Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i just finished hearing a story about how a guy got his bike stolen, and I started thinking how quickly this can happen, and could it happen to me.

i started thinking why dont i have an alarm on the bike
I have one on my house, my car, i lock up my bicycle, even my bags on my bike are locked, but my scoot is unprotected.

Ive been looking at Scorpio alarm systems http://www.scorpioalarms.com/sr-i500.aspx

For those who have alarms, is there one you can recommend?
and for those who dont have one, why not? cost?

·
Registered
14,249 Posts
Alarm or not, If they want it, it only takes a few seconds to rip the wires loose and start it. Lock the forks. It is very hard to move a bike with the forks locked. But still, if they want it bad enough, they will take it.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
For me it was a no-brainer. The Insurance company offered a $150 premium discount for having an alarm. The Gorilla was about $80 and has worked well for about 2 years now. See NC Brew's page for pretty much thief proof instructions on mounting it. A. A thief would have to know it's there in the first place and B. He'd pretty well have to take the bike apart to get at it where I've got mine hidden. At the very least, the seat would have to come off and that in itself would set the alarm off.

Can't see spending $300 on one, but for $80 - it was a money making proposition for me. Check with your insurance company to see if they offer a discount for the alarm system. Oh - and don't get lazy when it comes to mounting it. Do it right and put the dang thing where they can't just cut the wires.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Gotta story about bike alarms.

A buddy walked into the bar we all stopped at on Friday nites a few years ago here in Tampa. He had this big shot-eating grin on his face and we all knew the ten month wait for his new Fat Boy had ended.

Told us it was out front - he could hardly talk thru that big old grin.

We got him a beer to celebrate and headed for the door to check it out.

GONE! Absofreakinglutely GONE!

He started blaming us for the "joke" and got a little warm but eventually realized it had really been taken.

Told the police that our best guess was no more than five or ten minutes had passed between when he parked the bike, turned on his alarm ...

The officer just said, "Those things don't stop people that know what they're doing."

No matter what you have there's some acehole out there ready to take it from you.

Save the money. Buy a Tazer. Maybe you'll get lucky ...

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
i dont have one since i live in the middle of nowhere.Also i have some very good insurance so if someone steals it i get to buy a new bike...lol

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
why dont you have an alarm on your bike?

Because I hate the damned things. In town, vehicle alarms are forevermore honk --- honk --- honking and no body pays any damned attention to them. Kids' boom boxes set them off, the wind sets them off, people bumping against them set them off. Make them go away! Take the automatic door locks with them -- I hate that too. If I want my door locked, I will lock it! :evil:

If a crook wants your bike, he will take your bike and your alarm.

prs

·
Registered
759 Posts
I don't have an alarm, but I do have insurance, and Gap insurance, and quite frankly I'm not to worried anyway. While I do remove the key from my bike, my $34,000 F-250 and my car have neither had the key removed from the switch since I bought them, with a couple of exception when I am out of town. I havn't had a problem,. and the only person I know of who has had abike stolen, had it stolen from 5 feet outside his motel room during the night. He had a $200 alarm on it, and a whell lock. The police assumed that someone drove by with a low trailer, and a couple guys picked it up, sat it on the trailer and drove off. It's like mentioned above, if a thief wants it, they will get it.

The only reason I could see for one personally would be like Rainman said where he gets a discount on isurance, that would promt me to buy one, but I still wouldn't use it.

George

·
Seat Dr
5,159 Posts
stagecombat said:
Who'd steal a Honda? :wink:
Ya know your right but they are missing out on the best bikes

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Once when I parked it at work, I left the key in and on all day. Anyone could have taken the bike, luckily I only wound up with a dead battery instead of a gone bike. Now, in the parking garage I park it where all the smokers can see it and there is always someone out there smoking. Plus, it is up on the 3rd floor, I would at least hear it as they rode it down the ramps. :cry:

G

·
0 Posts
Okay!! Here is the skinny. When I owned a Harley, I had gone to a H.O.G. meeting. There was a sheriff there to talk about motorcycles being stolen. 1).They get a pick-up truck. 2) a mattress. 3) Two or three big guys. 4) Pull up next too bike. Place mattress next to bike. Push bike over on mattress. Lift mattress into back of pick-up truck. Bye bike.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
That is why I have the Gap insurance. If the bike get stolen, the insurance will pay one part, and the GAP insurance will cover the rest. Nothing out of my pocket. Hey if they want it bad enough, they will take it.

tlyoungb

·
Registered
816 Posts
Gulfstrings said:
Gotta story about bike alarms.

A buddy walked into the bar we all stopped at on Friday nites a few years ago here in Tampa. He had this big shot-eating grin on his face and we all knew the ten month wait for his new Fat Boy had ended.

Told us it was out front - he could hardly talk thru that big old grin.

We got him a beer to celebrate and headed for the door to check it out.

GONE! Absofreakinglutely GONE!

He started blaming us for the "joke" and got a little warm but eventually realized it had really been taken.

Told the police that our best guess was no more than five or ten minutes had passed between when he parked the bike, turned on his alarm ...

The officer just said, "Those things don't stop people that know what they're doing."

No matter what you have there's some acehole out there ready to take it from you.

Save the money. Buy a Tazer. Maybe you'll get lucky ...

wondering in this instance would it have been more noticeable to have had a rotor lock than an alarm cause no one seems to notice alarms anymore.... too many false alarms. if he was trying to remove a rotor wheel lock with.... say bolt cutters or saw (in front of a bar), you think that might attract more attention. i just know that i don't even bat an eye when i hear an alarm. just my opinion. an alarm with a paging system would be better cause you can react right away and catch him in the act. hopefully you'd be in range of the transmitter.

·
Registered
662 Posts
The officer that made the call when my friend's Fat Boy was stolen did ask if he had any type of electronic tracking system. Since the bike had only been gone about a half hour and there may be a chance the thieves were still on the road and hadn't disabled it yet. No such luck.

That cop went on to say that operating in Tampa (at that time) was a truck painted like a rental with a boom installed in the back and a pull-down overhead door.

Said the guys could pull up, hook up your bike, load it in the truck, and be pulling down the door and gone while you're in paying for your gas.

BTW, my friend got a new Goldwing after his insurance settled.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Wether it would be a deterrent or not, I'd like to get an alarm... thought about going with a Gorilla, but wanted to ask if anyone here can recomend a less expensive pager-style alarm. Have checked out the Scorpio web site, are they top of the line? :?:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Pager Alarm

I would be interested in a pager alarm for when I am staying in a motel. Any suggestions on a good one

·
Registered
72 Posts
alarm

Yah man install an alarm. This one is OK considering the price and its a 2WAY. $116
http://www.carstereoexpo.com/icpertek2way1.html

It fits in the tool compartment and leaves you with a lil space.

I like the fact that its a 2 way and didnt even bother to install the siren. You could get a smaller one at radio shack if you need.

I added a mercury sensor and adjusted it so that it triggers if somone sits on the bike.

I also installed the the white wire to the brake lights as a visual and used the kickstand trigger as the cuttoff. I had to use a single pole relay for this to revers the polarity.

The remote start is cool but was kinda tricky. Theres a wire @ the silinoid that only allows the bike to start ONLY when the bike is in nuetral and or kick stand is up.

Now I was mostly interested in getting paged if the alarm triggerd since its a 2 way. The feature works great up to a couple of blocks. I'ld love to catch some dude screwing with my bike so I can take some of my aggression out on em. Know what I mean

Oh ya I looked into this one also
http://www.scorpioalarms.com/sr-i500.aspx
its a $299 but apperently can just plug into your bikes harness.

This is a small investment and as youve heard a bike can easilly be stollen especially in my neighborhood.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Alarm

SicTexVTX said:
Also i have some very good insurance so if someone steals it i get to buy a new bike...lol
I say ditto here.

Had a friend who had an alarm on her Intruder, went to meet her for a toy run & her bike wouldn't start. Turns out the alarm was sucking the juice out of the battery.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Everyone keeps saying that they will just get a new bike if it is stolen..

My X was stolen and there was about a 3 month waiting period, and of course you don't get all the money you have spent back. You probably lose over a grand at least, and of course the time to get a new one.

Now I have the scorpio pager alarm with a perimeter sensor. If someone walks closely around it it goes off. If the stay near it the pager goes off. As soon as someone kicks it, sits on it, moves it, etc the pager goes off. Of course the alarm system isnt fool proof, but if I was stealing a bike, and an alarm went off before I even touched it, I would think twice about it. I also always lock the forks and lock the rear brake rotor with a disc brake.

My stolen bike was recovered right after I got a new X, it was stripped, painted, and abused, but in pretty good shape. Unfortunately it doesn't look like the insurance company will just give me the old one too, but I'm trying.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
wow, thanks for all the responses.
good points for and against alarms.

i think i will purchase an alarm, dont know which one though,
that way i will feel like i've done something to try to deter would be thieves., and why wouldnt you if the discount in insurance covers the cost of an alarm
seems like a no brainer to me.

(but i also agree if they want it bad enough, they'll get it)

but i will feel better when i'm at mall parking lots, restaurants, and staying at hotels/motels/campgrounds.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts