Honda VTX Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
What is it worth to me ? Thats what I sometimes ask myself. Case in point, I have some leather riding pants but saw a better pair second hand. Really, did I need them, or did I want them. Gave a price I was willing to pay and as I am small and a bit round, the amount of people these pants would fit was a small market. Seller got the shits on, so I walked off. Had he counter offered I may well have purchased. Same with bike parts, do I want it or do I need it.

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Seller got the shits on, so I walked off. Had he counter offered I may well have purchased. Same with bike parts, do I want it or do I need it.
Granted, many a seller loses a sale not realizing how tiny the 'market' might be for a given item. Case in point was my mother selling her life collection of National Geographic magazines at a garage sale (really popular events here where I've lived). She loved them, but had to sell (no space to store them) and she had no idea how few people who would visit our yard sale might actually be interested in them. One person offered her a good deal and she refused, and we ended up having to give them to the local thrift store because she had move into a tiny place and had no room for them. She got nothing for them instead of what the guy offered.

I've been on both sides of this scenario, as buyer and seller. I've sold items at garage sales with buyers offering me outrageously low offers on price marked items already drastically reduced. The more you sell 'flea market' to the public, the more you'll see they want to wear you down pestering you to lower the price. I have zero patience for this crap. I hate 'dickering' for anything.

As a buyer, I've also walked away from many sales where the seller was selling something I wanted at a ridiculously high price, and playing games with me by offering me a tiny reduction when I walk away. Once I walk away that is it.

To your point —Need it.....or rather Want it?

·
Registered
2006 Honda vtx 1300r
18 Posts
I can totally relate. I have seen every tactic.
How about when competition is high like at Oakland coliseum flea market where everyone has the same thing, a reasonable counter offer is ok...

·
Registered
41,700 Posts
I've never had a problem buying or selling on the forums I belong to.
When I first got on this forum in '08, whether buying or selling, we'd
agree on a price, I'd send the part or the check, the other guy would
do the same, the items/check would cross in the mail, and that was that.

There was one person who was slow to pay. I threatened to out him on the board.
Had my money in a few days.

·
Registered
12,399 Posts
I've never had a problem buying or selling on the forums I belong to.
When I first got on this forum in '08, whether buying or selling, we'd
agree on a price, I'd send the part or the check, the other guy would
do the same, the items/check would cross in the mail, and that was that.

There's always that ONE dude, who has to be an asshole.

·
Old Goat
26,798 Posts
Some of u folks ride Honda’s….aint u supposed to better than this…lol…my fellow man what a treat…when I joined this was more of a harmonious place….lol…we gave stuff generously some time free sometimes for postage….but that was then…this is now….party on…

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Of course this treat only works if the seller cares about their reputation on the given web site. This is why you can trust a seller more who has a lot of posts, (or at least been a long time member) and who has sold items on the site with no issues. A good reputation goes a long way.

I have bought and sold a lot of items, off EBay and on other sites, all with almost no issues. It REALLY helps to have PayPal to cover yourself for someone who doesn't come through, and to get a good reputation as a seller. These days people are spoiled with Amazon Prime 2nd day delivery, and they get pissy if something they bought doesn't show up on their doorstep the day after they buy it. The good part of this is that it does 'raise the bar' for sellers to please customers so they keep a good seller rating.

Reactions: estr bunny

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I generally never sell stuff. I am cynical by nature and cant believe people who put stuff on marketplace sites for $10 or less. Just throw the shit away! Dealing with someone at my door who is probably going to want it for 7 or 8 anyway why bother. I just don"t buy enough stuff to ever have stuff to sell I supose. Last house shift I got in a big skip bin and threw away things others may have sold.

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
I generally never sell stuff. I am cynical by nature and cant believe people who put stuff on marketplace sites for $10 or less. Just throw the shit away! Dealing with someone at my door who is probably going to want it for 7 or 8 anyway why bother. I just don"t buy enough stuff to ever have stuff to sell I supose. Last house shift I got in a big skip bin and threw away things others may have sold.
While I agree that some of the crap people bother to sell (check any Craigs list of 'General' category items) is amazingly not worth anyone's bother, I personally hate to through anything of value away. I keep a box in the garage of items bound for the local thrift store and I make a yearly donation there.

As for being cynical and not buying used items off the say EBay, or other sites, I think anyone on a budget especially is sorely missing out on the plethora of great deals 'out there'. My motorcycle jacket and boots are expensive items I bought used for a fraction of the cost and they arrived virtually new condition. The Fox Creek jacket still has a lifetime warranty! I just bought a used Harley seat for my Harley Crossbones that sells for $500.00, and it cost me $150.00 with shipping from a Harley forum member. It looks brand new! I could go on an on with deals I've found.

So give your used stuff away to charity and put your cynicism aside for used stuff and you may be pleasantly surprised. It's all about knowing what to watch out for and how to cover your azz with payments (go PayPal).

41 - 49 of 49 Posts