Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
the biggest reason they fail, is price.

same reason electric cars fail in the majority of America except for highly dense places like L.A.,NY, etc.

the people that would benefit most from electric vehicles, the common everyday worker that commutes to a mediocre paying job in their 15 year old civic they paid $5,000 for, cannot afford an electric car.

latest statics show the average wage-earning American can afford a vehicle that costs them about $5,600 a year or $440/mo.. over the course of a 5 year loan that is a $26,000 vehicle. however the average cost of a new vehicle is $35,000 and a new electric is $55,000.

people that would be interested in an electric motorcycle are not going to spend $35,000 for one. if they were $10,000 maybe.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A neighbor 2 doors from me just bought his girlfriend a new Zero. She was all suited up with the newest riding gear and modular helmet and slowly creeping down the street with him walking behind her. I asked what the range was ; he stated about 120 km's between charges.:)

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
I am very interested in the livewire and the damon hypersport.

but I am above that "middle" income line. they would be toys for me. not for commuting or anything like that. my interest lies in the whole "technology" realm of things, I do my planet saving activities where they actually have a benefit. (off grid solar and wind powered home, gray water recycling, composting, etc.)

however, in both cases, the Livewire and the Damon, price is a factor for me, I believe both are very over priced. my second issue is dealer service. When Livewire was a part of Harley there was a large dealer network to rely on. now that they are their own company it is hit or miss, not all Harley dealers will service them, and with Damon there is no dealer network.

At least with Tesla they will come to your home for basic service, and/or flatbed the car to their service location. With a motorcycle and no dealer network to service them, it will be awhile before I spend $40,000 on an electric motorcycle. my 1500watt electric Bikoit Warthog Bicycle will have to do for now.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
This UK lad rented a livewire for one week. At the end of the day he was pretty p ! $$ed. Listen why.

yeah another issue. same with electric bicycles. there are no standards when it comes to the charging systems and the connectors. everyone uses something different. it is getting better, but it makes no sense that each company has a proprietary connector and not a universal one.

·
Premium Member
5,122 Posts
yeah another issue. same with electric bicycles. there are no standards when it comes to the charging systems and the connectors. everyone uses something different. it is getting better, but it makes no sense that each company has a proprietary connector and not a universal one.
Maybe we should create some kind of standard like USB 1-99999 and USB AAAA-ZZZZ?
I have a drawer full of those.

·
Premium Member
5,122 Posts
but it's a charging port, not a universal serial bus. there's no data transfered.
OMG download all vehicle information at every charge that way the government can monitor your travels? brilliant!
Of course, they need to know that you went to a gun show, or worse, that you spent time with your kids without being chaperoned by a school board member.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts