Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, I'm not trying to start a Harley vs Honda fight here. Did anyone go for the 'X cos a HD was out of there price range, or was it solely down to looks, or less maintenance? The one big thing HD seems to have that is head and shoulders above the 'X here, is the availability of chrome goodies and other shiny bits.

For me, I'm 22, and HD holds no nostalgia for me. The 'X was the first 'big' bike i sat on, and knew straight away thats what I wanted. It came with V&H big shots, so it had the sound, the looks (never seen such a mean looking headlamp!), and is the most comfortable of all the cruisers out there (in my opinion).

I had the chance for several sportsters, but decided to pass (again based on looks)

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
The H-D wasn' t out of my price range, as a matter of fact I went shopping there and started to get a duece or a road king... both very nice bikes in my humble opinion. But when I started researching bikes in regard to maintenance, handling, and longevity the VTX showed up in a comparision chart and was rated as a better performer. So I checked out the 1800, which was too bulky for me personally, but then I saw the 1300. I was somewhat familiar with the yamaha 1100 but wasn't that familiar with the vtx 1300C since it was a relatively new bike in 05.

Nevertheless,after all the ressearchand home work were done I bought the VTX Because I could not justify to myself paying more for a H-D than a VTX, when the Vtx was a more reliable performer. I used the savings or difference between the prices to buy mods for the X.

After 2 years and 20k miles I don't know if I will ever buy a H-D.

I ride what I like, not whats "fashionable" 8)

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I loved the look of the 1800 when it came out...went to buy one several times then I heard that the 1300 was coming out and then the C model would be released. I knew it was the bike for me.

I wanted liquid cooled because of my city traffic commute. It is big enough for me. It also fit in my budget. I also had a Honda dirt bike as well as many of my other dirt bike buddys. The Hondas always seemed to run better.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Money was not the reason for me either. I saw the R and just had to have it. Have had a few other bikes and nothing fit me as good as the VTX. Plenty of power, Looks Great, Lots of Chrome you can get for it.

On a side note went on a toy run this past sunday and the harley riders were bitching about having to buy metric tools for the bike.

George

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I didn't have a bike since my early twenties. I had a couple different bikes Yamaha, Triumph, and a Harley. When my son took the MSF course and got his license he wanted me to go and look at a Ninja he wanted to buy. I had been looking at Harleys for a couple of years but couldn't bring my self to spend that kind of money on a toy for me. The dealer that had the Ninja also sold Hondas. That was the first time I even saw a VTX. The look of the retro, less complicated then most with the carb instead of fuel injection, like the bikes I used to have. This was a machine I could understand. The price was half of the Road King I wanted. Water cooled, and shaft drive. I don't know how the belt drive on the Harley is for up keep but I know the chain on my old bikes could be a pain. Broke one on the Harley once. After I rode the X I was sold. And of course I got the red one the coolest color...

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'll say it money was an issue for me. I always wanted a nice bike (1300c) without spending alot of money for one. I feel I got a very reliable bike that looks good out of the box.

·
Registered
995 Posts
It was money first for me. While I've had many Hondas, and been very pleased...I thought dang it...it's time. But I just couldn't bring myself to spend what was necessary to get into a HD that fit me, that I liked. So I went back and looked at the Honda's.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
I've had more Hondas than any other bike. Took an X out on a test run and knew it was the bike for me. After I bought the X I sold my goldwing, then put the money from the wing and started the mods.

·
Old Goat
26,260 Posts
I hadnt been on a scoot for over 37 years so I didnt know a thing about what was out there, I intended to pay cash and to be honest when I saw the yammie 1700 with the silverado pkg thats what I wanted until I saw the price, the same dealer also sold X's said that might be in my price range well when I sat on the R it was love . The X does all I need a scoot to do.For me to ever trade would be money wasted. I will say this I looked at a victory kingpin tour and theres always the GW that I might add later for that tripping I want to do.02 Have a safe one

·
Registered
230 Posts
several reason

Money was the first for me. I always thought Harleys had that edge in the looks department and I still do feel that way, but the looks aren't worth the $8,000 more. Also, I live in Texas, so I wanted the liquid cooled. A liquid cooled engine tends to help the longevity of the engine. I own Honda small engine products and they are great! Though I love the harley look and sound, the VTX1300 looks very nice and with the right pipes sounds great as well. So, for like $12,000 I have a really nice bike, with great backs, great seat, passenger backrest, great pipes, etc... If I wanted that in a harley it looks like I'd be spending around $20,000 for almost the same type of bike. Honda's reliability in the end won it for me. I want to know that when I have 80,000+ miles on my bike, it'll still be worry free. Harleys can't really say the same thing.

the pluses of HD (softail deluxe for example) compared to the 1300....
fuel injection
6 speed transmission
more metal and real chrome, not plastic chromed parts.
a little bit better fuel economy

in the end, the better bike is the one that fits you and you like better. If money weren't an issue, I'd have a goldwing, an 1800, my 1300, a softail deluxe, a road kind and probably electraglide, and probably a few more like victory and a few older bikes for fun.....

·
Registered
842 Posts
Mine too was a money issue. I mean come on let's not throw money at the problem, let's find out the best solution for the best price. That is wise shopping...for a lack of a better term.

However, I had been sold on a VTX1300 back in 05, but then my brother-in-law let me ride his Suzuki C90, which is a nice bike too, but was approaching my cut off limit (price range.)

Then I got the HD bug, if there is such a thing and started looking at the big boy bikes, as they call them, but only could afford a Sportster. The Sportsters were too small, not good for hundreds of miles trips.

Just before looking at the VTX 1300 series again, I almost bought a mint condition 05 HD Low Rider with only 650 miles. The guy was asking less than $12k, but I couldn't feel right putting the wife and I in that kind of hole...especially, since she just got a 05 Honda Shadow Aero 750.

So, it was back to looking at Honda VTX1300 and must say that it all fell together ever so sweetly. Long story short, I ended up with a left over 06 Black Honda VTX1300C. Brand new, for way less than most HD owners were asking for their several year old Sportsters.

Now, I am not knocking HD. I can't I have never test rode one. However, I would love to demo HD Nightster. If nothing else to say I did.

I know many have said that HD's will beat you to death. I know a buddy has a HD Wide Glide and he has commented on several occassions about wishing he had a six speed gear box to bring down the RPM's on the freeway travel.

So, to say the least, I am very happy with my VTX and only down side is having to save up money to do mods, but with great places like this to swap and trade and buy, I think I will be able to mod sooner than later.

OhioBob

·
Registered
466 Posts
When I finally convinced Rev that I really wanted to ride we made a deal. He would get a new VTX1800C and I would get his 1300C. So, I learned to ride on an X. That was my first bike, but it was totaled when I was run off the road by a cage passing me on a curve.

I took the insurance money and bought what I could pay for outright - an Aero 750. I rode that for 6 months, 12,000 miles and long enough for the spokes to really get dirty. :wink: I wanted my X back, so I traded the 750 for a new 1300C. I just love it and am finally getting around to spending more money on it.

·
Registered
622 Posts
After doing the research for a year before I bought mine, it came down to get a great looking ride with low maintenance, high rider satisfaction rate or pay a extra eight to ten grand for a emblem that comes with extra breakdown's and a oil slick in my garage. Besides I don't own a pickup so I wanted something I could ride to an event not haul and ride in circles when I get there. Plus I already had a metric set of tools.

·
Registered
804 Posts
the honda name usually means bulletproof mechanicals, the retro looks way cool, and value is not a dirty word.

·
Registered
202 Posts
In 2003 I was going bike crazy after going a summer without my old Sporty 1200. I was looking at Hondas page for something affordable and found the Orange Retro on their homepage. I instantly fell in love but didnt even know what it was. After some looking around I figured it out. I knew I couldnt afford another vehicle payment until my truck was paid off, but I joined a forum anyway. That s/n was 06Retro1300 because my plan was to go to the dealer the day after I send in my last car payment and buy an 06.

That plan didnt pan out as planned, and I went through a couple late 70s Kawasakis before I got tired of maintaining them and parted them out. Then just a few weeks ago my accountant (wife) told me to go buy a bike. I knew EXACTLY (well almost) what I wanted. Now in my little circle of friends I have the coolest bike around and its going to be with me for a long time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought a new Harley 1996 Heritage Softail and sold it four years later. Now own a VTX 1300 2005. My humble opinion: the Honda is three times the bike at 1/3 the cost. Both bikes are OK, I just like the Honda better and it is much cheaper to maintain.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Because I couldn't afford a Big Dog, Ironhorse, or Road King Custom... in that order.
I've ridden metrics most of my life and you cannot beat their reliability/price combination.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Not purchasing an HD was because of the price for me, but not the retail or suggested price. It was more of the price it would cost me to get it fixed if/when it fails. The VTX1300C is my first bike and I was adviced by and ex-HD mechanic not to purchase an HD because the place that he worked at was crooked. Not saying that all are like that, but he also pointed out that Honda was more reliable. I too am using the money that I saved for mods.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.