Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,
I recently bought an 02 1800C. It was sitting on a non op for a few years, and the person who owned it passed away, so I'm unable to get any info about why it was non op. I thought it needed a fuel pump because it was not coming on at first; then while in the process of removing the tank, it kicked on, so I put it all back together, changed plugs, oil, air cleaner. It ran seemingly fine. I took it out and about a mile from home it seemed to get really hot, then it just shut down. It appeared that the fuel pump quit again, but it was acting very strange electrically. It's a new battery, but it would barely crank, then it just stopped as if electrical was cut off. After it cooled the fuel pump would kick on, but when I tried to start it, it did the same thing, as if electrical was acting up. When I got it home I put the charger on and it flashed green for 30 minutes or so, then battery fully charged. I'm at a bit of a loss. I'm planning to replace the fuel pump. The previous owner installed a chrome set of horns and accent lights under the tank, so I'll be exploring what exactly he did. Any thoughts? Your help is greatly appreciated as always.
Vince

·
Registered
14,648 Posts
It ran seemingly fine. I took it out and about a mile from home it seemed to get really hot, then it just shut down.
Fuel pump is submerged in gas, so what got hot??
Have you checked the coolant level at the radiator cap???? Running hot, lean fuel or one cylinder has no fire but getting fuel and a fire burning in the exhaust pipe. OEM exhaust 2 to 1 can do it. Drain fuel tank, see what is going on there. Parked for a long time causes many problems from fuel filter to injectors..

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fuel pump is submerged in gas, so what got hot??
Have you checked the coolant level at the radiator cap???? Running hot, lean fuel or one cylinder has no fire but getting fuel and a fire burning in the exhaust pipe. OEM exhaust 2 to 1 can do it. Drain fuel tank, see what is going on there. Parked for a long time causes many problems from fuel filter to injectors..
The motor good hotter than normal, and no I didn't check the radiator. It has vance and hines exhaust. It had no gas in the tank, and the tank looks clean on the inside. So I'll be taking a look at the fuel injectors. Also, I'm wondering about the power commander, because it looks really old. Do you know if Fuel Pump Factory is a good fuel pump? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I checked the coolant and it's full. You guys may remember me from my first VTX1800, I was the guy who changed exhaust from a side burner to stock exhaust in 2021. Sadly I sold that bike and had huge sellers remorse, then I bought a Vmax 1200 and enjoyed that, but it wasn't for me, so I sold it and bought this one. It's project bike to get it back up to snuff; and I'm off to a rocky start. The fuel pump kicks on now, but I ordered a new one anyway. I've got all the stuff to do the cooling system. I'm nervous about taking how it just shut down like that. Would the fuel pump shut down, then work intermittently?

·
Registered
13,239 Posts
The brakes look like they have new pads and the fluid looks good, but I'll take your advice and replace ALL fluids. Thanks very much.
All fluids are Hygroscopic meaning they will draw moisture over time, temp changes that cause condensation. All fluids should be changed every couple years for peak performance. Yes, the fork oil too. The reason they put a sight window into the clutch and brake handlebar reservoirs is to notice when they go from clear to ice tea color, CHANGE it! The only way to determine anything about the pads is to measure the thickness of whats left, just like a garage inspection station does. FWIW, here in Pa. .002 is the minimum they will pass.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All fluids are Hygroscopic meaning they will draw moisture over time, temp changes that cause condensation. All fluids should be changed every couple years for peak performance. Yes, the fork oil too. The reason they put a sight window into the clutch and brake handlebar reservoirs is to notice when they go from clear to ice tea color, CHANGE it! The only way to determine anything about the pads is to measure the thickness of whats left, just like a garage inspection station does. FWIW, here in Pa. .002 is the minimum they will pass.
The fluid is tea colored, but the pads are really thick. I think he had replaced the pads. It's a great bike, but needs a thorough going through. I'm not super experienced with bike mechanics, so I guess I failed to approach with sound judgement. Lots to learn. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
383 Posts
The 2002 models had a service bulletin to relocate the main battery ground strap to a crankcase bolt. It was incorrectly placed on one of the chrome clutch cover bolts and did not provide a reliable ground, in which case, it could lead to overheating the small ground wires on the frame at the back of the tank. It might be worth checking this out.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The 2002 models had a service bulletin to relocate the main battery ground strap to a crankcase bolt. It was incorrectly placed on one of the chrome clutch cover bolts and did not provide a reliable ground, in which case, it could lead to overheating the small ground wires on the frame at the back of the tank. It might be worth checking this out.
Thanks very much, I'll check it out.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I found a bare wire that had power to it. It must have shorted. The previous owner had installed under tank lighting. I'm still going to replace fuel pump, hoses, filter. It appears he did an in-part de smog, so I'll be making sure that is thoroughly done. I haven't done much electrical work, but I'll be doing a thorough inspection. The gas looks clear coming out of the tank; I might do something to clean it anyway. I know this is a good bike, it just needs attention. Thanks for the comments and input.

·
Registered
13,239 Posts
Consider replacing all fuses with the EZ-ID or Smart-Glo kind that light up when they pop. Makes finding problems so much easier going to the right circuit. And keep plenty of spares for when you try to find the problem.

Reactions: Vince159

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi I have a 2002 VTX 1800C and I have found that a product call Rislone Hy-per cool super coolant works wonders for keeping the seals in the water pump from leaking. Also bike runs slightly cooler. This also keeps all the rubber parts in the cooling system heather. I am just staying this from my own experience. My water pump was leaking a few drops of coolant every time I shut off my bike. About 4 years later and about 15000 miles later still not leaking after adding product. Leak came back after last coolant change but went away after adding product back to cooling system. Enjoy your bike!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Consider replacing all fuses with the EZ-ID or Smart-Glo kind that light up when they pop. Makes finding problems so much easier going to the right circuit. And keep plenty of spares for when you try to find the problem.
I'll do it. This bike has 30k miles, and I want to get it squared away properly. I want to clean the inside of the tank while I'm doing the fuel pump etc. Do you have any suggestions on how to do it?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi I have a 2002 VTX 1800C and I have found that a product call Rislone Hy-per cool super coolant works wonders for keeping the seals in the water pump from leaking. Also bike runs slightly cooler. This also keeps all the rubber parts in the cooling system heather. I am just staying this from my own experience. My water pump was leaking a few drops of coolant every time I shut off my bike. About 4 years later and about 15000 miles later still not leaking after adding product. Leak came back after last coolant change but went away after adding product back to cooling system. Enjoy your bike!
Thanks man, I just ordered a bottle. Enjoy your weekend.

·
Registered
13,239 Posts
I'll do it. This bike has 30k miles, and I want to get it squared away properly. I want to clean the inside of the tank while I'm doing the fuel pump etc. Do you have any suggestions on how to do it?
Sorry, I have no experiences along that line, other than what I've read. Search the forums for help there unless someone sees this and gives you a link. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts