Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
From my personal observation, Millenials and Gen-Z kids grew up very sheltered and are scared of a ladybug's fart.
One more reason why parents shelter there kids is because it's a more dangerous world filled with murderers, sexual predators, kidnappers and rapists that will harm kids if they are not accompanied or there whereabouts are know by parents. It's a different world than it was 30 years ago and more.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
College debt - I believe is the biggest single financial roadblock to many Gen Y and Gen Z'ers being able to have a hobby like motorcycling. That and because some kids are staying in college longer for one reason or another, uncertainty about what they want when they enter and a variety of other reasons. My ex-daughter-in-law eventually got her masters in psychology but she went to college for so long that we thought she was going to be a professional student.

·
Premium Member
7,166 Posts
And the number taking gender studies, philosophy, and any number of courses that leave you with the ability to do ... well nothing. At least nothing that pays ... unless they get tenured as a prof or something.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
30 years ago, the cost of a starter home around here was maybe 1.3 X the avg young couple's combined income.

Today it's about 5-6X

Student loans are massive in comparison etc.

Plus it's hard to game all day or binge watch TV when riding ....

Reactions: gfund9958

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Here's some interesting stats i just found. These stats arrive from 2018 owner surveys conducted by the Motorcycle Industry Council.

might be easier on the eyes looking at it on the link below

Following are the latest statistics of motorcyclists in the USA:

Male Owners – 81 percent
Female Owners – 19 percent
Median Age:

2018 – 50
2014 – 47
2012 – 45
Married:

2018 – 68 percent
2014 – 61 percent
2012 – 63 percent
College Graduate:

2018 – 24 percent
2014 – 20 percent
2012 – 17 percent
Median Household Income:

2018 – $62,500
2014 – $62,200
2012 – $64,100
Work Status:

Employed – 71 percent
Retired – 24 percent
Motorcycle Ownership:

2018 – 13,158,100 (up 2.5. million over 2014, the last year of the ownership survery)
2009 – 11,704,500 (previous record)

Motorcycles in Use:

2018 – 12,231,000 (up more than 2 million over 2014, the last year of the ownership survey)
2009 – 11,015,105 (previous record)

Source data:
https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2019/02/07/motorcycle-statistics-in-america-demographics-change-for-2018/

----------------------------------------------

46% of Motorcycle owners are age 50+
71% of Motorcycle owners are age 35+
https://www.statista.com/statistics/888306/us-motorcycle-ownership-by-age/

·
Registered
390 Posts
I think military service should be mandatory. A two-year hitch before college. They would learn discipline, exertion, self-sacrifice and maybe, just maybe, some common sense.

This would also allow parents to fortify their homes against their return.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
I'm starting to think the market is just saturated and there is a glut of used bikes. There are more riders today that ever before in the USA. Historically almost half the riders are over 50 years old anyway and almost 3/4 over 35. Millennial and Gen-Z may end up riding in large numbers once they "Grow-up" and get into that 35+ category, they will have more money then too. Cruisers are and have always been the choice of older riders.

More people own Motorcycles today in the USA than ever before in our History.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I think military service should be mandatory. A two-year hitch before college. They would learn discipline, exertion, self-sacrifice and maybe, just maybe, some common sense.

This would also allow parents to fortify their homes against their return.
Yes, and motorcycle training in the military. :grin2:

·
Premium Member
7,166 Posts
I'm starting to think the market is just saturated and there is a glut of used bikes. There are more riders today that ever before in the USA. Historically almost half the riders are over 50 years old anyway and almost 3/4 over 35. Millennial and Gen-Z may end up riding in large numbers once they "Grow-up" and get into that 35+ category, they will have more money then too. Cruisers are and have always been the choice of older riders.

More people own Motorcycles today in the USA than ever before in our History.
Regarding used bikes. Never in the history of motorcycling have motorcycles ever been built to such a standard. For pennies on the dollar, my son bought a 1994 750. It's got 50,000 miles on it and needs nothing. Doesn't burn oil, no odd noises, and still runs like a champ. Aside from some cracks in the plastics, you'd never know its age. Don't get me wrong, there's some junk out there too, but generally, since the 80s, bikes are lasting longer and longer, and can be had for a song. Especially if you're looking for a first bike.

Thanks for finding all of those stats. A bit of an eye opener.

