years to pay for it. ;)

·
Registered
14,249 Posts
I'll bet you that Bully's faring cost him more $$ than youd ever think, and it took 5 years to pay for it. ;)
Very well said.

BTW, I would doubt Woody's would offer scratch & dent merchandise. Scratch & dent merchandise is usually reserved to mass produced products in which a flaw is created during mass production, or during mass storage. Glenn's product is hand made to order, so any defect created in manufactureing would be fixed during manufacturing. If you want a cheap "Woody", call Glen and order it without anything in it. No speakers, no antenna, no accessory socket, no wireing, etc. I'm sure he could cut a little off the price for JUST the fairing. But you're gonna have to purchase all that stuff anyway. Why not get it WITH the fairing?

Sometimes, products are more expensive because they are worth it.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
After dealing with and talking to Glenn a few times on a number of different subjects, I would be very surprized if he would ship out anything attached to his company and name that is less than perfect.

He offers a quality product at a VERY REASONABLE price and that is his business model. I don't think he would clean out the "defect bin" (purchased as is) at reduced rates just to bring in a few bucks. I think his eye is on a bigger picture.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Very well said.

BTW, I would doubt Woody's would offer scratch & dent merchandise. Scratch & dent merchandise is usually reserved to mass produced products in which a flaw is created during mass production, or during mass storage. Glenn's product is hand made to order, so any defect created in manufactureing would be fixed during manufacturing. If you want a cheap "Woody", call Glen and order it without anything in it. No speakers, no antenna, no accessory socket, no wireing, etc. I'm sure he could cut a little off the price for JUST the fairing. But you're gonna have to purchase all that stuff anyway. Why not get it WITH the fairing?

Sometimes, products are more expensive because they are worth it.

I still don’t understand the fairing mold process I guess. The fairing I was referring to is the XR scratch and dent fairing I see folks buying for about $300.00. Most are saying they are near perfect. I just assumed all vendors had a few fairings that maybe didn’t pass the quality test like they should and offered them at a reduced price just to move them. I see quite a few people mention the Woody fairing and his quality. I went the cheap way out with the idea of buying a better one down the road when finances are in a little better shape. I’m ok with what I have, not totally happy but ok. I’d like to look at a Woody’s or XR fairing later and from what I see the preferred is Woody’s. The fairing on BULLDOG’s bike is awesome. I could never afford something like that. That’s my point. My bike is a daily driver, not a show bike so the fairing will get messed up quick from road debris.

Again BULLDOG, great looking bike.

·
Registered
229 Posts
QUALITY PRODUCTS FROM AN AMAZING GUY

WOODY'S FAIRINGS

Be that as it may, but, I am done with fork mounted fairings.

Not to mention, look at that huge gap in between the headlight and fairing. Was it meant to look like that? Is that how the owner wanted his bike to look? With such a void there, IMHO, that looks like sheit.

·
Registered
14,249 Posts
I still don’t understand the fairing mold process I guess. The fairing I was referring to is the XR scratch and dent fairing I see folks buying for about $300.00. Most are saying they are near perfect. I just assumed all vendors had a few fairings that maybe didn’t pass the quality test like they should and offered them at a reduced price just to move them. I see quite a few people mention the Woody fairing and his quality. I went the cheap way out with the idea of buying a better one down the road when finances are in a little better shape. I’m ok with what I have, not totally happy but ok. I’d like to look at a Woody’s or XR fairing later and from what I see the preferred is Woody’s. The fairing on BULLDOG’s bike is awesome. I could never afford something like that. That’s my point. My bike is a daily driver, not a show bike so the fairing will get messed up quick from road debris.

Again BULLDOG, great looking bike.
There are two basic processes with fiberglass. Sprayed fiberglass (less quality, but fast) and hand laid (best quality, but takes more time) When you hand lay fiberglass, if you know what you are doing, you should really never have a defect worthy of scratch & dent status.

The price of the Woody is really not significantly higher than a scratch and dent XR if you consider the fact that the Woody's comes with everything but the radio head unit. Once you add speakers, antenna, wireing, etc to a scratch & dent XR, you are pretty close to the $735 price tag of the Woody's. And as far as it holding up to road debris, hand laid will always be a more sturdy product than blown fiberglass. This is not a show only fairing.

·
Registered
229 Posts
It needs to be documented that the 300 or so dollar price was relagated to the plastic scratch and dent fairings from XR.

981 - 1000 of 1148 Posts