Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Silverstar hi beam burned out today and I was looking into info on them. Sylvania's web site lists the life of the H4 and 9003 low beam at 150 hours and the life of the hi beam at 50 hours. My hi beam burned out in appx. 4k miles. This explains why the short life. I have read quite a bit about them on this site and lots of comments on the short life. Well I guess I now know and thought I would share this info.

Their new Silverstar Ultra is not available in an H4 or 9003 bulb. The Ultra states is is more rugged and lasts appx. 35% longer.

I also found an interesting article on various types of lights, HID, Halogen, Xeon etc, here is the link to the article.

http://reviews.ebay.com/quot-Xenon-quot ... LISTINGS:3

I hope this will answer many of the questions I have ran across on the boards here regarding various lights.

Jim...

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have done some more research and found that there are two different silverstars manufactured, Sylvania silverstar is for U.S. and Osram Silverstar is for Europe. From the link in my first post he states that the Osram is a much better blub available in H4. Here is a web site that discusses the two different Silverstars. Just more to read but good info. I think I will get the Osram H4 this time. Life for both hi and low beam is 150 hours.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t62105.html

Here is a link to Osram:

http://catalog.myosram.com/zb2b/b2b/sta ... serminor=4

·
Registered
143 Posts
I put some Silverstars in my Triumph. They're very white, which i like. I didn't know that they had a short life. So far mine's still working, but i think i'll be getting to 150 hour mark soon. I rarely use the high beams.

What really got me was when i was buying my Silverstars the guy at the register asked me if wanted "light bulb grease". I gave him a weird look and he said the light bulbs get really hot. As i told him i wasn't interested i was wondering if he was trying to sell me grease to go on the bulb to keep it cooler. That seemed really dumb to me. When my Silverstars went in, i made sure nothing touched the bulbs. Nothing.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
z

mine have lasted almost 12000 miles running on high beam the vast majority of the time, I think those numbers may be off.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I used to work for Siemens who owns Osram so I got a discount on their lighting and even I stopped buying their products. I went through two sets of sealed beam Silverstars on my truck in less than year. Both sets formed severe interior condensation, lost available light output, and/or burned out. This is on a truck that I drive maybe 5000 miles a year.

Lockhart-Philips has some nice xenon bulbs that have a glow-in-the-dark ring around them. When the headlight is off, you can see a glow coming out of the headlamp.

Moekazi, the "lightbulb grease" is just dielectric that goes in the socket.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I've had mine on my bike for 12,000 miles. I rarely use the high beam, either. It's still a great $20 safety upgrade.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Good post... my silverstar low beam went dead last night... as others said don't user the highbeams as I have a lightbar, I would say it lasted over a yr and 15k miles. I'll put another silverstar in yet I thought it should have lasted longer... now I know

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
I've been running the same Osram Silverstar in my bike for about 40,000 miles. I don't know how many hours....but it's a lot. :lol:

I run highbeam all the time during the day.

Never touch a headlight bulb with your fingers...the oils in your skin will cause a hotspot and make it blow early. Use some latex gloves when handling bulbs.

http://www.electricalconnection.com/oth ... uro-hl.htm

·
Registered
958 Posts
I have 16,000 miles and 3 yrs on mine. I did buy the H4ST bulb, and as Poison said, NEVER touch the bulb with your fingers. I always clean the bulb with alcohol too, just to be sure. I have Silverstars in all my cars. My newer GM has DRLs so the High Beams run most of the time at 6 volts. They have been in for 50K.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Re: z

locodude said:
mine have lasted almost 12000 miles running on high beam the vast majority of the time, I think those numbers may be off.
Or you drive REALLY REALLY FAST!!!! :lol:

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I do ride with the hi beam on during daylight for better visiblilty.

I agree $20 is cheap for added saftey.

The Osram is about the same price as the Sylvania bulb.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I'm running a modulator with a Silverstar bulb and so far no problems, but it's too soon to say since I have only about 300 miles on the modulator and bulb. I put them in at the same time.

G

·
Moekazi said:
What really got me was when i was buying my Silverstars the guy at the register asked me if wanted "light bulb grease". I gave him a weird look and he said the light bulbs get really hot. As i told him i wasn't interested i was wondering if he was trying to sell me grease to go on the bulb to keep it cooler. That seemed really dumb to me. When my Silverstars went in, i made sure nothing touched the bulbs. Nothing.
Most likely he was trying to sell you a silicone compound grease uses on electrical connectors. His reference to the heat of the bulb was probably linked to the heat from the bulb migrating to the connector, over time the connector could become stuck together partially caused and enhanced by the heat. Silicon grease on the connector would help to facilitate easy removal later on.

I haven't used it on head lamps, but now that you brought it up I do recall some bulbs in the past that were a b#@*h to get out.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Ya, i figured that it was dialectric for the sockets, but the way he said it made it sound like it was supposed to go on the bulb. I could easily see him selling a tube to someone who didn't know better and have them smear it all over the bulb before putting it in to make it "run cooler".

Ya, i don't think much of parts counter people at chain stores. Well, come to think of it, i don't think much of a lot people putting on the parts either.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Moekazi said:
Ya, i don't think much of parts counter people at chain stores. Well, come to think of it, i don't think much of a lot people putting on the parts either.
You should've seen the look on the woman's face at AutoZone when I asked if they had sensor bungs.

I miss the little Napa store where I grew up....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts