• No formal training at all

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a graduate of both the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) basic rider course and experienced rider courses, I'm just curious as to how many of us have taken "formal" motorcycle training. This is something I'm planning on doing once every couple of years from now on I think. It's just very good training and excellent technique practice.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Yes, I have taken the BRC and feel it is very important. I have my fiance enrolled in a private course as I could not get her in the state funded course.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I also like to repeat the ERC from time to time, to break the bad habbits
and as continued learning "riding experience" I have take the ERC twice now.

old or new bad habbits are sometimes hard to break if you don't know you're doing something wrong.

Enjoy the Ride
Roger

·
Registered
70 Posts
MSF course worth every penny and time spent. Will also be taking the Advanced MSF course.

G

·
0 Posts
I got my MC license 35 years ago. No such thing then, and I probably wouldn't have taken it then either.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've taken both, my wife was an instructor for quite a few years. I haven't done them on my VTX, but would like to this summer. I did the ERC on my CBR600, heh, would be a whole different ballgame on the VTX!

Highly recommend them to everyone I talk to.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I'm on the waiting list... it will probably be next season before I can take it. By the way, the 1300 is the first bike I've ever been on. Got about 800 miles on her now.

·
Registered
320 Posts
MSF course

I took the course because I wanted the insurance break and had not been on a bike in years. I also never had this many c.c.'s. Not many have. Bought the bike without ever riding it. My brother road it home for me ,about 25 miles and I followed in my truck. I live in the country and snuck rides untill I could go to the class. After I completed the class I rushed to the D.P.S. took the writen test ,paid ,and waited . The clurk looked at my drivers license, and said you already have a motorcycle code on your license. DAAAA! Still good afer all these years! I enjoyed the course and think it is well worth while! IN TEXAS CLASS CM is motorcycle.

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
I took the basic in 1978. I should take the advanced, one of the guys I ride dirt bikes with is the instructor and keeps telling me to take it, I probably will do it this year.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Took basic course for $100.00. The bikes used were 250 and 350 CC bikes. Great basic course and with the certificate could go and get MC endorsement on license without the test.

Going through the cones, box figure eight, curves and braking with the smaller bike was a breeze. Have been practicing with the 1800 and seeing constant improvement. Also bought Jerry Motorman Palladino Ride Like a Pro DVD III and going over the friction zone control procedures for slow speed manuvering made handling the weight of the 1800 a breeze. After getting on the 1800 I soon realized that I could not manhandle the bike like the ACE 750 or Sabre 1100 I had previously owned.

Ride Safe, Take Care, Dan
:coffee1: :coffee1: :coffee1: :coffee1: :coffee1:

·
Registered
248 Posts
The 1300 was a breeze to handle in the slow speed manuvers in the ERC. 13 people in the class. One cruiser (me) 11 sport bikes and a moped.

12 of 13 riders had pointes deducted for either crossing the line of droping a foot.

I did not, the low end torque I think makes a world of difference. That and a 15 years riding.

Poor moped crashed and did not finish the course. Pulled the front brake in a curve and down he went.

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
RattlerX said:
The 1300 was a breeze to handle in the slow speed manuvers in the ERC. 13 people in the class. One cruiser (me) 11 sport bikes and a moped.

12 of 13 riders had pointes deducted for either crossing the line of droping a foot.

I did not, the low end torque I think makes a world of difference. That and a 15 years riding.

Poor moped crashed and did not finish the course. Pulled the front brake in a curve and down he went.
Sportbikes are hard to handls at low speeds. I think I could make tighter slow speed turns with the X than with the CBR.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I took the basic riding course as a weekend course and took it again as a college course becuase it is worth 3 credit hrs which really helped my gpa when I made a 100 in it.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
My 2 cents:

I can guarantee you that there are "experienced" riders out there who have never practiced the things they forced me to do in the basic class. I thought the class was supposed to teach you to ride (and I already "knew how")...I was totally unprepared for how challenging it would be (not to mention down right fun). I'm not sure how typical our particular class was, but they had us doing hard swerves, and hard stops, speeding through cones, etc. Hard enough in fact that several people, including a rider with several years under his belt, layed it out.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've taken the basic class twice, about 4 years apart. Its a lot of fun, can help your insurance, makes getting your endorsement a piece of cake AND you might learn something that could save your life someday. All things considered, its better than a kick to the head with an iron boot ;). I recommend going with a friend, makes it that much more fun being able to compare notes afterwards.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I took the experienced class two weeks ago and would highly recommend it. Everyone will learn something from it no matter how good or experienced they think they are. The class I was on almost everyone was on a big cruiser, Harleys mostly. Nearly everyone was an older experienced rider but it was obvious that some had problems with critical skills like emergency evasive maneuvers and maximum controlled braking. These are things that few of us practice in everyday riding yet are essential. The course is fun and the only criticism I have is that it is too short!

·
Registered
649 Posts
MSF course

Has anyone taken the safety course on there 1800? I took the course on my bro's 750 before I got my X. I don't know if I could handle the slow figure 8.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts