Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
amazes me, I paid $150 for an OEM exhaust bracket, which my former Bubs exhaust used, I then had it powder coated for $40, I also had to buy all the inserts and bolts etc. so total out of pocket for me was around $240.

the original bracket I had was damaged and rusted, when I tore down the bike I originally was going to keep the Bubs, then changed my mind when I decided to de-chrome. And I got some freedom performance pipes in matte black.

someone on another VTX group is looking for the OEM bracket and all the related parts (which are all on back order) so they can go back to oem exhaust.

I posted I have a complete one with all the parts they need and it is powder coated black, not the raw metal as it comes OEM. I posted my price of $225, this includes all the inserts, gaskets, bolts, nuts, etc. at $225 I am still losing money.

This person and 4 others jumped on in PMs with their high and mighty "it's used so it is only worth half" mentality.

first off it isn't used it is brand new, never installed and it is powder coated a nice shiny black which cost money
second they are on back order and retail is $150
third what moron made the rule that a used item can only sell for half the price of the same item new.

people are f-ing morons.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it vtx cafe? Just curious.
No.

I don't normally post stuff for sale, I just chime in if someone is looking and I have what the need. in this case it was a FB group for VTX owners. but I have had the same issue on other forums, car and motorcycle alike.

seems to be some general acceptance that if it is being sold on a forum it has to be sold for half the price new, even if it is brand new and on back order from a normal retailer.

Reactions: DrDolittle

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Last year a forum member posted about needing new handlebars because he wrecked and his were bent. I had my stock bars and offered to sell for $40 which included shipping. I get the war and peace version concerning his financial situation. I decide to mail them at no cost and pay the shipping. BTW I send it to the exact PO Box that I’m given.
Just a few days goes by and this dude is bugging the piss out of me about the handlebars I sent him. I finally stop hearing from him. He had not checked his PO Box. He was expecting them to be delivered to his house except he gave me a PO Box. If I could have gotten the post office to ship it back I would have.

I’m done with that. I’m glad to help people, but it only takes one bad apple to ruin it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
.....and watch out for liars along with the poor mouthers. I needed one exhaust tip for my W&H . Had to purchase the pair as the only way they would sell. Read a post about a member needed one on his bike rebuild. The single tip new about $70.00 half of the $140.00 I paid. I gave the tip to him all I wanted was $13.00 for shipping along with boxing it up for that. Two weeks went by no $13.00. He advised been busy will send. Two moore weeks no $13.00. Sent PM, he posted ,you will get your f###king money... never got it . Don't get me wrong, I won't miss a meal for $13.00. I just wanted him to have some skin in the game. I told him , I done with you and I'll will not forget. My mistake , I trusted him.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are times I rather have my stuff sit in a corner rusting they deal with some morons out there.
which is why I rarely post stuff for sale. between the complainers and the scammers it is hardly worth the effort.

Reactions: rangers4u

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
.....and watch out for liars along with the poor mouthers. I needed one exhaust tip for my W&H . Had to purchase the pair as the only way they would sell. Read a post about a member needed one on his bike rebuild. The single tip new about $70.00 half of the $140.00 I paid. I gave the tip to him all I wanted was $13.00 for shipping along with boxing it up for that. Two weeks went by no $13.00. He advised been busy will send. Two moore weeks no $13.00. Sent PM, he posted ,you will get your f###king money... never got it . Don't get me wrong, I won't miss a meal for $13.00. I just wanted him to have some skin in the game. I told him , I done with you and I'll will not forget. My mistake , I trusted him.
yeah takes all of 5 minutes to send money via paypal or venmo

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I posted I have a complete one with all the parts they need and it is powder coated black, not the raw metal as it comes OEM. I posted my price of $225, this includes all the inserts, gaskets, bolts, nuts, etc. at $225 I am still losing money.

This person and 4 others jumped on in PMs with their high and mighty "it's used so it is only worth half" mentality.

first off it isn't used it is brand new, never installed and it is powder coated a nice shiny black which cost money
third what moron made the rule that a used item can only sell for half the price of the same item new.

people are f-ing morons.
When listing used parts for sale, at the end of the ad, state price is firm, lower price offers won't be answered. This should stop the f-ing morons.

·
Registered
11,807 Posts
yeah takes all of 5 minutes to send money via paypal or venmo
Many of us won't use new methods like that. Check or USPS money order only, or don't bother.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I try to help out follow members when I can. If I have an item with no intention of selling, I'll let you have it, no need to collect dust or take up space it's yours. An example , I currently have some highway pegs for sale that I bought from a fellow member but don't need now. All I want is to break even on a deal. We live in a society now were a man's word doesn't mean much. From now on when I do sell , it's money in hand before shipping. Our bikes are old now, no other way to sugar coat that. Item's will get hard and harder to get. A lot of guys make their X, a special machine to ride and have a lot of oem items sitting around. I have a cabinet full of those again if I not selling and you need it's yours. I'm not trying to pat myself on the back, it's just my nature to help out when I can.

·
Registered
2003 VTX 1800S, 2010 Goldwing, 2009 Spyder GS
197 Posts
My wife asks me why I don’t sell my spare parts and I tried to explain that it’s not worth the hassle. I send parts to fellow VTXers and have bought both for my VTX and Wing from the forums and so far not been burned. And as for the VTX Facebook pages I gave up Facebook years ago because of the keyboard commandos (and many other things) Hell I bet I could name at least one of the jerks that messaged you :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
amazes me, I paid $150 for an OEM exhaust bracket, which my former Bubs exhaust used, I then had it powder coated for $40, I also had to buy all the inserts and bolts etc. so total out of pocket for me was around $240.

the original bracket I had was damaged and rusted, when I tore down the bike I originally was going to keep the Bubs, then changed my mind when I decided to de-chrome. And I got some freedom performance pipes in matte black.

someone on another VTX group is looking for the OEM bracket and all the related parts (which are all on back order) so they can go back to oem exhaust.

people are f-ing morons.
Your experience is the reason why I have kept my exhausts:

Picking up an 03 1800 "C" | Page 2 | Honda VTX Forum (vtxoa.com)

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Guess I can see where this mentality comes from.

In December I ordered 3 new servers for my company from Lenovo, $40,000 worth of equipment, they still haven't been shipped, back ordered and now the shipment date is pushed out to August.

kind of need this stuff, so started searching for alternatives. Dell, HP, Supermicro, all pushed back 6-8 months.

so started looking for used, refurbished, etc. this brought me to some government auctions.

picked up 3 brand new, not even opened Lenovo custom built SR650 servers on auction for $7,000 each 512GB RAM, 140TB HDD, dual XEON12 core gold processors, these are $25,000 configured brand new.

in comparison to what I ordered which were SR250s 64Gb RAM 4TB HDD, single 6 core Xeon Silver @ $12,000 each.

--

here is the deal, these SR650s were auctioned by a local county here in SoCal, it was explained at the auction, 40 of these were purchased at a cost of roughly $25,000 EACH, for a project at the county jail, they were configured at purchase to run several hundred CCTV cameras, electronic lock doors, and other jail related security systems. They were custom configured so not returnable, and the project was cancelled.

So said county just auctioned them off for roughly $0.30 on the dollar that they charged off to the taxpayers.

These are serious overkill for my needs but to get these at less than the price of the ones I configured, never opened, never configured, never used, never registered. it was too good to pass up. but DAMN. I feel sorry for the taxpayers in that county. $1 million worth of product sold for 1/4 of the paid price, and that is only part of the stuff they were auctioning off at pennies on the dollar.

I registered them, then racked and fired them up today and they are all good to go, exactly as described. Fully registered to my company now with a bit over 4.2 years left on a 5-year warranty.

government waste. ugh.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts

In December I ordered 3 new servers for my company from Lenovo, $40,000 worth of equipment, they still haven't been shipped, back ordered and now the shipment date is pushed out to August.

kind of need this stuff, so started searching for alternatives. Dell, HP, Supermicro, all pushed back 6-8 months.

so started looking for used, refurbished, etc. this brought me to some government auctions.

picked up 3 brand new, not even opened Lenovo custom built SR650 servers on auction for $7,000 each 512GB RAM, 140TB HDD, dual XEON12 core gold processors, these are $25,000 configured brand new.

in comparison to what I ordered which were SR250s 64Gb RAM 4TB HDD, single 6 core Xeon Silver @ $12,000 each.

--

here is the deal, these SR650s were auctioned by a local county here in SoCal, it was explained at the auction, 40 of these were purchased at a cost of roughly $25,000 EACH, for a project at the county jail, they were configured at purchase to run several hundred CCTV cameras, electronic lock doors, and other jail related security systems. They were custom configured so not returnable, and the project was cancelled.

So said county just auctioned them off for roughly $0.30 on the dollar that they charged off to the taxpayers.

These are serious overkill for my needs but to get these at less than the price of the ones I configured, never opened, never configured, never used, never registered. it was too good to pass up. but DAMN. I feel sorry for the taxpayers in that county. $1 million worth of product sold for 1/4 of the paid price, and that is only part of the stuff they were auctioning off at pennies on the dollar.

I registered them, then racked and fired them up today and they are all good to go, exactly as described. Fully registered to my company now with a bit over 4.2 years left on a 5-year warranty.

government waste. ugh.
They should give you a bonus imo. Gov. waste...they could care less. Kudso to a good coup for your company.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They should give you a bonus imo. Gov. waste...they could care less. Kudso to a good coup for your company.
I'm a partner here, so saving this money will enhance my quarterly bonus as I came in under budget by $20K on this project.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Don't forget to cancel the backorder from Lenovo! :D

So you ordered $40k in servers. Then you got them for half. I hope you kept the other half! :)
Now you can ask your company for a juicy bonus because you got them much better HW and much faster. What are they going to give you? A $20 Amazon gift card? (don't ask, long story)
I now, I know, you're a partner, you can't keep the other half. Dang, could have had a few more bikes!

·
Registered
11,807 Posts

--

government waste. ugh.
When it comes to computers, I thought Lenovo was "Russian made" stuff. Am I wrong? I likely have confused them with something else. Maybe Acer? Gubmint waste surprises you? One example here in Pa. 30 years ago, they passed a law to build dozens of vehicle inspection stations at a cost of a couple Mil ea. Then they built them, and a couple years later the law was struck down after they had been built, and most never used.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
When it comes to computers, I thought Lenovo was "Russian made" stuff. Am I wrong? I likely have confused them with something else. Maybe Acer? Gubmint waste surprises you? One example here in Pa. 30 years ago, they passed a law to build dozens of vehicle inspection stations at a cost of a couple Mil ea. Then they built them, and a couple years later the law was struck down after they had been built, and most never used.
Lenovo is the Chinese division of IBM personal computers.

Lenovo was founded in Bejing in 1984 as a computer/phone company and purchased by IBM in 2005.

IBM uses Lenovo for all their "Think" Branded product manufacturing, service and sales.

Government waste doesn't surprise me. I was pointing out I guess I can see this "used" "new open box" is only worth 50% or less of its new price comes from.

Government buys a $25,000 computer, cancels the project, sells computer for pennies on the dollar of what they paid. Personally, sounds to me like someone is skimming/embezzling. Using the Gov't credit to purchase the product then selling it and pocketing the cash.

Reactions: rangers4u
1 - 20 of 25 Posts