Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just spoke to my brother and he told me that a bunch of his friends at work have the 1800C model and he's pretty much sold on their advise. I've told him I'd put it out on this board and he can hear it from the guys and gals that have the 1300. He rode mine and the 1800. I briefly told him about the differences so I put it out to all of you. Don't want him to regret his choice if he chooses the 1800. Thanks all for your input. No matter what his choice, well have another member on this board. Ride safe.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I had the opportunity to ride both before I bought the 1300.
I'm 5'10", 200lbs, 32"inseam.
First thing that made my mind up was the handling of the 1300. So much easier turning and manuvering than the 1800. I had a hard time at slow speeds with the 1800.
Second thing that made up my mind was the sound. The 1300 single pin crank w/ any type of aftermarket/modified exhaust sounds very good to me. The 1800 dual pin crank still sounds like a VW w/out mufflers to me. I personally don't like the popopopopopop sound.
The third thing that made up my mind was the $4,000.00 price difference.
And the last thing, for me, was the carburetor. I know I can do ANYTHING to a carb to fix it, or modify it. I'm not as confident w/ the fuel injection system & having to buy expensive "chips" for it.
Just My .02 cents

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
1300 just fit me better. I didn't test ride either one, stealer doesn't do that here, but did sit on both, and the 1800 seemed a lot more bulky... more intimidating. 8)

·
Registered
289 Posts
the thing that sold me was the sound of a single pin. 8)

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
First thing that made my mind up was the handling of the 1300. So much easier turning and manuvering than the 1800. I had a hard time at slow speeds with the 1800.
Second thing that made up my mind was the sound. The 1300 single pin crank w/ any type of aftermarket/modified exhaust sounds very good to me. The 1800 dual pin crank still sounds like a VW w/out mufflers to me. I personally don't like the popopopopopop sound.
The third thing that made up my mind was the $4,000.00 price difference.
And the last thing, for me, was the carburetor. I know I can do ANYTHING to a carb to fix it, or modify it. I'm not as confident w/ the fuel injection system & having to buy expensive "chips" for it.
Exactly!!!! Handling, sound, price and carb! Plus the 1300 just looks better....more symetrical.

·
Registered
387 Posts
For me it was all about fit. It's like wearing a glove. I would love to have the power of the 1800 packed into my C... but I have to take being comfortable over being fast.

X13

·
Registered
691 Posts
I had read reviews on the 1300 compared to the 1800. It seemed like the compaints of the 1800 were fixed for the 1300. Too bulky, heavy, et cetera. But now it seems like the Neos have fixed the problems of the 1300 (and 1800s). Tank seam, fatter forks, painted on logo, etc. Anyway love the 1300 and the carb and sound.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all. Just talked to him and I think he's leaning toward the 1300 now. He know's about this board now so he'll pick up more until the time comes. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Handling is great on a 1300, and it has enuf power to ride 2-up all day without any strain. What more could you want in a cruiser? More specifically its easy to handle in town and smooth on the highway.

·
Registered
11 Posts
a friend tol me that you can get into just and much trouble just as quick on a 1300.
Rode 2-up from Kenner to Gulfport and back Saturday with plenty of power and a good ride. The only problem is my passenger wished I had the set from the retro instead of the narrow seat on the C.

PS
Ray thanks for telling me about this board I ahve been watching it since you sent the the links back in mid August.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I'm Just Impulsive!

Fall of 03 I walked into the dealer, saw an 04 Black 1300s and said "I want that one". Talked to the sales rep a while, showed me the 1800. I thought it over for oh, 20 or 30 seconds, and said "I still want that one". Been riding effortlessly ever since and made good use of the $4500 I saved! 1800s are nice a big and all, but for that much cash, I just couldn't see a reason. Luv it! 8)

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Two words fit my 1300C. BAD ASS!!!!!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Rode my 750 Shadow Spirit for 2 yrs.

Kept looking at Hipshots tail light on his VTX1800C and telling myself I love that tailight..Since he wouldn't swap I had to buy my own tail light. The bike just happen to come along with it.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

All kidding aside. My Black Dragon rides fantastic. I am only 5' and after Hipshot lowered it 2" I can flat foot it. I can handle it very well.

I know for a fact I couldn't and wouldn't ever ride Hipshot's. For one if you sit the bike upright I can't even touch the ground. Can't even tip toe much less right up it on my own.. :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
X13 said:
I would love to have the power of the 1800 packed into my C... but I have to take being comfortable over being fast.

X13

Give it some time and im sure someone will make mods that will make the 1300 as fast/quick as the 1800.. HP/Torque numbers.

·
Seat Dr
5,159 Posts
VTX4BRENT said:
the thing that sold me was the sound of a single pin. 8)
Samething for me. That single pin engine is so classic V-twin rumble. I have 1800 guys and just about everybody I ride with say the bike sounds sweet. I know the 1800 guys say they have plenty of power but man the 1300 isn't a slouch at all.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
BadX said:
I know the 1800 guys say they have plenty of power but man the 1300 isn't a slouch at all.
Good point.. My 1300X is my first bike ever!!! I cant see why I would need much more power?!!! But who knows.. when I figure this stuff out, Maybe more power would = more fun??!!

·
Seat Dr
5,159 Posts
txvtx1300 said:
Maybe more power would = more fun??!!
= more tickets :wink:
I ride my wife's Aero 750 some and man the 1300 has plenty of power trust me. The Aero is a great bike and I read and have people tell me all the time their smaller bikes have no trouble keeping up with the bigger bikes.....Riiiiggghhhttt! They only keep up because we let them :wink: Example.....running 75 mph on the Aero and twist the throttle to hit 80, it takes what seems like a minute to get there. Twist the throttle on the X and BAM! your running 90.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts