Honda VTX Forum banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
13,239 Posts
I've heard bad things about sea foam. I have some surface rust starting in my tank so I'm going to looking at that some time. I also think about putting in an inline filter but there isn't much room.
Your the first I've heard anything bad about Seafoam. Since I first heard of it in 2009 when I got my 1100 Shadow Spirit, and 2 years later when I got my VTX, I've used nothing but seafoam in my fuels, for all my gas-powered equipment and fuel jugs. Can I personally prove it does what it says? No, but then i can honestly say it has NOT hurt anything either! I prefer Seafoam over Sta-bil. Sta-bil degenerates over 1-2 years. Proven.

Reactions: DrDolittle

·
Registered
2007 VTX 1800N (N1), Vance and Hines (baffled), stock intake, 23K miles and growing
238 Posts
[.
Your the first I've heard anything bad about Seafoam. Since I first heard of it in 2009 when I got my 1100 Shadow Spirit, and 2 years later when I got my VTX, I've used nothing but seafoam in my fuels, for all my gas-powered equipment and fuel jugs. Can I personally prove it does what it says? No, but then i can honestly say it has NOT hurt anything either! I prefer Seafoam over Sta-bil. Sta-bil degenerates over 1-2 years. Proven.
Hmmm. Looks like I need to take some time to go look at all of that again.

·
Super Moderator
64,385 Posts
I've used Seafoam for winter and summer storage for all my small engines and they all are working great and start on 1 pull. Lawn mower, snow thrower, weed eater and motorcycles. Fuel is really bad here in northern Illinois without the choice of getting straight gasoline anywhere. Just the e10 crap corn gas and without a treatment of some kind, you'd be rebuilding all your carbs every time you take one out for the season. Seafoam has a permanent spot on my shelf in the garage

·
Registered
13,239 Posts
I've used Seafoam for winter and summer storage for all my small engines and they all are working great and start on 1 pull. Lawn mower, snow thrower, weed eater and motorcycles. Fuel is really bad here in northern Illinois without the choice of getting straight gasoline anywhere. Just the e10 crap corn gas and without a treatment of some kind, you'd be rebuilding all your carbs every time you take one out for the season. Seafoam has a permanent spot on my shelf in the garage
Also leaf blower, pressure washer, chain saws. But while i do use canned pre-mix for the saws, I have had to mix my own a time or 2 and with Seafoam in the mixed fuel too.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Well I got the pump assembly out. The boot was disintegrated and stuck to the wall of the tank. I've got to clean the tank, I'm leaning toward the vinegar process. Thoughts? I have to figure out the assembly in part; there was a small tube seemingly in/near the brillo. I've been buying parts individually. I've got a good part of it for about $200, so far. I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday. God Bless.

·
Registered
2007 VTX 1800N (N1), Vance and Hines (baffled), stock intake, 23K miles and growing
238 Posts
I'm using evaporust in an old 1300 tank right now. Been soaking 3 gallons in there for 2 1/2 days. Evaporust is non-caustic and won't damage paint. I'd still wipe away any spillage, though. Will end up leaving it in there for a week. I'll let you know how that goes.
Yours has the pump in it tank, so I'm not sure what I would do about that. Maybe take the pump parts away from the seal and place the seal back on the tank?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I'm using evaporust in an old 1300 tank right now. Been soaking 3 gallons in there for 2 1/2 days. Evaporust is non-caustic and won't damage paint. I'd still wipe away any spillage, though. Will end up leaving it in there for a week. I'll let you know how that goes.
Yours has the pump in it tank, so I'm not sure what I would do about that. Maybe take the pump parts away from the seal and place the seal back on the tank?
That maybe a good idea because they're pretty crapped up. Is there a sealed coating inside the tank that could be damaged? by evaporust? I've watched a few video, but that was only mentioned once. yes, I'm very curious how yours comes out.

·
Registered
238 Posts
That maybe a good idea because they're pretty crapped up. Is there a sealed coating inside the tank that could be damaged? by evaporust? I've watched a few video, but that was only mentioned once. yes, I'm very curious how yours comes out.
There won't be a coating inside the tank from the factory. But some people coat theirs. I think you would know looking at the tank. If you see metal there is no coating.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Okay, so I'm getting ready to put it all back together, and I find that the strainer for the pump is not the right one. I bought the pump from the fuel pump factory because I thought it was a better option from the cheap ones, and the honda unit that was very expensive. It was around 75 bucks. They said they cannot get the correct one, and I can either reuse the old one, or return it. I'm waiting for a couple of final piece to come before I can finally get it all back together. Kinda bummed about the strainer thing though.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
How much material in the OEM strainer?? You can vacuum and water pressure to clean it while in search
for a new one.
It doesn't look too bad, it just looks old. Apparently they do not sell them separately. I'm thinking about soaking it in vinegar, then hot water with a little soap, then soak it in gas. That's the way of cleaning out a rusty tank per numerous videos on youtube. The inside of my tank is not really ugly inside, so I was planning to try doing a gas rinse a few times. I don't like the idea of using vinegar etc on this tank because of it's inner design. I don't have the $$ for rust remover, and there is hardly any rust. Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
You could make a replacement work. Visit a marine store for nylon fuel fittings and 90's'.

The filter sits above the tank bottom, so you have some " design leeway."

Or any Home Depot plumbing section with nylon fittings.

Any LS G.M. V8 in tank filters are available from Summit Racing or Pepboys. They are cheap and durable.

These LS engines are fuel injected so the filters withstand high volumes. My $.02.:cool:

·
Registered
238 Posts
It doesn't look too bad, it just looks old. Apparently they do not sell them separately. I'm thinking about soaking it in vinegar, then hot water with a little soap, then soak it in gas. That's the way of cleaning out a rusty tank per numerous videos on youtube. The inside of my tank is not really ugly inside, so I was planning to try doing a gas rinse a few times. I don't like the idea of using vinegar etc on this tank because of it's inner design. I don't have the $$ for rust remover, and there is hardly any rust. Thoughts?
In my vid of rebuilding an 1800 pump I show the filter I got from an AutoZone. It had to be folded a bit to fit but it worked.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I guess that will work.
I wonder if honda cars/ATV have something like the 1800 setup.
The one I got is for a car I believe. ATV maybe,
You could make a replacement work. Visit a marine store for nylon fuel fittings and 90's'.

The filter sits above the tank bottom, so you have some " design leeway."

Or any Home Depot plumbing section with nylon fittings.

Any LS G.M. V8 in tank filters are available from Summit Racing or Pepboys. They are cheap and durable.

These LS engines are fuel injected so the filters withstand high volumes. My $.02.:cool:
Good idea. maybe I'll take it up to pepboys, or Tognoti's and see if they have anything. Ty.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts