Honda VTX Forum banner

1021 - 1040 of 1148 Posts

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Woohoo, got everything mounted up today and dropped the shell off at the painter, counting the minutes till I can put it back on painted and finished and ride with my fairing!

·
Registered
83 Posts
got my inner mounted on and put the outside on and one of the inserts the bolts screw in came loose, i jb welded all of them tried to put it back on and two came loose. Did anyone have this same problem and maybe someone has a solution to this problem, other than this i like it but am getting frustrated with it. thanks for any help or ideas

·
Registered
104 Posts
got my inner mounted on and put the outside on and one of the inserts the bolts screw in came loose, i jb welded all of them tried to put it back on and two came loose. Did anyone have this same problem and maybe someone has a solution to this problem, other than this i like it but am getting frustrated with it. thanks for any help or ideas
I used epoxy on all of mine. Seems to hold fine.

Another solution would be to square out the holes and use M5 cage nuts. I’ve seen a few here do that. It requires drilling out all of the threaded inserts but at least it’s more user friendly after the cage nuts are in place.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
What is the best epoxy to use on plastic? :dontknow:

·
Registered
125 Posts
I used this glue that was sold to me to fix chips in corian counter tops. It is like some ultra super duper super glue or something. It is called Apollo 2002. I have used this stuff on all kinds of things ranging from metal to plastic. It is the best glue I have ever used. I put some on the two fairing bolts that came lose and waited 15 minutes. After that, I couldn't budge them. I did a quick search and here is a place to get it:
http://www.cyberbond1.com/products_list.aspx?Product=2002

I am certainly buying more of this when I run out.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Slice it in half.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Done. Thanks guys. One more question. Did you guys run your cable in front of your trees or behind your trees?

I left mine in front which was better AFTER adding more spacers, but I think in front is more recommended and will work better without scrubbing fairing. I also sent you my number to call and ask questions. You can look in the photo album also.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Woohoo, just got my stock bars in the mail today! I need to swap out my drag bars and then I can mock up the reckless fairing and do a final adjustment before I get it painted, should be short time now for me to get it on my bike! I won't look like this after rides anymore!
Downside - You'll have to stop more frequently for food . . .

·
Registered
610 Posts
Done. Thanks guys. One more question. Did you guys run your cable in front of your trees or behind your trees?
My cables are still in front of the trees but I would rather them be behind since I am eventually going to get risers with some pullback. If I would have thought of it when I have my forks out removing my covers I would've done it then.

·
Registered
12,051 Posts
My cables are still in front of the trees but I would rather them be behind since I am eventually going to get risers with some pullback. If I would have thought of it when I have my forks out removing my covers I would've done it then.
The good news is you can move the cables without removing the forks, as long as you can get underneath the top triple tree clamp to remove your bars. If you can, just remove the bars (laying them down on a heavy blanket on your tank...or have someone hole them), and then loosen the upper pinch bolts and remove the stem nut. Pull the top clamp off, move your cables back behind it, and then put everything back together. The lower pinch bolts will hold the forks in place, as long as they are tightened to spec.

I suspect that it's going to be difficult to get to the handlebar bolts, though, with the fairing in place.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Has anyone found a good bag to put under the stereo on this fairing. Ideally I would like one that will cover the whole handle bar mount and has a clear cover so I can put my gps in it.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I have been looking for a mostly waterproof fork bag with a zipper and velcro closure to hold my iPod, USB flash drive and some cables. No luck since all the local small cruiser shops that carry that type of stuff have gone out of business. Bought one bag online and that claimed to be waterproof, but the design will let water right into it.

·
Registered
12,051 Posts
Has anyone found a good bag to put under the stereo on this fairing. Ideally I would like one that will cover the whole handle bar mount and has a clear cover so I can put my gps in it.
You could go with an Otterbox and some type of handlebar mount. I just bought this Garmin GPS mount off eBay that some others on the board have bought. I wanted it on my bars to get it as high as I could without having to look down too far to see it. I also wanted it to the side and not directly in front of the stereo. The quality is good, and the price was right. I'm not worried about a waterproof enclosure, because I can take it off when it starts raining and just put it in my rain suit. I may still opt for the Otterbox, though, so I don't have to worry about it on long trips. I also bought the Gilsson direct wire for it, so I'll have it powered full-time when the bike is on.

1021 - 1040 of 1148 Posts