Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a Magna VF750, but been thinking about moving up to a larger bike. The Magna's great and all, but I feel the need for a "meatier" engine, and more iron under me.
It would be great if this board could give me the final "push" with some more reasons on why to buy a VTX (1800).
Thanks.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Go test drive it, that's all the answer you will need.

Test drive as many as you can! The "X" is a great balance of bike, but is not the "end all/be all" of bikes. Hop on over and try a Harley so you will at least know what you have before you buy the X.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Depending on what you like the C model, R Model or N model but pretty much all of them will definitly live up to their names. Me I preffered the C model because it looked more race like than the R model when I bought mine in 2002, if I didn't already have a C model hehe I don't know which I would choose now. I do like that N model though. They handle very well and when you goose the gas this thing will really get moving and I mean it will be a beast when you get on it. There are alot of bikes out there that can't hold a candle to the VTX 1800. My C model has been over 140 and that is plenty for me :D The rumble is awesome when you put some after market pipes on it.

Best reason I came up with? Why in the hell would I buy a HD cruiser for twice as much money? ... It was the only Cruiser that even caught my eye I went back to it on 3 different occations before I bought it, and I paid cash for it :D I had some money in savings. You can get one of these awesome bikes for very little money in comparison to alot of others out there and I don't think you will be sorry

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had my 2002 VTX 1800R for 3 days and I can't get enough. I HAD two Goldwings (85 & 94) and just can't say enough about the VTX. It's a great bike and worth every penny (which is much cheaper than HD) Lord willing I'm looking forward to years and years with my VTX. Recommend it HIGHLY!!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Because you know you want to be able to burn the rear tire in second gear just by twisting the wick real fast...

Because it looks really cool to pogo stick the thing, i.e. smack the throttle, let it go, smack the throttle, let it go........from behind, it looks like you are riding a pogo stick. I watched one of the Northern California X Riders do it in Vegas and loved it.....then I figured out mine did the same thing...loved it some more.

Because torque is goooooooooooooooooooooood.

Because black and chrome never looked so good.

Because, even though you may choose not to do a wheelie so you don't blow a fork seal, the knowledge that your 758 lb cruiser will do it is enough to send you to the bathroom to be alone! As a matter of fact, I'll be back in a minute. :shock:

Because you can dog this freaking thing day in and day out and when you go out there at 6 in the morning to go to work, guess what.......it starts right back up again.

Because it's fun to say to guys on 750s, "When you pass on, can my daughter have your bike?"

Because it's good to be different. Despite the number of people on this board, I almost never see a VTX in Vegas. I know they are here, but I rarely see them. Most of the time, sport bike riders won't wave and the lemmings turn their heads away cause it's a Honda. I like both of these things. It's ok to be an outcast sometimes....

And the number one reason: no matter what color it is, no matter who likes it or dislikes it, no matter what mods are on it......

when you goose this biotch, bad things go away......in a hurry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
468 Posts
I think reading the posts in the technical areas, your state section (maybe active, maybe not), and here are a good start.

You'll find supporting information that the X is a good bike with a loyal, somewhat ecclectic and interesting following.

Because there are several variations on the X theme there will be different perspectives on the C, F, N, R & S.

You might also take a look at the latest review of the F over at motorcycle.com if you are a subscriber. I think it's pretty accurate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Reasons to buy a 1800 X

OK, guys that's plenty of good reasons....I sat on a F model today (I think it was an F). It had low profile tires, short fender and a gourgeous digital display. I wish the foot controls were a bit more to the rear, like what the HD people did to the V-Rod (Street Rod).
Keep sending more reasons, please. Also, should I buy brand new at the dealer or save a few thousands and get on on e-bay.
Thanks a bunch....

·
Registered
453 Posts
only you can answer that question because everyone likes and dislikes are not always the same. one suggestion: go sit/ride one and see if you like it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I had a 96 Magna 750 Deluxe just before I bought a 02 1800R VTX. The Magna was just a little faster but the VTX was way more impressive. I have no regrets and could not be happier two years later still have big smile on my face. :D :D :D

·
Registered
468 Posts
Re: Reasons to buy a 1800 X

acquasition said:
OK, guys that's plenty of good reasons....I sat on a F model today (I think it was an F). It had low profile tires, short fender and a gourgeous digital display. I wish the foot controls were a bit more to the rear, like what the HD people did to the V-Rod (Street Rod).
Keep sending more reasons, please. Also, should I buy brand new at the dealer or save a few thousands and get on on e-bay.
Thanks a bunch....
I'd see what kind of price you can get on the F. I think that is the best rendition to date.

Are you interested in the Street Rod?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
VTX x Street Rod

I really liked the "F", but we won't see any used ones for some time. The street rod seems to be nice, specially the rear mounted controls, which I like cause I tend to drive more agressively. Ican't find one for a test drive, yet. The "F" would be ideal, if it had foot controls more like the Street rod.

·
Registered
233 Posts
A very good reason for a VTX is this board. It is very active with some very helpful people to answer any and all of your questions.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Re: VTX x Street Rod

acquasition said:
I really liked the "F", but we won't see any used ones for some time. The street rod seems to be nice, specially the rear mounted controls, which I like cause I tend to drive more agressively. Ican't find one for a test drive, yet. The "F" would be ideal, if it had foot controls more like the Street rod.
The F is no Street Rod. Any number of naked bikes will trounce the SR. In the past 4 years I've owned an '01 FZ-1, '02 V-Rod, '04 919, and currently my X and FJR1300 (best bike I've had, but different class).

Of the bikes listed the V was my least favorite. It looks like they fixed many of the issues most people have with the V-Rod on the SR, but they've made it heavier, top-heavy, ugly, and slower. If this is really what you want, hang on until after the H-D dealer's meeting and they'll be blowing them out because they aren't selling.

If you are looking at something with pegs further back for aggressive riding I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the FZ-1, 919, or even a new non-current abs VFR which can be had from Honda's warehouses for ~$8000. In fact, you could almost buy any one of those, an '03 X and be money ahead of the SR.

Take a look at the thread on the X scraping in the corners. It's reality and if you are looking at any cruiser that's pretty much going to be the case.

Get a test ride before you commit to the X, it's sounds to me like you might need to weigh torque vs. cornering before you decide on one.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Because silly you get all of us when you get the X :lol:

·
Registered
109 Posts
If it is important to you, your magna probably is faster than the VTX. It won't have the power, but it will probably win stop light to stop light.

I recently bought my VTX, so here are some of the reasons that went into it for me:

First, I sold a Valkyrie Tourer last year. I regret it. I looked pretty hard at getting a used Valkyrie, but I decided on the VTX because of the riding position and the feel of the motor. They have similar power, but you get more of a sensation of power with the VTX.

I also looked at the Kawasaki Mean Streak and VN2000. Kawasaki definately makes a quality product and I think their attention to aesthetic details is superior to Honda's. The mean streak looked and felt too small to me, though it gets very good reviews. The VN2000 is just huge, and not in a good way. It is heavy to get off the side stand, heavy to try and push around with your feet, feels awkward. It also has a really low red line, so you have to shift a lot in low gears. I think a mean streak version of the vn2000 will be a winner though. Its also a first year model and that makes a bit nervous.

Yamaha's bikes have a lot less power. They are really sharp looking in a lot of ways and the aftermarket is developing impressive things for them. But...power.

I took a look at the Victory bikes too; they have some cool stuff going on at Victory and their bikes are really sharp looking. They have also been very cleanly designed with a lot of attention to details...the problem was that the cheapest bike they sell (at least that I was looking at), was the 8-Ball and it was still almost 2x the price I paid for my bike.

Ultimately, the VTX1800 has:

• A big motor with lots of power. It also reves high enough that you aren't always on the shifter.

Cool feel; at idle, you can feel those big honking pistons thumping beneath you...this sold me on the VTX over the Valk. The Valk was a sweet, sweet bike, but after several years...I really hate to say it, but it was almost boring to ride.

Lots of aftermarket developing. That was another thing about the Valkyrie; there wasn't a huge amount of aftermarket. The most exciting things that came out for it were developed by Lamont and other talented guys on the Valkyrie owner's board.

Comfortable riding position. (although the seat makes my back hurt after not so many miles...got a new one on the way)

Lots of nods from people that see it; even when trailoring it home after buying it, I had people stopping me at the gas station wanting to check it out. Almost nobody cared that it wasn't a harley, which is refreshing.

Fuel injection is cool. Its nice not having a choke, not having to mess with it in cold weather. No altitude changes...just hit the starter and off you go.

Finally, if you can get the new old stock bikes (i.e. 2002, 2003, 2004) models that are still around, you can get an amazing price. I paid about $8600 for mine out the door, thats about $3k less than dealer invoice when it came out in 2003. For that kind of savings, I've been able to add custom stuff to make the bike fit me better and still come out ahead...can't be that with a stick.
Things against the VTX

• Its a big, heavy bike. Much heavier than your Magna. That takes getting used to.

It scrapes a lot going around corners.

Not as nice details in how the wiring etc... looks. You can fix this yourself, but other makers are much better at it than Honda.

The seat is a bit annoying to get off...I'm used to removing it with a key...now I need a wrench.

Stock, I was not happy with the exhaust. Very quiet and very mechanical sounding...not much soul to it.

On the older bikes, you still have the tank seam (I think every 2005 bike now has a seamless tank)...I hate the tank seam. :p
I hope this helps.

There are a lot of cool bikes out there, but I think Honda really put together a sweet package. Its a lot of bike and for the prices some of the older machines are going for, you can get a heck of a deal on it. Compared to the competition, the prices some of these bikes are going for make this about the best deal out there.

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts