Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it would be interesting to see just why everyone here ended up with a VTX?

Mine was more by chance than by planning. I decided I wanted to get a motorcycle, but was unsure as to what motorcycle to get. I thought I wanted to get something small to learn on (sold my vulcan 500 8 years ago), but knowing that I would quickly get up to speed on riding, I didn't want to get something small just to turn around and sell it to get something larger. After my wife told me that she would want to ride with me :thumbup:, I started to talk to a member here that I know (Gen.Mclovin) and he quickly suggested the vtx. I didn't think a cruiser was for me and was considering a sport touring motorcycle. Then one day at work, we were talking motorcycles and a guy said he had a bike that he wanted to sell quick to fund another project. Long story short, I purchased a 2003 1800R, with low miles and a good price. No doubt, after I get some more practice in, it will be great motorcycle for two up riding. At first, I was really concerned about the weight and power of the motorcycle, but my fears quickly changed to respect and I have not had a lick of trouble. I have only put about 300 miles on it so far, but that should change quickly as the weather starts to get nicer.

So that is kind of my story, didn't really pick out the VTX, but just by chance I ended up with one, and so far I am really glad that I did!

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
Welcome to the nut house.

Me, wanted a smaller and lighter bike as the wife stopped riding behind me... got rid of the Gold Wing and ordered the VTX1800...

it is smaller and about 300 pounds lighter... and takes 1/4 the time to Wash... all pluses for me....
forward controls to help out my OLD knees...
riding for 45 years... without a year off.

added<> 9 Hondas... 7 were new.. and a few I purchased just to fix and resale... again all Honda's

I am a Honda NUT... also a 1992 Honda 4514 lawn tractor... from New. still going fine.
wife had 3 New Honda cars... and I had a Acura (Honda) for 17 years... Ohio Salt killed it.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
I'd had 6 bikes, all Honda's up to that point, incl. the 1100 Shadow Spirit I'd just sold. I knew I wanted another Honda, as they make great machines, and I'd read some, and heard some, about the VTX. I looked for a month or so, at all bike sales venues, incl. Craig'slist. Spotted my 1800 right away, but really didn't want a black one. Continued looking, and found a 4 yr. old 1300 R w/ bags, w/s, V & H, and 470 mi. on ODO. Beautiful blue bike. I then saw in Traders Guide, a description of the 1800 that sounded very similar to the one in CL, but it had a diff. ph. #. I called, and the owner said it was indeed the same bike. Found where he lived, 9 mi. from me, went and looked it over. Loved it except for the black. Told him I wanted to look for another week, but didn't find anything else I liked. Called him and went to give him a deposit till I could get the rest out of savings. A couple days later it was mine! You know what they say, once you go black.........:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I was riding a 30 year old Venture and was looking for something newer. I also wanted something with more power for getting out of bad traffic situations easier. I had never had a cruiser before and like the looks, power and price of my VTX so I bought it and have never regretted it.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I had demo ridden a few and the VTX has always been on my list of bikes I'd own one day. So when my GF at the time wanted to do something for her 40th birthday, I suggested the Lake Superior Circle Tour. She said yes to that, so I needed a bike and decided it was time to get the VTX I'd kind of wanted. Found a nice 2003 C with 9000 miles for a good price and began tweaking it for the trip.
I've since decided it's a keeper and continued tweaking it to my liking and for what I want to use it for. (Two-up riding and trips)

·
Super Moderator
63,577 Posts
Bought mine in January of 2002. It was a warm day for Chicago at 38 degrees. But I had to buy it then or someone else would ride it home. I had been reading about it in mags for a couple months and it was the first one I had seen other than the demo model at the Int Motorcycle Show. It was damn cold ride but it was awesome;

Her first picture

How I sold her;

·
Registered
26,099 Posts
I rode illegally (No license no insurance, no sense) in the 60s.

My boss bought a used '96 ACE from a friend of ours, who never had a problem with it.
Nor did my boss.

I bought a new '05 AERO. Loved the bike, but couldn't keep up on the hi-way.
No problems with it.

Went to visit family in Fl., and rented an 1800 & a 1300 for a week each.

Came back home, sold the Aero which had 65,000 miles on it in '08,
and bought my leftover '07 1300S, which now has almost 115,000 miles.
With no problems.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I bought a v65 Magna when I was 19. It was getting hard to find parts for, it was needing more work, and wasn't really that comfortable for long trips. I wanted a proper cruiser but wanted something that would that would be powerful (those of you who know Magna's know they go pretty good). I've always liked the look of the VTX and they had finally dropped into my price range. It was the only bike I searched for and the only model I wanted. Found a nice one in February and have put 1500 miles on thus far this season. Loving it!

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
as getting a little to stiff (I wont say old :lol:) to continue doing long distance touring on my Hayabusa and decided to get a cruiser. I really couldn't justify paying for a new Harley because I wasn't sure it would get me across the country and back without problems. Yeah I know those were the old AMF Harley days, but since I was planning a cross country trip the image of being broke down in the middle of nowhere stuck in my mind. So I began check out the reviews of cruisers and settled on a 2004 Yamaha V-Star 1100. I walked in the dealership looked at the 1100 and saw the VTX 1300 and my mind was made up. We've been together every since...longer than some marriages:lol:

Just a couple of configurations she's been through
vtx canada.jpg vtx 1.jpg
vtx3.jpg vtx4.jpg

·
Registered
391 Posts
Nice of you to join us.

I wanted a fast, reliable, bad ass looking cruiser. So I got one.

:agree: AND I found one in my favorite color

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I was getting bored with my old Shadow Spirit 1100, went to the dealership to check out the new VTX, sat on it and knew one important fact. It fit me, I have not changed any of the ergonomics. Other than the seat.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Almost all of my adult life I have ridden bikes (a lot)..
First Harley in 1963. On to many other brands & sizes up to 6 cyl Kaw (monster fast).
10 years on a police bike, best job in the world for a biker...
Continued my personal bike life and started my two kids riding on 3 wheel Honda's to 2 wheel dirt bikes.. THey are both still proud owners of 2 wheels.
Son has a 2 yr old road glide.
Daughter sold her Dyna and just bought a new (2015) Road Glide. (both black BTW).
I was visiting them in Portland/Vancouver area last Aug and the weather was awesome for a change.
We rode, I rode the Dyna quite a bit, daughter rode with her B/F and son rode with his G/F..
Damn it was so cool, havnt owned or ridden in about 15/20 years, it had sort of just faded away & out of my life......
When I got home I was on a quest, as the fire had been reignited in me....
I started on C/L looking at Harleys. I was shocked at the sticker prices ($15 K and up) for anything worth a damn..
Started seeing VTX and others in the adds and really liked the 1300 style, looks and prices.
Looked at a couple of them and found a great looking and cared for Black 2004 "C" (got him down to $4 K)...
It was about 80 miles away (Cash in hand). Less then a month of returning from that trip to Kids up north.
Hardest thing was finding a friend to take my car home..
Needless to say ""It is mine now"" learning it inside and out, lots of plans, Pipes, short Apes etc...
Have done so much already that I am proud of "making it mine"....

Retired so I ride often (almost daily), mostly short 50 to 300 mile trips around town or back roads and short road trips for an ice cream cone!!!

Thats my story and im stickin to it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
I got a brand new in the crate leftover Retro Spec3 at a $5000 discount. After window shopping at local dealers and on line. it was the best bang for the buck I could find.

Came down to a beautiful customized Fatboy in Texas or a leftover VTX1800R3 in Missouri. I talked with the wife before hitting "Buy it Now" on the Ebay page. She asked if the hd was going to be big enough and fast enough (she knows me). I said "probably not". She said "Buy the one you won't have to replace in a year."

Wifey is so smart! :thumbup:

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
I got one because one can put a car tire on it...but really...

- Lots of customizing options to make it yours
- Easy to work on with lots of "how to" instructions available
- Can ride long distances or around town...great cruiser
- Power and fun quotient very high

Bull

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I went to look at/buy an 1100 Shadow and they stealer was having a sale on the VTX (in 2006) so I sat on then bought a 1300C. After riding it for 2 years I decided I had to have an 1800N. And as Bull said, a car tire does fit! :)

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I hadn't had my own bike for a few years and was really feeling the itch, and at 6' 2" and 265 lbs, I wanted a bike that I knew I wouldn't look too big on. My brother had a VTX 1800C and I had Hondas in the past, so decided to find a VTX 1800. I wanted a Neo and was having a hard time finding one. A couple months later my brother offered me a hell of a deal on his C, so I bought it. 3 years later I found my N, a member had it for sale out by Chicago. Couple days later drove out to look at it and brought her home. Sold the C to my other brother a week later. 5 years later the Neo still makes me smile. The VTX is one of the best bikes Honda built, I wish they still made them, and if they would ever bring it back, I hope they do a better job then they did with the Valk. The original Valks styling was MUCH better...

·
Registered
987 Posts
April 06 got the m/c bug again after 30 plus years.....had cash money......had my heart on a HARLEY....was even willing to take a well maintained used one.....came across several unholy sweet deals but none of them "MELTED MY BUTTER"... After seeing a 05 vtx 1800 f2 Titanium Tribal on the dealers showroom floor the deal was completed less than 24 hours later......68,700 miles later with 40,000 miles on the darkside the big grin still crosses my face every time we are together in the wind...... thats my story and sticking to it.... ESKIMO

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
I think I will add. summer of 2004 Wife said.. she no longer wants to ride on motorcycles anymore... I said OK but I want a different bike...
she rode on back ... 1971 to 2004....
2004 September... stopped at Honda dealer.. look at the VTX1800 . all models.. I liked them. BUT... not right for me..

November 2004 Honda advertisement in cycle magazine.. Look at my Avatar.... I saw that.. went to dealer in January 2005.. to order and "F" in Silver..
production delays... as the "F" was to go into production in January 2005...I have the first one sold in Ohio.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I still remember seeing my first orange VTX new on the showroom floor and knew it was for me. Just totally different and stands out in a sea of black bikes. Later I loved the electric blue or blurple. Honda offered some way out choices at one time :D and I wanted an R or N.

When it came time to actually buy one, of course I snagged a yeller C....just because it was a stupid good deal. But when the glow of the good deal passed, it wasn't what I really wanted....an R or an N.

I bought the current ride since it already had most of the cool stuff hanging off it that I would have done, low miles (13000) and the seller was realistic in price. When you see something that unique you have to jump even though I had to bring it up from Miami. Still not the color I prefer but there's always a paint job possibility :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, that darkside tire thing fits too....

1 - 20 of 84 Posts