Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the ones for the Tornado setup but my filter is quite large. I swore I seen them somewhere like Jegs or Summit but I've not seen any now that I'm looking. I'm always afraid I'm going to get caught in the rain. I've been lucky so far. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Drillbryan said:
try advance or autozone thats just like the filters on a car for a cool air intake they might be able to help
Yeah, I should probably do that. Being that this is actually a cold air intake for a PT Cruiser :lol: that I modified. I think I might be on to something if not. I just found Outerwears which makes waterproof covers for filters.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
WildmanVTX said:
Drillbryan said:
try advance or autozone thats just like the filters on a car for a cool air intake they might be able to help
Yeah, I should probably do that. Being that this is actually a cold air intake for a PT Cruiser :lol: that I modified. I think I might be on to something if not. I just found Outerwears which makes waterproof covers for filters.
I don't know about water proof but, K&N makes prefilters that slip over cones to collect dust and such before it hits your filter. Supposed to benefit those who live in dusty areas.

I would imagine you could scotch guard it to help repel water.

Not sure though.

Good luck.

·
Registered
12,125 Posts
AgentOrange said:
I don't know about water proof but, K&N makes prefilters that slip over cones to collect dust and such before it hits your filter. Supposed to benefit those who live in dusty areas.

I would imagine you could scotch guard it to help repel water.

Not sure though.

Good luck.
I tried that, but I still got bogged down in just a light rain. The smooth cover I have now gets me through even the hardest downpours without any issues.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
WildmanVTX said:
Like the ones for the Tornado setup but my filter is quite large. I swore I seen them somewhere like Jegs or Summit but I've not seen any now that I'm looking. I'm always afraid I'm going to get caught in the rain. I've been lucky so far. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
shower cap?

·
Registered
829 Posts
Measure the filter and go to http://www.knfilters.com/wraps.htmscroll down to the Precharger/Drycharger those ones have been pre-treated to repel water

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ims598 said:
Trojan may make something that fits......go with the XXL you can get at the drug store.... :lol:
Should I get ribbed for that rugged look? :lol: I had to use a UPS envelope the other day. Fortunately, it was while I was at work and wasn't riding. Just came up a down pour.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
VTXDick said:
Measure the filter and go to http://www.knfilters.com/wraps.htmscroll down to the Precharger/Drycharger those ones have been pre-treated to repel water
Sweet! I'll check that out. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I may not know what i'm talking about on this but I don't see that the bike is getting any more air than it would with a BAK or something of normal size. After all, the pipe into the carb is the size of the carb. just curious on why you would put that big of a filter on it. :?

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
haveme1 said:
I may not know what i'm talking about on this but I don't see that the bike is getting any more air than it would with a BAK or something of normal size. After all, the pipe into the carb is the size of the carb. just curious on why you would put that big of a filter on it. :?
Well, it's kind of a long story. See, it's actually an APC cold air intake for a Chrysler PT Cruiser that I slightly modified. I designed and had the portion that mounts to the carb made out of aluminum. My plan was to get a smaller cone filter but just never did. It's grown on me and I have all of about $30 bucks in the setup. Now the machined part was a fringe benefit of my profession. I didn't put a large filter on for performance reasons, just wanted that type of intake and was trying to come up with something that I created without having to spend $300+ on one. Hope that clears up any questions. My reason for the post is to find a cover (that looks presentable) to put on in case of rain. If I were to get caught in rain, the filter will be soaked. So as far as sucking more air as any other intake, I have no idea. Not concerned with that. :D

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
WildmanVTX said:
I took one of those foam wraps and cut it to size and sprayed it inside and out with waterproofing and tossed it in my saddlebag for those rainy occassions. Only used it a coupla times but it did the job well and didn't effect perf. 8)

Biddy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts