Honda VTX Forum banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2007 VTX 1800N (N1), Vance and Hines (baffled), stock intake, 23K miles and growing
238 Posts
I've seen vinegar and something to knock the rust off (dog chain, etc.), Muriatic acid, electrolysis. Vinegar needs to sit for days because the acid is weak. Muriatic acid can't sit in there for too long and you don't want to breathe it in!, Electrolysis requires venting and multiple attempts depending on how bad it is. Tons of videos out there. Oh, and CLR.

·
Registered
2007 VTX 1800N (N1), Vance and Hines (baffled), stock intake, 23K miles and growing
238 Posts
One member used Evapo-rust to clean his tank. He forgot to keep air blowing from the tank vent. He did it again and all was well.
Remove the fuel injectors also.
Hans, I looked for that post after seeing your comment. Couldn't find it. Do you remember if they had concerns about flash rust like using vinegar?

·
Registered
14,648 Posts
At the top of page "Search Community", type in "Evaporust"
Several posts you can review regarding VTX use and also read the documentation.

Reactions: Vince159

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Consider replacing all fuses with the EZ-ID or Smart-Glo kind that light up when they pop. Makes finding problems so much easier going to the right circuit. And keep plenty of spares for when you try to find the problem.
Hey Ranger could you help with something? I've been searching for info on fuel filter replacement and I can't get a good answer; the honda filter is about $70, I found one for about $25 from amazon that says it replaces the correct honda part number, but it's mostly plastic and the honda one is all metal. I get the sense that I should go ahead and get the honda filter. Do you have any suggestions? I appreciate any help.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hey Ranger could you help with something? I've been searching for info on fuel filter replacement and I can't get a good answer; the honda filter is about $70, I found one for about $25 from amazon that says it replaces the correct honda part number, but it's mostly plastic and the honda one is all metal. I get the sense that I should go ahead and get the honda filter. Do you have any suggestions? I appreciate any help.
Vince, I know you asked Ranger but permit me a quick reply. The most info I could find about Honda filters when I looked was their medium filtered something like 80 microns. You can find 3/8" in line filters for much cheaper than 70 bucks and they filter at 30 microns. Even metal ones with reusable media (bronze element) for cheaper than that. I'm a fan of see-thru types, like wix (part 30033, I think). If you ever remove your pump and go gravity feed you will have to test the filter to make sure the fuel goes past it into the carb; it doesn't always work.

·
Registered
13,239 Posts
Thats something I haven't personally dealt with. There are a few others on here that may have the right answer for you. GL.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
At the top of page "Search Community", type in "Evaporust"
Several posts you can review regarding VTX use and also read the documentation.
Thanks Hans. I really appreciate this community. I was looking at people using vinegar. My tank is not rusted over, it's got some build up of sediment. I'll take a look at the Evaporust.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Vince, keep us posted on your progress and lessons learned. As these bikes get older a lot of us will need to do the same.
Will do buddy. Right now I'm waiting for parts to come in the mail, and I won't be moving forward until next weekend; with replacing fuel pump and cleaning the tank. I'm figuring out the best and cheapest way to clean the tank because there isn't rust, but there's some gunk. I plan to leave the fuel injectors alone, and use seafoam after the fuel pump replacement.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Will do buddy. Right now I'm waiting for parts to come in the mail, and I won't be moving forward until next weekend; with replacing fuel pump and cleaning the tank. I'm figuring out the best and cheapest way to clean the tank because there isn't rust, but there's some gunk. I plan to leave the fuel injectors alone, and use seafoam after the fuel pump replacement.
I've heard bad things about sea foam. I have some surface rust starting in my tank so I'm going to looking at that some time. I also think about putting in an inline filter but there isn't much room.

·
Registered
2002 VTX1800R Lowered 2" Rhinehardt Flush Cut, Brown County X with Flames Air Box Cover
1,553 Posts
Some claim Acetone might work.

Here is a link that might be informative.

Also read about KREEM.

And if all else fails, here is a good link.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I've heard bad things about sea foam. I have some surface rust starting in my tank so I'm going to looking at that some time. I also think about putting in an inline filter but there isn't much room.
That's interesting, I've heard good things about seafoam. I've used it a number of times, including my car, and it has helped to improve responsiveness etc. I'm a little curious about the bad things. I have heard that if you over do it and put too much in your car's tank it could damage parts related to smog. As for the filter, I would buy the honda one if money was no object, but that's not the case. Because I'm new to a lot of this stuff, I'm sticking to the way it's set up, and using the Fram G3606, as described above. Have a good week everyone.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Some claim Acetone might work.

Here is a link that might be informative.

Also read about KREEM.

And if all else fails, here is a good link.
The prankster in action lol; I don't have a cat, but I'll be bearing that in mind lol

21 - 40 of 64 Posts