Reactions: RBS and VTXArizona

·
Registered
112 Posts
They seem to be disconnected from the outside world. They might even fear it. They'd go hiking only if trees and flowers has a Like or Dislike button. Especially with all the bees and mosquitoes around.
I hate bees and mosquitoes. Used to get stung a lot in Florida in the summers growing up. Few yrs ago was riding, stopped at a state park to take a leak and got stung close to the main line! Mosquitoes find me no matter where I am.lol

I get your point, it stops them from doing normal things. Didn't stop me.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Regarding used bikes. Never in the history of motorcycling have motorcycles ever been built to such a standard. For pennies on the dollar, my son bought a 1994 750. It's got 50,000 miles on it and needs nothing. Doesn't burn oil, no odd noises, and still runs like a champ. Aside from some cracks in the plastics, you'd never know its age. Don't get me wrong, there's some junk out there too, but generally, since the 80s, bikes are lasting longer and longer, and can be had for a song. Especially if you're looking for a first bike.
Because our bikes are lasting longer some of us are holding on to our current rides and will never will purchase a new bike again. How often do you see someone replacing a bike at the end of its life. Most get bored or outgrow a bike that still has a lot life left.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
There were 837 thousand bikes owned but not in use in the USA in 2018, that survey said.

I assume they got that from bikes that were registered, then unregistered and the reason given was bike was kept by that owner it but they're not operating/using it. This could be a bike status anywhere from inside someones garage with a flat tire all the way to the bike being in someones backyard with a tree growing through it, or maybe already scrapped.:dontknow:

·
Registered
390 Posts
Damn hoarders. :wrong:

QUOTE=VTXArizona;4616598]There were 837 thousand bikes owned but not in use in the USA in 2018, that survey said.

I assume they got that from bikes that were registered, then unregistered and the reason given was bike was kept by that owner it but they're not operating/using it. This could be a bike status anywhere from inside someones garage with a flat tire all the way to the bike being in someones backyard with a tree growing through it, or maybe already scrapped.:dontknow:[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
665 Posts
There were 837 thousand bikes owned but not in use in the USA in 2018, that survey said.

I assume they got that from bikes that were registered, then unregistered and the reason given was bike was kept by that owner it but they're not operating/using it. This could be a bike status anywhere from inside someones garage with a flat tire all the way to the bike being in someones backyard with a tree growing through it, or maybe already scrapped.
Many guys got motorcycles and after a short time owning them stop riding due to lost of interest or life events. There's a lot of bikes parked somewhere by the owner that doesn't want sell it for some reason.

·
Registered
8,739 Posts
Let me be blunt:

the Millennials don't ride because it chaffs their lady parts. :D :joke: :shock:

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
Motorcycle Ownership:

2018 – 13,158,100 (up 2.5. million over 2014, the last year of the ownership survery)
Motorcycles in Use:

2018 – 12,231,000 (up more than 2 million over 2014, the last year of the ownership survey)

Source data:
https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2019/02/07/motorcycle-statistics-in-america-demographics-change-for-2018/

I assume they got that from bikes that were registered, then unregistered and the reason given was bike was kept by that owner it but they're not operating/using it. This could be a bike status anywhere from inside someones garage with a flat tire all the way to the bike being in someones backyard with a tree growing through it, or maybe already scrapped.:dontknow:
Not sure what the 837 thousand difference in the the 2018 motorcycles owned vs 2018 motorcycles in use represents. Thats a big number. It may also include all unregistered bikes at dealers, although registration data wouldn't provide this info :dontknow:

So take the 837K with a grain of salt i guess, not sure what it represents.

CORRECTON: the number is actually 927,100 bikes not in use. again, not known exactly what this means as said above. :dontknow:

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
Here's some interesting stats i just found. These stats arrive from 2018 owner surveys conducted by the Motorcycle Industry Council.

might be easier on the eyes looking at it on the link below

Following are the latest statistics of motorcyclists in the USA:

Male Owners – 81 percent
Female Owners – 19 percent
Median Age:

2018 – 50
2014 – 47
2012 – 45
Married:

2018 – 68 percent
2014 – 61 percent
2012 – 63 percent
College Graduate:

2018 – 24 percent
2014 – 20 percent
2012 – 17 percent
Median Household Income:

2018 – $62,500
2014 – $62,200
2012 – $64,100
Work Status:

Employed – 71 percent
Retired – 24 percent
Motorcycle Ownership:

Motorcycles in Use:

Source data:

----------------------------------------------

46% of Motorcycle owners are age 50+
71% of Motorcycle owners are age 35+
https://www.statista.com/statistics/888306/us-motorcycle-ownership-by-age/
I found it interesting to see the median age increase.

Reactions: VTXArizona

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Yes, i influenced the stats jumping back into riding at 54, and now at 62yo.

Increase in older riders or a decrease in younger riders, or both?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I will say that is mostly due to money, I think most of the millenials dont have the same opportunities that the boomers/gen X or Z for that matter.

Combine this with useless debt generating college degrees and you have a entire generation with less purchasing power.

Speaking of used market glut my friend was amazed that I was looking at a 2006
FLHTCUI - Ultra Classic Electra Glide in pristine shape for only 6K, the market is hot for buyers now.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts